List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume the first incident to which you refer was the O’Dea hit on Greening. What was the second incident?

Edit: It is ok, I found it.

Gee what a sad story for that family , I can’t stand the thuggery of yesteryear , reading about green)ng was sickening and the coverup to avoid criminal charges pretty disappointing indeed we can be thankful the game has progressed from those Neanderthal days

Gee what a sad story for that family , I can’t stand the thuggery of yesteryear , reading about green)ng was sickening and the coverup to avoid criminal charges pretty disappointing indeed we can be thankful the game has progressed from those Neanderthal days

Yep, even playing under age during the 70's was interesting to say the least - have a face full of scars as a consequence. Still say striking on the field has to be treated akin to murder in the street.... getting there I guess some 50 years later

And yet, he’s still unsigned and has been all year? Perhaps the list manager and recruiters are yet to be convinced he will make it. Fwiw, I hope they sign him up again and give him more opportunity
What hasn’t stacky signed yet, should I be worried
Not every contract renewal gets announced in the media, there's usually a couple each year getting a 1 year extension that never gets announced

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard and posted this a few weeks ago.

First I heard was mid year. Apparently not happy with the treatment of his OP last 18 months from WC, didn't think much of it.
But then second rumour come out that he was unhappy with some of the playing list (and potentially coaches).

Now, nothing concrete has been confirmed, but it has been floating around for a few months that I am aware of.

I would have him in a heartbeat!

And I reckon he would have been well compensated at West Coast (full disclosure I have no idea about his last deal), so perhaps he is in the position to take a little less somewhere else. It all depends on what a little less is!
Don’t think he is a guy we would look at. From what I have heard nobody rates yeo more than yeo.

Phar Ace

Off topic I know, but interesting enough for us all to comment on here. These stories are awful. These two, Greening and Boyle are two examples of where an illegal incident completely destroyed the player’s very promising career. From what I can gather the Neale strike on Boyle was pretty clear, a gratuitous coathanger after the ball had left the area. By a huge man mid career on an 18yo in his 6th game. It is unforgivable really.

The O’Dea strike on Greening is murkier, as nobody witnessed it. It seems to have involved more than the ordinary amount of guilt you attach to these incidents because O’Dea to my knowledge has never publicly explained what he did, how he did it, or why he did it. If he’d just king hit Greening behind play there would more likely have been facial injuries, and O’Dea may have eventually come out and admitted to it. What seems to have occurred is something even more sinister than that, where O’Dea, a policeman, has applied some pre-planned technique to Greening’s neck causing massive life threatening and coma inducing injuries, and some permanent brain damage. Perhaps think of the Phillip Hughes incident, but probably deliberately administered. Thankfully not quite as devastating. He got 10 weeks for it, so it was taken seriously, but it would be interesting to know what penalty he’d have received had the entire truth been known.

So many other dangerous strikes took place where the player was able to play on in their career. But every hit you get like this robs you of confidence, or focus, or can by degrees damage your brain. I am not one who thinks all hits to the head are wrong, but if they are unprovoked and seriously dangerous they are. Sometimes you get sick of a player belting you and just decide to give him a taste of his own medicine, in that case I think fair enough, if it proportionate etc.

It is funny about St Kilda at that time. One of their players in that era was Stuart Trott, who apparently was a tough guy, trained boxer, but to my knowledge, always a fair ball player. He was addressing our junior team once as part of the zone program St Kilda had, and I made a smart remark about knocking opposition players out as if it was funny. He looked at me and said something like: "if you think that is funny or tough you are as weak as piss. Tough players make the ball their object, not the man.” You can bet those thoughts always stayed with me, and I felt embarrassed I had made such foolish remarks. So it wasn’t as if all Alan Jeans’ players were thugs or that he routinely incited these thuggish acts.

It would be good to know how these shocking Neale and O’Dea incidents unfolded though, and who played what part in them.

Yeo is like a match made in heaven for Richmond.
28 years old next Friday and if he can get his body right still has a solid few years left.
Cap space is clearly the biggest issue here and whether or not we are willing to jeopardise our draft hand this year.

I'd love Yeo and wouldn't be mad if we went hard for him, but im leaning toward just going to the draft, but happy either way.
*if the rumour is true that he wants out

I have to laugh at Silvagni being critical of Carltons recruiting targets this year. The bloke butchered their list when he had the reigns. They should make him go through each of his trades and rate them a pass/fail. That would be good listening

the bloke is bitter and twisted and will take any opportunity to take a shot at the blues. And I’m here for it.

I have to laugh at Silvagni being critical of Carltons recruiting targets this year. The bloke butchered their list when he had the reigns. They should make him go through each of his trades and rate them a pass/fail. That would be good listening

Heard him last year, along the lines:

“I really liked MacKay because blah blah blah….”

Lochie O’Brien subject is raised, “I wasn’t so sure but our recruiting manager was a huge rap for him…”

Did not leave a good impression with me.

Last edited:
for me 2 outta the 3 are great men,one of em was omnipresent in 2 of the most deliberate horrific on field incidents to ever occur
in the VFL in 1972 which happened to be only a week apart,the 2nd incident,the one after the much publicised and infamous first one, involved an 18yr old
in only his 6th game loosing the sight in one eye for the rest of his life courtesy of a king hit from a so called tough man
now i know u cant be fully responsible for what your players do on the field but i find it staggeringly ironic that the three most blatant
acts of assault,on the field, on an individual in the history of the game,thats including the Bruns incident now,were overseen by a cop or former cop :think:
coincidence ? GAGF'D(not u RATD);)
I didn't know about the second one but yeah, I hate thuggery. You might be right, given Dermie performed some disgraceful acts under Jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back