List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1239695

Veteran defender Robbie Tarrant has knocked back a two-year contract from North Melbourne and will make a late-career switch to AFL powerhouse Richmond.

Tarrant has played 174 games for the Kangaroos, after being taken with pick in the 2007 draft.

But the 32-year-old has opted to switch to the Tigers with North going through a rebuilding phase after claiming this year's wooden spoon.

"We're disappointed that Robbie has chosen not to accept our contract offer," North football manager Brady Rawlings said.

"We wanted to see Robbie remain a one-club player given what he has done for our football club.

"After overcoming injuries in the early part of his career, Robbie has gone on to be a great contributor for North Melbourne over a long period of time.

"Robbie has been an elite defender in the competition and has provided us with great leadership and spirit.

"He has been popular with our fans, his teammates and everyone involved with the club, so it'll be hard to see him in opposing colours, but we wish him well."

In July, North coach David Noble said he could not imagine Tarrant ever playing for another club.

"I don't envisage him going anywhere. There's certainly no indication from his side of things," Noble said.

That Noble quote is gold 🤣

View attachment 1239674
View attachment 1239677

Doesn't really tell the full story! A quick look at the two GF teams shows, the bulk of their top end talent are in that 24-28 year old bracket! Ours are on the wrong side of 30. However, unlike the cats we're smart enough to realise that and have been hitting the draft pretty consistently!

On CPH2207 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im really not fussed about his age, He has not had any soft tissue injuries and not a big season due to the kidney issue and recovery
He is only contracted for 2 years and would be lucky to be on average salary. mentioned on another site by an ITK that he has actually accepted less to play at Richmond similar to what lake did. lets hope the result is the same

Robbie is now a Richmond player and we are very happy to have him

and if he jags a flag he becomes a Richmond life member. Lol

You know the more i think about the better this Tarrant move makes sense at both ends of the ground.
We've all been concerned about who's to replace Jack.
CJ clearly wasn't the answer as we couldn't go into a game with 2 lumbering fwds in Lynch & CJ.
On top of it we lose our monster defender in Astbury.
We bring in Tarrant to cover Dave but also if something happens to Jack or Lynch we can move Balta fwd.
We've always had an Astbury to cover if Rance went down or Vlas or Balta.
We now have Tarrant in that role and if Jack or Lynch go down we still have Tarrant to cover Balta.
Personally i hope its more of a transitional move on our behalf for Balta to become Jacks permanent replacement.
Hopefully within those 2yrs Miller can step upto the plate or one of our dfraftees.

Second round for Allir is a bargain and would do it any day.

I know we started talking about Tarrant versus other options, and used Aliir Aliir as the example of the alternative, but Port won’t trade Aliir Aliir.

Which is the other element of the argument; who is legitimately available as a KPD in the age bracket?

The best part of the Tarrant signing is all the norf supporters prior to this stating CJ chose to leave as we are falling off a cliff.
Nek minit their club champion leaves to taste success. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

You clearly don’t know the rules.
Go away and learn what net loss is.

“Compensation. A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.”

I have absolutely no doubt that a Norf supporter knows what ‘ a net loss’ is .,, get them off our board .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok last comment on this.

The idea is to get WB pick 17. I think that is more likely than extracting pick 20 from NM.Imo we will be lucky if they offer pick 38 for CC-J.

Delist - Garthwaite, Naish, De-s, Parker. Garthwaite is not good enough an inbetweener and Parker is just not skilled enough we have enough like this.

Trade - CC-J, Caddy. CCJ is gone and i can not see why we would keep a 29 yo who is too slow and we cant play.

Retire - Astbury, Houli. We need a replacement for Astbury and id like a bigger more accountable version of Houli.

Free agency - Chol. Imo no great loss and may force us to actually target a pure genuine key forward.

In - Tarrant but not as a F/a as this will affect our Chol compo which could be around 39 - 45. So we need a pick around 50 55.
As it currently stands 7,15, 26, 28, 40, 44. Chol compo around 39. CC-J trade do well to get 38. Caddy a pick around 50.

Draft targets or needs. Mids big inside ball winners and clearance mids.

GENUINE KPF There is only 33YO Riewoldt, 29YO Lynch. The greatest need on the list imo.

Kpd a rated young one. even with Tarrant the younger Kpd's we have look iffy miles away or both. The only proven big bodied KPD we have is Balta..
It is a serious need.

Big HBF. We only have Vlastuin as a medium sized HB on the entire list. Imo a bigger more accountable version of Houli would be ideal.

Likely best available players at our current picks in the ND who fill list needs.. I could be miles out on this but its just my opinion.

7/ Erasmus, Ward. I really like Erasmus but im from WA.

15/ Van Rooyen KPF, Johnson 192cm mid Amiss all WA lads. Amiss and Van Rooyen are potentially the best two key forwards in the draft. Dont think Amiss will get past pick 12.

26 Rhett Bazzo 195cm KPD. Another west aussie and i think he is a good un.Possibly the second best KPD.

28 Either best mid but preferably best medium defender to replace Houli and an opportunity to add another decent sized medium defender.

I think we can keep all these picks and add pick 17 wb to the list.

How well with the above trades and compo it would go something like this

We have 7, 15, 26, 28, 38 cc-j, 39 chol, 40, 44, 50 plus Caddy.

We bundle 28 677 points, 40 429 points for pick 17 1025 points and to get it done we throw in 44 365 points.
We then give NM the caddy pick for Tarrant and their pick 69 thus keeping the Chol compo.

It leaves us with the following. Tarrant 7, 15, 17, 26, 38, 39, 69.

7 Erasmus, big all round mid
15 Van Rooyen. KPF.
17 Johnson or Chesser or other best available mid
26 Bazzo kpd maybe second best in the draft
28 Best available mid or medium hb.
38 Best available
39 My smokie Blake Schlensog 200cm 21 yo utility from S/F.

Tarrant mature kpd

Bound to have something wrong here but people will get the gist.

Great post , thanks for sharing .
Re our Key position ( forward ) do you think , and just speculating, that Ben King would be our future target ? I get every other club would want him . Any thought(s) on that how that may change our approach to this draft and stockpiling of picks ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ok last comment on this.

The idea is to get WB pick 17. I think that is more likely than extracting pick 20 from NM.Imo we will be lucky if they offer pick 38 for CC-J.

Delist - Garthwaite, Naish, De-s, Parker. Garthwaite is not good enough an inbetweener and Parker is just not skilled enough we have enough like this.

Trade - CC-J, Caddy. CCJ is gone and i can not see why we would keep a 29 yo who is too slow and we cant play.

Retire - Astbury, Houli. We need a replacement for Astbury and id like a bigger more accountable version of Houli.

Free agency - Chol. Imo no great loss and may force us to actually target a pure genuine key forward.

In - Tarrant but not as a F/a as this will affect our Chol compo which could be around 39 - 45. So we need a pick around 50 55.
As it currently stands 7,15, 26, 28, 40, 44. Chol compo around 39. CC-J trade do well to get 38. Caddy a pick around 50.

GENUINE KPF There is only 33YO Riewoldt, 29YO Lynch. The greatest need on the list imo.

Kpd a rated young one. even with Tarrant the younger Kpd's we have look iffy miles away or both. The only proven big bodied KPD we have is Balta..
It is a serious need.

Big HBF. We only have Vlastuin as a medium sized HB on the entire list. Imo a bigger more accountable version of Houli would be ideal.

Likely best available players at our current picks in the ND who fill list needs.. I could be miles out on this but its just my opinion.

15/ Van Rooyen KPF, Johnson 192cm mid Amiss all WA lads. Amiss and Van Rooyen are potentially the best two key forwards in the draft. Dont think Amiss will get past pick 12.

26 Rhett Bazzo 195cm KPD. Another west aussie and i think he is a good un.Possibly the second best KPD.

28 Either best mid but preferably best medium defender to replace Houli and an opportunity to add another decent sized medium defender.

We bundle 28 677 points, 40 429 points for pick 17 1025 points and to get it done we throw in 44 365 points.
We then give NM the caddy pick for Tarrant and their pick 69 thus keeping the Chol compo.

15 Van Rooyen. KPF.
38 Best available

Tarrant mature kpd

Other states have footballers too.

The issue with CCJ is he isn’t a Jack replacement and he’s not much chop in the ruck. He’s really a Tom Lunch back up. We really need to recruit a Jack type IMO. 6ft4 or 5 mobile type of forward.

Hit the nail on the head. I know some here aren't fans but Jarrod Brander would fit that bill pretty nicely and looks like he'll be available on the cheap coming home to VIC this year. Watched him play key forward a lot as a junior, 1st round pick with great agility/endurance who has been played out of position on a wing by WCE. Decent start to the season this year too, and same age as CCJ so could be a ready-made cover for Jack.

Hit the nail on the head. I know some here aren't fans but Jarrod Brander would fit that bill pretty nicely and looks like he'll be available on the cheap coming home to VIC this year. Watched him play key forward a lot as a junior, 1st round pick with great agility/endurance who has been played out of position on a wing by WCE. Decent start to the season this year too, and same age as CCJ so could be a ready-made cover for Jack.
I've watched a lot in the AFL - and he's rubbish.

He's being delisted from WCE with a 43 year old Josh Kennedy for a reason.

Could we not try and get a defender in the age bracket. Seems like we jumped at the first option.

We could but why trade pics or players when you can get one for free

Ok last comment on this.

It is a serious need.

15 Van Rooyen. KPF.
38 Best available

Tarrant mature kpd

That's well thought out and put together.

17 could well be 20 after the GF and ND so we might not have to use 44 (which could be 42)

The Tarrant deal is the smart way to go.

I like the Schlensog pick, much like the Saints picking up Highmore last year.

If we don't use 69 then I guess that leaves us with pick 7 in the rookie draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back