List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming Brisbane end up top 4, perhaps they might entertain trading their first pick ~#16 (~1050pts) + 3rd round ~#50 (~250pts) for our picks ~#22 (~840pts) + ~#30 (~600pts).

Nets them an extra 150-ish points to use on Ashcroft, and us another first rounder. Brisbane definitely won't want to have that 1st rounder tied up in the Ashcroft deal if they can upgrade it's points value.

Of course, if Hopper and Taranto are seriously in the mix this would not be as imperative. Or maybe those acquired Lions 1st + 3rd rounders for Taranto? Gets us Taranto without losing our 1st round pick, which is looking like #8 or #9 now.

I would keep our first, maybe trade future first and another. Draft seems handy

If we got Ohalloran and Taranto, our list would improve dramatically.

Is O'Hallaran even that good?

Feel like we have a similar player in Ross, who has the big body, but has been played out on the wing in his early career. Just keep Ross, and then go for one of Taranto or Hopper, or Green if something extradorinary happens.

Is O'Hallaran even that good?

Feel like we have a similar player in Ross, who has the big body, but has been played out on the wing in his early career. Just keep Ross, and then go for one of Taranto or Hopper, or Green if something extradorinary happens.

More speed than Ross. More a value play on the cheap and he might develop

We got guys like Arts, Mansell, Martyn, and others that really have not done enough. Castagna probably has papers stamped next year

Who is on our main lists and rookie lists?

GWS is a far better list than where they are at on the ladder, its insane

Last edited:

More speed than Ross. More a value play and he might develop

We got guys like Arts, Mansell, Martyn, and others that really have not done enough.

Who is on our main lists and rookie lists?

GWS is a far better list than where they are at on the ladder, its insane

Might just be me who's more optimistic on Richmond players developing and not watching enough of GWS, but think Ross has shown more than O'Halloran so far, and both drafted in the same draft.

Ross' disposal efficiency is considered elite, believe it or not.

Might just be me who's more optimistic on Richmond players developing and not watching enough of GWS, but think Ross has shown more than O'Halloran so far, and both drafted in the same draft.

Ross' disposal efficiency is considered elite, believe it or not.

Just because I say get Halloran does not mean we necessarily dump Ross.

I am just saying dump others.

O Halloran I think is a little underrated and might be a sleeper looking for a new environment. I think he could play a few roles whereas Ross is more inside.

We have some guys on our lists that really are not going to ever be good enough I think. Martyn is an obvious one, Aarts, one the rookie list I think, time to call time on that, I can't see Mansell ever shown enough

On the other side, Cumberland and Miller are obvious keepers

The other question might come to how much some of our players are getting paid versus others and are they worth it?

Last edited:
Yeah but you didn’t want or rate Prestia so this means eff all :)
No I didn’t want to pay pick 6 as I had concerns about his longevity due to injury . The fact we won premierships with him playing well swings it in his favour no doubt and I am happy to admit .

Imagine being concerned about midfielders who win the ball rather than defend when our midfield cannot win a clearance.

Do we want 6 midfielders who only defend and ignore our biggest weakness?

Did it ever occur to you that "Taranto can't defend" is more a coaching issue? Pretty sure players follow their coaches instructions more often than not.

Imagine being concerned about midfielders who win the ball rather than defend when our midfield cannot win a clearance.

Do we want 6 midfielders who only defend and ignore our biggest weakness?

Did it ever occur to you that "Taranto can't defend" is more a coaching issue? Pretty sure players follow their coaches instructions more often than not.
He gets whacked in one on one contests are you suggesting coaches are telling him to loose those contests ?
Do you think opposition sides ability to dominate clearances for large portions of games due to us having quality defensive mids ?

He gets whacked in one on one contests are you suggesting coaches are telling him to loose those contests ?
Do you think opposition sides ability to dominate clearances for large portions of games due to us having quality defensive mids ?
"Taranto doesn't defend"

He just had 30 disposals by playing 70% of the game in his defensive half. On top of that he had 5 tackles and 29 pressure acts. There's no alternate universe where that is a front running game.

If that was a Richmond player you'd be lauding him as best on ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can do better next season. Dusty back. A pre season in the midfield for Short and Baker. One of Hopper/Taranto.
If we're to do better next year there will need to be some big changes. Firstly our midfield needs to be able to match it with the best midfields and not put our defenders under constant pressure. Secondly our delivery into F50 needs to improve markedly. We're probably the only team in the comp that doesn't utilise leading up at the ball carrier as much as we should. Invariably our entries are long high bombs on heads which is too predictable and easy to defend. Thirdly we need an improved run with injuries that hinders the continuity of the side. Finally we need to stop with the experimentation with moving guys around. I know we've been forced to at times because of the injuries, but we've got to start settling the side into position and starting to build that consistency in performance. If those things don't happen then I'm afraid we'll fall another couple of spots down the ladder as there are sides below us on the ladder that are improving and will likely pass us next year.

If we're to do better next year there will need to be some big changes. Firstly our midfield needs to be able to match it with the best midfields and not put our defenders under constant pressure. Secondly our delivery into F50 needs to improve markedly. We're probably the only team in the comp that doesn't utilise leading up at the ball carrier as much as we should. Invariably our entries are long high bombs on heads which is too predictable and easy to defend. Thirdly we need an improved run with injuries that hinders the continuity of the side. Finally we need to stop with the experimentation with moving guys around. I know we've been forced to at times because of the injuries, but we've got to start settling the side into position and starting to build that consistency in performance. If those things don't happen then I'm afraid we'll fall another couple of spots down the ladder as there are sides below us on the ladder that are improving and will likely pass us next year.
We're were one of if not the most efficient side going inside 50 until a month ago weren't we? We were also the highest scoring. Agree with the rest. Need a big shake up.

We are likely to gain picks 8,19 & 26 or better in this years draft, this is a fantastic position to be in. I would prefer to see us use this to improve our list via the draft and build our war chest unless an attractive free agent is available. Given we are unlikely to be contending what is the opinion of others in relation to attacking the draft, holding our current young guns and building the war chest for our next run or looking at overpaid trades?? I agree someone like Toronto fills a need but is the loss of draft capital and cap beneficial in the long game?

Last edited:
We are likely to gain picks 8,19 & 26 or better in this years draft, this is a fantastic position to be in. I would prefer to see us use this to improve our list via the draft and build our war chest unless an attractive free agent is available. Given we are unlikely to be contending what is the opinion of others in relation to attacking the draft, holding our current young guns and building the war chest for our next run or looking at overpaid trades?? I agree someone like Toronto fills a need but is the loss of draft capital and cap beneficial in the long game?
9 = Taranto
26 = Hopper

19 = Draft.

Hitting the draft alone doesn't work. We took 5 picks in the draft last year, now it's time to bring in talent to compliment that.

We can give Carlton pick 96 for P Dow.

9 = Taranto
26 = Hopper

19 = Draft.

Hitting the draft alone doesn't work. We took 5 picks in the draft last year, now it's time to bring in talent to compliment that.

9 may get Taranto but not Hopper at 26, 19 which will end up in the high 20 is not likely to get us a quality key forward

Last year was our first top ten pick for a decade and like last year some are desperate to trade it away (I guess one every 10 years for some is more than enough). Trading away last year would have meant no Gibcus. We have a brilliant opportunity in a draft supposedly ripe with tall talent to bookend Gibcus. Gibcus, Balta and a top ten KPF and we may well have settled our spine for the next decade.

As for the other two picks I would much prefer to go the draft but I guess you can't be dogmatic. With whispers about Martin and perhaps others we might have more draft capital so who knows what else we might be able to achieve. Either way though I hope and pray that our first is totally off limits.

Last edited:
9 = Taranto
26 = Hopper

19 = Draft.

Not happening.

9 may get Taranto but not Hopper at 26, 19 which will end up in the high 20 is not likely to get us a quality key forward
Definitely won't be high 20s and will probably be pick 20, 21 at worst. Academy selections can't be matched in the top 40 this year and I think the only top rated father-son is Ashcroft who will go top 3. The only other chance from what I know is one of Alywn Davey's boys.

"Taranto doesn't defend"

He just had 30 disposals by playing 70% of the game in his defensive half. On top of that he had 5 tackles and 29 pressure acts. There's no alternate universe where that is a front running game.

If that was a Richmond player you'd be lauding him as best on ground.
He was s**t house cheap posies and I wouldn’t be lauding him BOG that’s for sure , Hopper was far better in one on ones .watch the game and you’ll see rather than reading stats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back