List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely, and should Try to get ourselves a 3rd first rounder
The only 1st rounder we could possibly get would be doggies pick #17 at the moment and im not really too sure if thats worth the trade where we would need to give up
28,40,44 and the compo we get for Chol if we get that
might be better just to trade the 3rd rounders for a pick around 25-30 range

100% no way around it Melbourne’s depth is amazing and we can’t compete I don’t think. Unless we loaded up in a Kelly and De Goey which we clearly are not. Melbourne are full of 25-28 year old bulls and it’s not 2017 anymore. It’s their time now and we should still try our best to win and win it all, but go hard at the draft at the same time. Who know when you have dusty. We should trade chol/CCJ for top picks in next years draft so we secure a strong hand next year regardless of ladder position.

Let’s not forget, other than Tomlinson Demons
don’t have a single injury and haven’t almost all season. And Petty who replaced Tomlinson is probably playing better anyway. It’s like Richmond of 2017 where we played 3 finals without a single change and had no injuries all season.

So yes, Demons look awesome but take 5-6 of their best-22 out and put our best side in of course things could look different.

Demons won’t get a blessed run like this again and they are taking great advantage of it…. but don’t just assume it’ll roll on like this into 2022. Teams will go to school on them, they’ll get injuries, they’ll have a shorter pre-season, they’ll probably be pretty happy with themselves and so on ….. there’s a reason why back-to-back is very hard to achieve.

We need to have a crack at a flag in 2022 with a Talia or Tarrant - nothing to lose. We still retain our draft picks so get the best of both worlds. A flag tilt and a rebuild on the run.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe it is bias, Petracca isn't top 5 for mine though.
I find him more like Danger. They both burst out of stoppages and look like they are always in fast forward and don't slow to use the ball. Dusty finds space/time or makes space/time and is a far better user of the ball.

Also given Shai doesn't get the opportunities on ball that Petracca gets, it's a bit harsh on Shai. I feel his ceiling is just as high as Petracca's. I'm not saying he is at the level yet, I believe he can definitely get there though.

Shai at 22yo is well ahead of where Petracca was 3-years ago at same age. Bolton has the tools to be a top-5 player in the competition as Petracca is now. Whether he gets there who knows, but he won’t hit his peak for 2-3 more years as Dusty, Petracca, Wines, Steele, Touk, Zorko etc…. all started peaking around 24-25yo. Bolton has a lot more talent than most of them.

I’d train up Liam Baker for the midfield. He’s clean, tough, agile, tackles well - Laird has made the midfield transition so id waste no time in telling Baker he’s a midfielder / forward for 2022. We’ve got plenty of youthful coverage at HB : Stack, Rioli and Short. And I’ve seen enough to be confident Mansell can be a lockdown small defender. Stack and even Rioli are good defensively also. Grimes, Vlastuin and Broad can also play tall or small. Stack, Rioli, Short and Vlastuin are all pretty good ball users - Stack is only going to get better. We don’t need Baker down back any more.

Our midfield needs youthful legs and our forward line badly needs skilful smalls - only one of Castagna and Aarts can play each week …. if both play we are in strife.

Baker could easily average 20 touches and a goal a game playing mid-fwd. When you consider Bolton and Dusty are almost guaranteed do that too there’s a great start to our 2022 chances. There’s usually only a handful of players who do that each season across the comp … we could have three of them.

Baker’s first real game as a midfielder he got 33, 16 contested, 7 SI’s, 7 clearances and 6 tackles. Make him a fwd/mid and make some defences nervous trying to cover Baker, Dusty and Bolton. Our fwd line was inept this year and needs a shake-up, and our midfield needs youth. Baker’s the man… he’s got all the tools.

6ft 2 + , 90kgs mid who can run are the proto type clubs needs in today’s game be competing .
Alongside a quick burst mid .

oliver, trac
Bont , Smith
drew , wines

RCD -6ft 4 , 90 kgs , most important player on the list going forward .

if he comes on alongside Bolton , we are instantly back in the game .

I’d train up Liam Baker for the midfield. He’s clean, tough, agile, tackles well - Laird has made the midfield transition so id waste no time in telling Baker he’s a midfielder / forward for 2022. We’ve got plenty of youthful coverage at HB : Stack, Rioli and Short. And I’ve seen enough to be confident Mansell can be a lockdown small defender. Stack and even Rioli are good defensively also. Grimes, Vlastuin and Broad can also play tall or small. Stack, Rioli, Short and Vlastuin are all pretty good ball users - Stack is only going to get better. We don’t need Baker down back any more.

Our midfield needs youthful legs and our forward line badly needs skilful smalls - only one of Castagna and Aarts can play each week …. if both play we are in strife.

Baker could easily average 20 touches and a goal a game playing mid-fwd. When you consider Bolton and Dusty are almost guaranteed do that too there’s a great start to our 2022 chances. There’s usually only a handful of players who do that each season across the comp … we could have three of them.

Baker’s first real game as a midfielder he got 33, 16 contested, 7 SI’s, 7 clearances and 6 tackles. Make him a fwd/mid and make some defences nervous trying to cover Baker, Dusty and Bolton. Our fwd line was inept this year and needs a shake-up, and our midfield needs youth. Baker’s the man… he’s got all the tools.

Totally agree with this point. I’d be hitting the draft hard for some young gun mids as well.

He does a lot of things
That dusty didn’t do back then

2 way running and defensive efforts to name the obvious.
Dusty doesn't have to do defensive efforts cos when he has the ball he makes things happen that's his goal!

Dusty doesn't have to do defensive efforts cos when he has the ball he makes things happen that's his goal!
Just before he got injured the 3 weeks prior he was ordinary and watching him as the teammates were struggling he was trying too hard and did that opposite to his game defended hard chased and hence his game suffered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6ft 2 + , 90kgs mid who can run are the proto type clubs needs in today’s game be competing .

oliver, trac
Bont , Smith
drew , wines

Yep seeing melb and wb go thru , bloody obvious where both strengths are , bull midfielders that get plenty of it , none of this 12p bs from starting mids , 25-35 or don’t turn up , or 19 from libba coz I had him in my multi to get 20+ 😫

Yep seeing melb and wb go thru , bloody obvious where both strengths are , bull midfielders that get plenty of it , none of this 12p bs from starting mids , 25-35 or don’t turn up , or 19 from libba coz I had him in my multi to get 20+ 😫
No reason Baker couldn’t become our version of Libba .
They’ve also got quality wingers .
Narkle , Clarke, Howe all cheapies who would makes us better .
Likewise I’d be exploring where Clurey is at for KPD depth.
If it were to come at the expense of losing Caddy , Pickett, Chol so be it .

I’d suggest all it would do is change our draft strategy not our entire club direction.
Maybe we’d even look at some trades that we have sitting in the background.
If it changes the draft strategy and/or our trade plans, then it's not the refresh that we all think is going to happen

oliver, trac
Bont , Smith
drew , wines

Agree, tall, quick midfielders are important especially during a ruck contest when the ball can still be in dispute at a height. Having a group of short people can be handy at times but it's definitely not ideal for contested marking around the ground. We did lose some talls to injury which didn't help our cause but we got constantly smashed in this statistic throughout the season.

Both the Dogs and Dees have tall timber but mobile as well so they can play a plan A, high pressure chaotic game style similar to us or a more methodical plan B which is maintaining possession. As soon as teams take us on one on one and the ball is in the air we tend to lose those contests and then we're getting out run on the outside if they take the mark or when the ball hits the ground.

The game now requires speed and more speed to be able to transition from defence to attack very quickly and as a consequence get to those forward positions where you can exploit the zone defences/flooding. We just didn't look quick enough most of the time to execute this but the opposition in comparison did it very well and made us look very slow and ineffective.

Either way Cotch, Jack, Edwards and co are playing on next year. The rebuild will begin once they retire. Yeah we'll be more screwed if we have a lot of injuries next year.. but the loss of those 2 isn't going to change the whole clubs direction before the season even starts.
Disagree, if we lose both Chol and CCJ, who are our back up ruck/KPF options to go with losing Astbury & Houli I don't see why we wouldn't bring the rebuild forward 12 months where we can still have those stars around to provide support to the younger options, instead of waiting until they're gone and then throwing the kids into the deep end with no real support around them.

100% agree.Baker in the midfield is a no brainer for me.

No reason Baker couldn’t become our version of Libba .
They’ve also got quality wingers .
Narkle , Clarke, Howe all cheapies who would makes us better .
Likewise I’d be exploring where Clurey is at for KPD depth.
If it were to come at the expense of losing Caddy , Pickett, Chol so be it .

Libba is about 10cm taller than Baker .

i think Baker will end up a fwd that can pinch hit on ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back