List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really dont see the love for this guy , Good ordinary player

But im not paying $600k-$700k for a good ordinary player

I would rather give Riewoldt a 3 yer deal than sign McStay
No one is offering him $700k. Collingwood's offer is reportedly a bit under $600k a year for five years. I don't think that's too bad for a reliable key forward who works his ass off. And don't forget he's a free agent, so we can hold our picks to pick up another mid or take to the draft.

Can pinch hit in the ruck too—which means Balta can go back to where he belongs—and has the flexibility to play down back if we got a bad injury run.

Last edited:
No one is offering him $700k. Collingwood's offer is reportedly a bit under $600k a year for five years. I don't think that's too bad for a reliable key forward who works his ass off. And don't forget he's a free agent, so we can hold our picks to pick up another mid or take to the draft.

Can pinch hit in the ruck too—which means Balta can go back to where he belongs—and has the flexibility to play down back if we got a bad injury run.
Nah, don’t like him as a player, rather draft a kid tbh than pay that sort of money to a player like him.

He is not leaving for $600k to go to collingwood or any other club , He would easily be getting $450k+ at the lions now they upgraded their offer
Reliable key foward ?
jack Riewoldt 12 games for 24 goals and 15 behinds
Dan McStay 12 games for 14 goals and 9 behinds

Harry Himmelberg has played half the season as a backman and has 19.4
Jesse Hogan in just 9 games has 20 goals 13 points

I would rather keep Jack for another 3 years to be honest and you know he will kick 35+ every year

The pros of McStay compared to some of our current options is that he is a slightly different key forward than Jack or Lynch. You can kick the ball on his head, and he'll be competitive, and occasionally take a mark. Gives me the impression of having a good vertical leap. Players like Riewoldt and Lynch play best when moving around and having the ball kicked at them and not on them.

Other than that, not much I think is too appealing in getting McStay for the money rumoured Collingwood willing to pay.

He is not leaving for $600k to go to collingwood or any other club , He would easily be getting $450k+ at the lions now they upgraded their offer
Reliable key foward ?

I would rather keep Jack for another 3 years to be honest and you know he will kick 35+ every year
I'd say he's a strong chance to leave. He's parked contract talks.

There's clearly a big hole in our forward mix at the moment, and its resulted in us taking our best key defender out of the backline to try and fill it. We need someone now who can slot in alongside Lynch, keep a defender busy and pinch-hit in the ruck. They don't need to be a star—we can't afford a star.

Yeah, Jack might play for three more years, but that's highly unlikely and not something our list management should be planning for. I'd say he most likely plays next year and that's it. A Lynch/Riewoldt/McStay forward line next year would be pretty strong and is quite injury-proof. And after that, who knows? Bauer? A developing draftee? A smaller forward line?

Yeah we can draft a kid and hope they end up as good as Jack, but even they do it will take years for them to reach that level. Jack was on the list three years before he had his breakout year in 2010. We need someone now.

Sounds like a potential bargain to me
He's still only 22 years old
Pick 19 and RCD would be a fair offer for Thomas, both teams have a potential upside out of two underperforming first rounders getting a new environment.

Gold Coast has benefitted from us taking their talent when there wasn't the culture to win and sending them our role players in return to build the culture. Miles, Markov, Ellis and Chol in return for Prestia and Lynch

There's clearly a big hole in our forward mix at the moment, and its resulted in us taking our best key defender out of the backline to try and fill it. We need someone now who can slot in alongside Lynch, keep a defender busy and pinch-hit in the ruck. They don't need to be a star—we can't afford a star.

Yeah, Jack might play for three more years, but that's highly unlikely and not something our list management should be planning for. I'd say he most likely plays next year and that's it. A Lynch/Riewoldt/McStay forward line next year would be pretty strong and is quite injury-proof. And after that, who knows? Bauer? A developing draftee? A smaller forward line?

Yeah we can draft a kid and hope they end up as good as Jack, but even they do it will take years for them to reach that level. Jack was on the list three years before he had his breakout year in 2010. We need someone now.
Us picking Bauer may indicate we aren’t in the running for mcstay

There really is not a big hole in our foward line we have the following fowards
Lynch - 37 goals in 12 games
Riewoldt - 24 goals in 12 games
Bolton - 26 goals in 14 games

thats 3 of the top 24 goal kickers and with Dusty missing a majority of games we could easily have had 4 in 24

There is also Bauer in the 2's who is looking good and Ryan still developing and showing signs
We also have 3 picks inside 30 this year if a good draft for KPF and could easily get a player like Keeler , Scully , Lemmey , Jefferson etc
1 KPF drafted this year with another year of development into the New Draftee & Bauer/Ryan

Big contested bull mid is what our biggest need is and we need to win more contested poss

Pick 19 and RCD would be a fair offer for Thomas, both teams have a potential upside out of two underperforming first rounders getting a new environment.

Gold Coast has benefitted from us taking their talent when there wasn't the culture to win and sending them our role players in return to build the culture. Miles, Markov, Ellis and Chol in return for Prestia and Lynch
19 & RCD is way overs on Thomas' current form

The pros of McStay compared to some of our current options is that he is a slightly different key forward than Jack or Lynch. You can kick the ball on his head, and he'll be competitive, and occasionally take a mark. Gives me the impression of having a good vertical leap. Players like Riewoldt and Lynch play best when moving around and having the ball kicked at them and not on them.

Other than that, not much I think is too appealing in getting McStay for the money rumoured Collingwood willing to pay.
Bauer is a talent, he has the confidence to come on like JR8 did.

I like the idea of Biggy as a defensive forward/ruck, played ruck in juniors, can chase, tackle and intercept and has the right athleticism to go with a Tom Stewart type intercepting back and shut them down. Neat kick of the ball from a mark too.

VFL R14: Nyuon makes goal debut after siren

Like to say I thought of it but it was Steve Morris that swung him forward and changed the game down at GMHBA stadium yesterday

There really is not a big hole in our foward line we have the following fowards
Lynch - 37 goals in 12 games
Riewoldt - 24 goals in 12 games
Bolton - 26 goals in 14 games

thats 3 of the top 24 goal kickers and with Dusty missing a majority of games we could easily have had 4 in 24

There is also Bauer in the 2's who is looking good and Ryan still developing and showing signs
We also have 3 picks inside 30 this year if a good draft for KPF and could easily get a player like Keeler , Scully , Lemmey , Jefferson etc
1 KPF drafted this year with another year of development into the New Draftee & Bauer/Ryan

Big contested bull mid is what our biggest need is and we need to win more contested poss
Lynch is 30 next year and Riewoldt will be 34—and neither can play in the ruck.

IMO we should we looking to bring in a mature Riewoldt replacement, who is athletic and can pinch-hit in the ruck, as well as drafting a long-term Lynch replacement. Both of these things need to happen in either this coming offseason or the next, or we are going to end up with a big hole.

Us picking Bauer may indicate we aren’t in the running for mcstay
Bauer is very much speculative at this stage.

I like what I’ve seen so far but wouldn’t be hanging my hat on him being part of our tall forward set up. I’m hoping like hell that he does become that 3rd tall ( would really add another string to our bow up forward) but in the meantime we need to look at an established tall. Reiwoldt may very well play on but he’s approaching his mid 30’s and while still playing ok football realistically it’s downhill from here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO we should we looking to bring in a mature Riewoldt replacement, who is athletic and can pinch-hit in the ruck, as well as drafting a long-term Lynch replacement. Both of these things need to happen in either this coming offseason or the next, or we are going to end up with a big hole.
Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of watching a developing key forward learn his craft under JR and Lynch and take the reins when they retire. We haven’t had access to any of the elite kp talent since 2016.
So you go to the next best option f/a or trade. F/A is a great option for us right now, we have potentially 2 top 20 draft picks in the 22 ND which we could use on inside mids and possibly a player that may leave as a f/a (meaning we wouldn’t go into deficit if we bring in a f/a)

Is it even possible to have good form at North?? Thomas' talent has not just disappeared and RCD won't play firsts again at Richmond will he? So effectively if environment will make the difference for Thomas we get an A grade midfielder for pick 19. Psychologically it also is a deal that North would say yes to, as they wouldn't be losing face.

It is a steal if you believe our culture can bring out his best

Most important needs for us in terms of trades are Riewoldt and Cotchin replacements.

Sounds like they're both going to go on one more year, but even if they do replacements are needed asap.

My preference would be to go for McStay if the Pies don't price us out, and then one of Dunkley or Hopper.
Yep one of Dunkley, Hopper and Taranto would be nice. No to Mcstay. He's reportedly been offered around 600k a year for 5 years. That's madness.

I still think Jake Riccardi has plenty of upside and wouldn't cost alot. Averaged 6 marks and nearly 2 goals a game in his first season. Can play forward or back and can also chop out in the ruck if need be. Can see it clicking for him in a change of environment. Could get him for a steal IMO

1656312961450.jpeg

30 Goals 14 behinds and can Ruck - Maybe we should trade our 1st rounder for this bloke

View attachment 1434451

30 Goals 14 behinds and can Ruck - Maybe we should trade our 1st rounder for this bloke
Yeah sure, if you want a tall that gets cheap goals out the back of the contest. He hasn’t changed my opinion of him this season. Getting most of his possies on the cheap still

Reliable key foward ?

Mcstay is ordinary , nowhere near worth 600 a year for a 20g key forward

Yep one of Dunkley, Hopper and Taranto would be nice. No to Mcstay. He's reportedly been offered around 600k a year for 5 years. That's madness.

I still think Jake Riccardi has plenty of upside and wouldn't cost alot. Averaged 6 marks and nearly 2 goals a game in his first season. Can play forward or back and can also chop out in the ruck if need be. Can see it clicking for him in a change of environment. Could get him for a steal IMO
If rumours of a forced salary dump at gws are true , reckon we come out with hopper , THomss for a r3 would be worthwhile throw at the stumps

Last edited:
That’s who I’m saying a r3,,,,wtf would we offer rcd who was a r1 pick plus pic 19 for a guy getting 3p a week for the bottom side, crikey I’m glad no one on hear is negotiating , worst deal ever

Grievous bodily harm is no joke. Id say it’s every bit as bad. In fact I’d say Marlions history has DeGoey covered comfortably.

We were prepared to look at a bloke with a history that would scare most clubs off and gave him a chance. It worked out well for the club and the man.
This charges were dropped. Just be careful to get your facts straight with this sort of stuff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back