Status
Not open for further replies.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Lots of clubs will be eyeing off their first rounder. West Coast have later picks comparable to ours
Currently have 29, 36, 49, 65 - 1532 compared to our picks 28 40 & 44 - 1468 or 26 40 & 44 - 1520 points

That's only a problem if they use their entire draft hand beyond first rounders and we don't. Or if we don't improve on any of our picks. Moreover, you can't just bundle an unlimited number of late picks and ship them off to a club, apparently there needs to be a symmetry between the number of picks and the number of places available on a list (I guess it was to stop the 'rort' of countless late junk picks being used).

Anyhow I still think we are very much in the box seat. Hawthorn might try but with the value of what they have to offer for they'd get they'd definitely want something back, we don't need to make that demand. Likewise, Geelong could trump us with their first three picks, but they are in such desperate need of a youth injection, effectively wiping out their draft hand for one pick is probably not the road they want to go on. Again all things being equal we'd have to be favourites to get it at the moment.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Everyone is getting carried away by their mauling of Dad’s Army last night. First final, they only beat the Lions. I’m not saying they aren’t a good side, as they clearly are, but don’t judge them on one very good result and performance. We were no chance against Adelaide in 2017 after they mauled the Giants in week 1, and the finals chokers (Cats) in the PF. But we mauled them when it counted. Don’t discount Port imo.
in regards to us taking on the Dees, you really think we’d be no chance? I don't for reasons I outlined previously about why I think we had a down year. A long recovery from the season to rest up, a full on preseason for the first time in a while and I think we can match them. What’s wrong with Nank, Prestia, Cotch and Dusty taking on Gawn, Trac, Oliver and Viney? With Bolton, Shedda, and some developing younger players rotating through there too? I think we will hit back pretty hard myself, but who knows🤷‍♂️

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
Speed out of the middle I think we already have the potential there, Bolton and RCD are both very dynamic out of the centre.

Intercept defender = we have plenty surely?? Vlastuin the pick of the bunch.

Agile Medium fwd - I like it but hard to fit him In with dusty down there, so will have to settle For dusty 🤣
L
Speed in delivery speed in finding space speed in quick hands. That’s what I mean. They move it on and spread quickly. Petracca runs from back to forward with speed . Cotchin hasn’t got it anymore. We need to adapt. I am all for rcd and Bolton.

Vauclose

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
We need to hit the draft hard. We desperately need “A” grade midfielders. The benchmark is Melbourne. I’m not completely sold on Dow, RCD or Ross. We might be lucky and one pushes through to be an elite midfielder. To put ourselves in the window to win another flag, we need an elite midfield, plus a few extras. Edwards isn’t the player he was, Meat Ball has dodgy strings, the Captain has lost his explosiveness, Lambert is brilliant but he‘s not getting any younger and the Champ is coming back from a pretty serious injury. Plus, they are all around the 30 mark. So the midfield needs an overhaul. Maric is working magic with our Rucks, the Tank and Soldo are a great combination. Can’t wait to see Soldo back on the park. We are going to have to bite the bullet and release either CJ or Chol. Both have deficiencies. We have to trade one out so we can upgrade on an existing pick or gain an extra first round pick (not easy, as their exposed form is largely built on “promise”). Thank God we swapped picks with Geelong. It’s delivered a small win.

The media are talking about Geelong being at the crossroads in terms of the direction that they go with their list, yet none of them have mentioned any thing about us being in a similar position.

The issue for us is the decisions to be made by Chol and CCJ who are both yet to re-sign.

The longer it goes on the more it becomes a possibility that one and/or both of them are seriously considering taking offers from rivals. The talk this week that the Suns are interested in getting both Chol and CCJ makes a heap of sense from their perspective. Combined they'd give the Suns a boost to their ruck and KPF ranks and would both be almost assured of playing regular senior footy.

If they were to both leave it creates a bit of a issue for us as Chol and CCJ are our next in line behind Jack & Tom up forward and Nankervis & Soldo in the ruck, and even though we still have the likes of Ryan & Colina already on the list, they are still a few years off of being ready to go. Even longer for a couple of draftees picked up this year.

Which makes them staying quite important in terms of whether we rebound to be a top 8 side again in 2022 or entering rebuild mode heading into next year. And you can see that the club is thinking about that possibility given the way Matt Clarke has been talking about how good the draft looks and how we've been exploring how other dynasties went about things when their eras ended.

Lions fell in a hole quite quickly, Hawks tried to hold on, but have become a bit of a mess, while the Cats kept topping up trying to jag another flag and now stand on the edge of a big cliff. As I said right now we're at the crossroads and the next 6 weeks are quickly becoming quite important

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
No. But that is now the yardstick isn’t it? They play a chaos game but with speed of movement. We need to find petracca Oliver types.
We may already have them but with no VFL, they haven’t developed yet? Petracca type tough to get though as he was a pick 2 and is genuinely elite

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
The media are talking about Geelong being at the crossroads in terms of the direction that they go with their list, yet none of them have mentioned any thing about us being in a similar position.

The issue for us is the decisions to be made by Chol and CCJ who are both yet to re-sign.

The longer it goes on the more it becomes a possibility that one and/or both of them are seriously considering taking offers from rivals. The talk this week that the Suns are interested in getting both Chol and CCJ makes a heap of sense from their perspective. Combined they'd give the Suns a boost to their ruck and KPF ranks and would both be almost assured of playing regular senior footy.

If they were to both leave it creates a bit of a issue for us as Chol and CCJ are our next in line behind Jack & Tom up forward and Nankervis & Soldo in the ruck, and even though we still have the likes of Ryan & Colina already on the list, they are still a few years off of being ready to go. Even longer for a couple of draftees picked up this year.

Which makes them staying quite important in terms of whether we rebound to be a top 8 side again in 2022 or entering rebuild mode heading into next year. And you can see that the club is thinking about that possibility given the way Matt Clarke has been talking about how good the draft looks and how we've been exploring how other dynasties went about things when their eras ended.

Lions fell in a hole quite quickly, Hawks tried to hold on, but have become a bit of a mess, while the Cats kept topping up trying to jag another flag and now stand on the edge of a big cliff. As I said right now we're at the crossroads and the next 6 weeks are quickly becoming quite important
Pretty well agree with you but I think Ryan is going to surprise you and others and develop really quickly. Needs to put on size for sure, but he moves well, is aggressive in the ruck from what limited views I have had of him, and he can certainly take a mark.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other clubs will jump ahead in the draft from matching bids
Pick 7 will get bumped back from Daicos & Darcy, Pick 19 will get bumped back by Mac Andrew

I dont look at it that way and really cant understand people saying pick #7 is really pick #9 or pick #14 is really pick #16 etc

We will have the 7th live pick available to us and will select the 7th best kid available
Daicos & Darcy would be unavailable to us even if we had pick #1 so why even consider them at a pick number

I would be looking at them as being outside the draft but just gets taken during the draft

Jungle Noise

Senior List
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Bolton has petracca covered comfortably at the same age. But yeah another one would be nice.

Different types of players.
Petrracca will constantly get high possessions creating more damage around the ground, more often .
He’s involved more often in chains as a result.
Bolton is your X factor that does something unpredictable, inspirational.
These moments are generally forward of the Centre only .
He’s currently a Low - mid possession gamer that hopefully he can build that up to a consistent level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Petrracca will constantly get high possessions creating more damage around the ground, more often .
He’s currently a Low - mid possession gamer that hopefully he can build that up to a consistent level.

He’s only low poss getter because he’s not getting enough opportunities in the middle. This has to change next year.

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Jackson and pickett have become guns in their
second year, we might get lucky and they can
Develop quickly.
Yeah, they're both looking good. But I would argue Melbourne's core for this era is Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, May, Lever. All in their prime. Jackson and Pickett are cream on top types, so it's easier for them to come in and play good footy as bit part players. I fear our core is closer to the Cats in terms of getting a bit older and slower, and more injury prone. We can add players who can become good fairly quickly, but we're in a position where we need to replace our core players, not add cream. This is where Hopper/Green types are appealing, being that 2 to 5 years in the system, and closer to their prime.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep. Was clear last night that a shallow, old, slow midfield getting belted by a bigger, faster, deeper midfield was the key to the game. RCD I could see growing into an Oliver style mid if he can build his tank. We need to load up on quality mids. The thing is, Oliver and Trac were drafted in 2014. So we need to be patient, and not expect a couple of good kids to make the difference in the next couple of years.

It also gives me comfort that if we can have a better injury run next year with our experienced mids that we can bounce to a fair degree. Not sure we'll be a premiership threat considering the younger, emerging teams, but certainly in that 4 - 8 range.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
I've been all about buffing our midfield for ages. You can (generally) get by with a single quality forward and some very capable ones, provided you have a deep and gun midfield and a solid defence. All we had was Jack in 2017 and 18 and we were premiers and minor premiers.

2017 defence speaks for itself, but we also had more numbers around the ball in the midfield. Dusty played more mid then you had Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Grigg, Graham, McIntosh, Lambert, Ellis but our forwards also came and got involved a lot too, you'd often see Caddy, Rioli, Butler and Castagna way up the field assisting with pressure and darting back. Pickett and Spargo do that for Melbourne, and Brown/McDonald push up quite high too.

We have as deep a midfield on paper these days I think, but it seems there has been a drop off on numbers to contest, plus injuries and a little ageing, so we aren't as dominant in that area. Where has our vaunted pressure and surge gone? It clearly still works, it's how Melbourne is playing.

We need to add some quality mids asap.

EDIT: With that said, let's look at the possible midfield group now. I feel Cotch is the only one who'll be considered to have dropped off considerably as I still think Edwards was just hampered this year. Dusty, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham, Bolton, McIntosh, Lambert, Baker. We should be right, but I reckon we need another of quality. If we can get Mitchell cheap and still hit the draft hard, and/or get Green now, we look good. Our defence is great when all fit.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Like I said Bolton has him covered statistically at the same age. And that's despite playing his first few years as a raw forward pocket.

Petracca was underwhelming for his first 5 or so years. Bolton is nowhere near peaking.

An Oliver type would be great though

Will Brodie is probably on the market for like a pick in the 60s or 80 so a pick we wouldn’t use. I reckon we have a crack

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Melbourne are the flavor of the month and they looked unbeatable last night and people are thinking wow how can they be beaten

Lets have a look at some of the facts here
They played a slow old geelong that were just not upto finals football both personnel and game plan which fueled the fire and melbourne stepped on the cats thought.

2019 GF Richmond destroyed a stronger faster younger fitter GWS that was meant to be the most talented list ever
I think too much is being made from last nights game and melbourne were really playing against a rubbish version of the cats who are finished

chriso11

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
I've been all about buffing our midfield for ages. You can (generally) get by with a single quality forward and some very capable ones, provided you have a deep and gun midfield and a solid defence. All we had was Jack in 2017 and 18 and we were premiers and minor premiers.

2017 defence speaks for itself, but we also had more numbers around the ball in the midfield. Dusty played more mid then you had Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Grigg, Graham, McIntosh, Lambert, Ellis but our forwards also came and got involved a lot too, you'd often see Caddy, Rioli, Butler and Castagna way up the field assisting with pressure and darting back. Pickett and Spargo do that for Melbourne, and Brown/McDonald push up quite high too.

We have as deep a midfield on paper these days I think, but it seems there has been a drop off on numbers to contest, plus injuries and a little ageing, so we aren't as dominant in that area. Where has our vaunted pressure and surge gone? It clearly still works, it's how Melbourne is playing.

We need to add some quality mids asap.

EDIT: With that said, let's look at the possible midfield group now. I feel Cotch is the only one who'll be considered to have dropped off considerably as I still think Edwards was just hampered this year. Dusty, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham, Bolton, McIntosh, Lambert, Baker. We should be right, but I reckon we need another of quality. If we can get Mitchell cheap and still hit the draft hard, and/or get Green now, we look good. Our defence is great when all fit.
Is it time to try Vlaustin in the midfield again?

I get the obvious “no way”.. but maybe a bit deeper thought?

would you have put Rioli on HBF?
This draft is full of midfielders and we have 4 quality early picks with the potential to improve on that further. No need to rob Paul to play Peter when we can address our midfield if we draft we’ll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back