List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be willing to give up one of our seconds this year or our second next year (not North's second we just got)
Regarding money it's hard to answer not knowing our cap or how it's structured but anywhere in the realms of $350-500k per year. That's in all honesty a guess though as I admittedly have no idea.
It's pretty reasonable for a 21 year old kid with huge x-factor and bucket loads of potential.
Honestly i think we have him covered with Stack.
But we could get involved in the trade that could land us something juicy if he chooses someone like Ess who have pick 11 then daylight.

Exactly, Hawthorn brought in O'Meara & Mitchell in 2016 a year after their 3 peat thinking it would get them back in the mix, and after a brief burst of life have steadily gone backwards ever since. Yet somehow he is going to be the difference is between us winning and not winning a flag.
They also traded out a few of the integral players from their premierships.

That is so sad.
Meanwhile over in Europe football fans are treated to this by their cheer squads.
I really wish we adopted some of this here

Rebuild the southern stand at punt rd end as a single tier like spurs and with a bit of coordination and buy in and we might get there.

Mitchell automagically turns us into a genuine contender again next year.
Yes with no injuries and playing at home we might contend again anyway but add a player like Mitchell and we definitely contend again.
like you said though, not sure hawks would let him go for what we offer and can we fit him into the cap anyway?
no reason why we can’t get an established player and use four picks at the draft. Cap space is the only obstacle,
Keep our powder dry until Wednesday and see what happens.
Pick 15 would be acceptable in my eyes on the proviso we still have 2 1st rnd picks.
(Moving Caddy on might help with the cap).

Macrae won’t leave the dogs.
de goey is an interesting one. Would like.

I wonder if Richmond could improve De Goey's effort levels and consistency. From the outside, he seems to have A grade talent but D grade work ethic, resulting in an inconsistent B grade player that can occasionally produce something special.

Nah, thats fair enough,

I think De Goey, or Macrae next year via free agency are better options among others and I am banking on JR and Tarrant keeping it going.

Even Macrae showed his age I think in the GF so maybe he is a miss

The player we should be targeting next year is Touk Miller he will be 26 years old and in his prime and a good time to come back home to Vic.

I just don't think Mitchell puts us back into genuine contention, simple as that.

WE will make finals but Melbourne will need injuries and other issues for them to be beaten

Grimes. Tarrant. Vlastuin.
Short. Broad. DRioli.
Pickett. Mitchell. Stack.
Lambert. Lynch. Graham.
Martin. Riewoldt. Baker.
Soldo. Edwards. Prestia.
Cotchin. Balta. Nankervis. Bolton.
+Rcd.

:moustache:

Because you’re not following that plan, you’re trying to avoid a cliff.

As I’ve clearly said the script for winning a premiership has continually be proven by the Pies, Hawks, Dogs, WCE, Us and Dees.

Get top 5 picks in and build around them in 3-4 drafts. Again even the cats did that just they got f/s to replace their top 5s.

And a team without multiple MVP type players won’t win a premiership. A team full of support players ends up being 4-10 side.

So draft picks are unreliable? May as well trade them for AFL quality.

What top picks? Their only top 5 pick outside Buddy in 2014 was McVeigh. They are in fact an exception to the rule as they’re best players like Goodes, Parker, Hanners, Kennedy are later picks or trades.

Yeah and they have 2 top 5 picks Boak and Rozee. Boak is old and rozee young neither in their prime.

proving that premierships are hard to win.

Getting players wasn’t why they failed. A terrible succession plan and hubris was what killed them.

Gibson, Rioli, Frawley, Stratton, Birchall, JOM, Shoenmakers all played less then 10 games in 17 and they got rid of their core key players in Mitchell and Lewis in 17 and Hodge the year after.

The Hawks, Lions us and Dees are examples of how the system is meant to work. The cap (especially 95% and 105% banking) and draft are meant to ensure you can’t stay at the top. So when you’re there you need to go all in.

cats, us and Dees show it takes 7-12 years to get a flag, Hawks and Dogs pinched one early, but the Hawks real dynasty started in 13 when Buddy, roughy, and Lewis were in year 9.

Dogs and Dees now with Petracca year 7, Bont year 8, etc.. are now coming into that time. But that doesn’t mean you’ll win a premiership just means you’ve got your best shot.

We do have a solid draft hand but hardly enviable. But as I keep pointing out you need a bunch of really high picks to be your match winners. You don’t replace Dusty with pick 7 or Cotchin with pick 15. You need top 5 picks to replace those guys or an incredible amount of luck.

Instead you give them the best support now from the draft and then dive down the ladder to get a bunch of top 5 picks in quick succession, Sydney (with help of academy) and WCE exploit this better than anyone and why they’re such power houses of the competition.

No winning a fourth is the goal!

Setting up the club to win more in the future with our current kids is a pipe dream.

RCD and Bolton IMO have top 5 mids in the comp potential but it’s a big if and the only other 2 guys with A grade potential are Stack and Balta. Cotchin and Martin looked like potential brownlow medalist in their first seasons.

We need to go all in to win the fourth now, and then rebuild when the chance has passed, by hitting the draft as hard as possible with a couple of top 5 picks and a bunch of other first and second rounders when that time comes.

Also, I’m not saying trade 7 unless it’s for Callaghan or Tom Greene etc. But 15 should be on the table as we have a shot at a flag even if it’s not a perfect or guaranteed shot. Because our next rebuild could be Saints with Reiwoldt or GWS with all their top picks, or Lions with their bunch of top picks etc.
It takes a lot to go right to win a premiership especially with circular nature of the league.

Personally I think Hawks did it right, they gave another flag a decent shot (although trading out leaders was a mistake) and now they’ve got a chance to stockpile top 5 picks and other early picks over 2-3 drafts before charging up the ladder in the second half of the decade.
For starters i'm in the get mitchell camp.Pick 15 the Hawks would jump at it.But i'd want a future pick back.
Having said that.
If you wanna go all in then i think we almost sell the farm to get our hands on picks 2 & 3 this year.
To achieve it we'd have to some pretty good ass kissing towards the Giants/Suns & Bombers and less kissing towards the Pies.
Getting picks 2 & 3 would almost certainly set us up post Cotch/Shedda/Presta etc.
In the end it would look something like this:
2021:Callahan/Ward/Pick 28.
22:pick 19-25/36
And we also have plenty of cap space for some FA's.
So i'm all for some ass kissing if it achieves the above.

51 won't be enough for dodo to get Hill. Wonder if they'd do 26 and 28 for 11?

38 and 40 for pies 27.

Take 7, 11, 15 and 27 to the draft. Or give 15 and future 1st for GCs pick 3 and take 3, 7, 11 and 27.

I’d do that deal if I was Dodoro but you know he‘s going to be a campaigner about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back