Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Looking at the contracts ending in 2022 - I reckon we could see a major flush out at the end of next season. Make or break seasons for Aarts, RCD, Martyn, Rioli, Ross plus retirements of Cotch, JR, caddy, edwards, pickett
If we can't make use of our excess picks with upgrades, pushing one or two into next year wouldn't be a bad idea either.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It's a no brainer if we go down the path of recruiting Talia, he provides us with flexibility. Even more so with Dave retiring and CCJ and Chol leaving.
Having two big and strong backs allows broad to play his running game and grimes as 3rd man up.

This year when Balta and Broad were out, we still had dave and grimes with Garthwaite coming in, id have Talia ahead of Garthwaite every day of the week including weekends.

Now, hypothetically speaking let's say Nank or Soldo go down, Balta can then play 2nd ruck. The backline still remains strong with Talia, Grimes, Broad
And, if Jack or Lynch goes down, Balta can then play as the 2nd main forward. The backline structures still stay in place, meaning backline talent.

Samson Ryan (20 years old/206 cms), has now skyrocketed into 3rd as a ruck/forward with CJ and Chol departing.
I have watched him carefully and imo is 2 years away from perhaps being a regular. He's strong overhead, plays aggressively but needs to put on more size and is still learning the caper. Same as Biggy, not ready and would easily be pushed aside in a one on one contest, needs to put on 10 kgs+

Miller one game, I like him but let's be honest here who would you trust going into RD 1 on either Curnow or McKay, Miller or Talia?
Ben will get more chances during the year but he's not a walk-up start as we speak.

Talia just makes list sense for at least 2 years, whilst we restock via the draft on young key backs/forwards and allow Ryan, Miller & Co to gain more experience before they break into the team.

For those who have forgotten about Talia, here are his 2019 highlights reel;

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
I've been thinking that as well. 450 for 5 years is really low balling yourself, unless you think you are never get better than what you are now. Then throw in he's leaving Richmond for uber-minnow North Melbourne for that little money and it becomes stranger still. Again would like to hear confirmation from the club as to what is happening.

maybe we still trying to chnage his mind even though he told the club

Perhaps can get some of the leaders and talk him out of it. Eg jack could confide in him that he is retiring next year therefore the spot is ours or transition occurs next ala when Richo retired

Talia in. Garthwaite out. What’s the big deal?

Yep, that won't make the back page of the Addy or the HS - it will be mentioned between Dapto dogs and the obituaries

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
If we can't make use of our excess picks with upgrades, pushing one or two into next year wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Yeah - we'll prob have 8+ picks at this stage for this draft - pending results from CCj and Chol and other trades and we'll possibly only use 5-6 picks. I agree, hopefully we can upgrade and push into next year with the remaining

Barnard

All Australian
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
We know Narkle was happening, in that T71 is right. But T71 is saying that we are in close negotiations.

So if Geelong has rethought their list needs and wants a younger and faster team then Narkle is an obvious guy to offer more $ to and say they will play him. So maybe Geelong has bid us out of the game. or not. We'll see.
Could also be the case that now both chol and CCJ are leaving the list has other needs than Narkle.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah - we'll prob have 8+ picks at this stage for this draft - pending results from CCj and Chol and other trades and we'll possibly only use 5-6 picks. I agree, hopefully we can upgrade and push into next year with the remaining
Don’t mind this at all , we got a load of experience . There’s actually no better time to bring so many kids in as we can take our time developing them , no use doing this when they’re all gone. Exciting time

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Could also be the case that now both chol and CCJ are leaving the list has other needs than Narkle.
I gotta be honest I’ve always been dubious of our interest in narkle coz I’m unconvinced he offers any more than say rcd right now . More than happy to draft unknowns ,

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Clurey >>>>> Talia
As a ball user, not as a defender. That's why he was dropped from a team that uses 188cm Jonas and 191cm McKenzie as key backs.

If we nail this draft, then we can trade aggressively for the next few years - perfect timing.
As much as the current climate makes it hard to positively mention anyone associated with that shitstained leech of a club, the shinboner does some great analysis.

Barnard

All Australian
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I gotta be honest I’ve always been dubious of our interest in narkle coz I’m unconvinced he offers any more than say rcd right now . More than happy to draft unknowns ,
I was the same, I posted a day or 2 ago I wasn’t fussed either way. For me he would have only been a borderline senior player with a fully fit list.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
It's a no brainer if we go down the path of recruiting Talia, he provides us with flexibility. Even more so with Dave retiring and CCJ and Chol leaving.
Having two big and strong backs allows broad to play his running game and grimes as 3rd man up.

This year when Balta and Broad were out, we still had dave and grimes with Garthwaite coming in, id have Talia ahead of Garthwaite every day of the week including weekends.

Now, hypothetically speaking let's say Nank or Soldo go down, Balta can then play 2nd ruck. The backline still remains strong with Talia, Grimes, Broad
And, if Jack or Lynch goes down, Balta can then play as the 2nd main forward. The backline structures still stay in place, meaning backline talent.

Samson Ryan (20 years old/206 cms), has now skyrocketed into 3rd as a ruck/forward with CJ and Chol departing.
I have watched him carefully and imo is 2 years away from perhaps being a regular. He's strong overhead, plays aggressively but needs to put on more size and is still learning the caper. Same as Biggy, not ready and would easily be pushed aside in a one on one contest, needs to put on 10 kgs+

Miller one game, I like him but let's be honest here who would you trust going into RD 1 on either Curnow or McKay, Miller or Talia?
Ben will get more chances during the year but he's not a walk-up start as we speak.

Talia just makes list sense for at least 2 years, whilst we restock via the draft on young key backs/forwards and allow Ryan, Miller & Co to gain more experience before they break into the team.

For those who have forgotten about Talia, here are his 2019 highlights reel;

I can see the value of Talia next year, but I am also big on Miller for the future and realistically Miller should be one of the future backs.

My main concern with Talia, is he will do to Miller what Lynch/Riewoldt/Nank/Soldo have done to CCJ.

Talia would play as first choice FB or CHB, supported by Balta, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, and Miller would spend another year in the VFL. At the end of said year, he might also be one who wants out for more opportunities rather than sitting in reserve grade wasting his career. He was drafted in 2017, to still be sitting on the sidelines in 2022 behind others would not be good for his career hopes.

You know that we can still do this irrespective of recruiting Talia. Recruit does not guarantee select selection in any club.

No s**t. But we will play him for sure. Why would we recruit a 30 year old to play in the VFL

dusty1234!

2017 2019 2020
Jan 14, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Had a dream, Narkle signed for Adelaide.
We signed Talia, get pick 20 from north for CJ.
Traded out picks for a player, who knows.
And traded into next years draft.
Then next year we brought him home. Who you ask?
Ben King
Ok, so this was obviously a bit of a joke, but I am serious on Ben King.
I've been told we are keeping a eye on him, specifically for next year when he is OOC
I don't think we would be doing a proper job if we weren't you know, touching base with him once in a while, but that's what I've heard.
Believe me or not, that's what I heard

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Nobody knows if these players are any good, but other sides have no problem playing young back, Weiderman, Lever, Andrews and plenty of others all started playing key backs at 19-20 years old. How would we know what Miller is capable of if we never get a look at him. He is not a kid, 23 years old next season. Of course Talia is an upgrade if fit, but he is 30 years old and hasn't played for a year. Many on here were wanting Astbury gone due mainly to his age.

We have such an experienced back line with Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin, I reckon we could see how a 23 year old goes. If Talia is fit and in good nick, it would be hard to say no, but just hope it doesn't backfire and a player like Miller leaves similar to CCJ looking for a decent crack.

What if Miller is not up to it and Balta is injured round 2? What then?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If we nail this draft, then we can trade aggressively for the next few years - perfect timing.

Agree

I think our hand has now been forced to embark on a mini rebuild for 2 season
With players like Houli , Naish,Astbury,Chol,Cj already gone and the immanent departure of Jack , Trent , Caddy , Edwards we really need to look to replenish the list with young talent and aim to use the draft and select 10 kids over the next 2 drafts.

Also im not in the draft Talia camp for 2 main reasons
1. We have seen young players like Jordan Butts , Jiath , Day , etc show they can make an impact early and we need to start giving games to players like Miller , Biggy and any new defender we draft (Bazzo/Van Rooyen) whilst we have Grimes,Broad & Vlastuin still covering

We also need to conserve cap space with the departures of the above mentioned players and replacing with new draftee's on base salaries to cover the impending increase to the Lynch commitment and Dusty contract

Think it may be the time to take 1 step back to go 3 steps foward and assure our competitive edge going foward

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I can see the value of Talia next year, but I am also big on Miller for the future and realistically Miller should be one of the future backs.

My main concern with Talia, is he will do to Miller what Lynch/Riewoldt/Nank/Soldo have done to CCJ.

Talia would play as first choice FB or CHB, supported by Balta, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, and Miller would spend another year in the VFL. At the end of said year, he might also be one who wants out for more opportunities rather than sitting in reserve grade wasting his career. He was drafted in 2017, to still be sitting on the sidelines in 2022 behind others would not be good for his career hopes.

I hear where you are coming from but Miller would attract close to zero interest from other clubs. We are still in our window so Talia makes perfect sense.
If we were rebuilding sure it wouldn't make any sense, as we would expect to be lower on the ladder thus playing the kids.

CCJ was pick 20 and has shown what he can provide in the little time he's played in the seniors, hence why North have offered him a 5 year deal at 400/450K a year.

I hear where you are coming from but Miller would attract close to zero interest from other clubs. We are still in our window so Talia makes perfect sense.
If we were rebuilding sure it wouldn't make any sense, as we would expect to be lower on the ladder thus playing the kids.

CCJ was pick 20 and has shown what he can provide in the little time he's played in the seniors, hence why North have offered him a 5 year deal at 400/450K a year.

Gee that is a massive contract for a guy that has managed 9 games of AFL in 4 years.... - over 2 mill.

I always had the perception that Arden street was operating on the bones of it's arse but they must have $$$$$$$$ to burn!

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok, so this was obviously a bit of a joke, but I am serious on Ben King.
I've been told we are keeping a eye on him, specifically for next year when he is OOC
I don't think we would be doing a proper job if we weren't you know, touching base with him once in a while, but that's what I've heard.
Believe me or not, that's what I heard
Think all Vic clubs will be in touch with king.Most for 23 onwards.Geelong from 33 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back