List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
get hummers.
I’m not sure why but I just have this feeling that Blair has secured him. Giants have made it known publicly they’ve offered him a 5 year deal a week or two back and nothings happened as yet. Reeks of the same playbook when we secured Lynchy.
could be wrong very easily, but I’m pretty confident we will secure his services if we have indeed approached him and his management.

GWS winning last night is a great result for us.

Hopefully Hummingbird sees enough of a future at GWS as similar as ours and stays with his 41 mates rather than 2 of his mates with us.

Anyone who doesn’t think he’d be an asset to our side has NFI
The issue for me has always been the value you get from and how much it costs to get him.

Sure he's a free agent so no trade is necessarily required, but the fact we'd need to offer a deal well above his market value to stop GWS from matching a bid and forcing a trade, makes the acquisition less desirable for me.

As I've said many times before HH is a good second fiddle KPP but he isn't a genuine number 1 option either forward or back, but we'd be paying him like he was one to get him for 'free'.

Then there is where he plays. Regardless of where he plays he takes game time away from younger players already on our list who need game time to develop their games. Players like Gibcus Ryan Young Bauer Miller & Bradtke need to be given games at the highest level to continue/start their development.

I don't believe we gain more by bringing in HH especially when in a couple of years were going to need to find a long term Lynch replacement as our number 1 KPF option.

The issue for me has always been the value you get from and how much it costs to get him.

Sure he's a free agent so no trade is necessarily required, but the fact we'd need to offer a deal well above his market value to stop GWS from matching a bid and forcing a trade, makes the acquisition less desirable for me.

As I've said many times before HH is a good second fiddle KPP but he isn't a genuine number 1 option either forward or back, but we'd be paying him like he was one to get him for 'free'.

Then there is where he plays. Regardless of where he plays he takes game time away from younger players already on our list who need game time to develop their games. Players like Gibcus Ryan Young Bauer Miller & Bradtke need to be given games at the highest level to continue/start their development.

I don't believe we gain more by bringing in HH especially when in a couple of years were going to need to find a long term Lynch replacement as our number 1 KPF option.
The driver for market rate is NOT to avoid gws matching , it would be to spurn rival bids . I don’t think gws would match , they’d get a r1 you’d think for a min 5y deal

If HH just cost salary cap, I think its our style to bring FA players IN. Lynch, Tarrant. On one hand we didn't go after mids like Cerra, if they cost too much.

We do use a 2 KPF structure so physically, as a player HH is good replacement for JR. HH is injury free. But HH is from NSW so no go home factor with VIC clubs. RFC is past its peak and there's no better chance of finals at Punt Road. If he doesn't mind playing KPD he may as well stay in Sydeny.

Lynch + Gibcus Ryan Young Bauer Miller & Bradtke is probably enough depth. Mini is familiar with them. But the best 2 are out on long term injuries. Not knee injuries so maybe return to footy slightly easier than an ACL?

Maybe list manager waits until 2024. See if Lynch can play reasonable football.

The driver for market rate is NOT to avoid gws matching , it would be to spurn rival bids . I don’t think gws would match , they’d get a r1 you’d think for a min 5y deal
To get GWS a R1 pick the deal would need to average out at to at least $750k per season, and like I've said previously that money is better used either front loading some guys we've already got signed, or spending some on a younger less expensive 2nd string option and then loading up on a genuine Lynch replacement as our number 1 option in 2-3 years time.

get hummers.
eddie-catflap.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And people think we don't need Himmelberg because we have Miller and Braetke
emoji1787.png
emoji1787.png
emoji1787.png

Our forward line is the worst in the league without Lynch.
The question that needs to be answered by the HH supporters is do you believe that HH is good enough to be a genuine Lynch replacement if Lynch was forced to miss more games next year or forced into an early retirement because of the foot issue?

Because for me if we're bringing him in, he needs to be able to carry the forward line in the way Jack and Lynch have been able to do when the other hasn't been there to share the load.

I have seen nothing from HH that says he can be a genuine number 1 KPF that can kick 65+ goals in a season, while taking on and beating the leagues best KPD most weeks, especially if we're paying him the type of money that has been suggested to get him to sign.

HH has always been a second/third string type who gets the weaker opponent because there are bigger threats for the opposition to worry about. Now I'm not saying he's no good, because he plays that role quite well, but can anyone point to a season, where he was asked to be the number 1 guy and lead the GWS forward line.

Jack silvagni 2 goals til half time playing as ruck / second forward. I still think free agent pretty cheap and walks into our forward line
I think if we played him as a genuine forward he would at least give a contest and bring the ball to ground which is all we really need for our system. So I agree he should be looked at

J Silvagni would walk into our forward line.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.

I know everything Carlton is taboo but let's not pretend B Miller is remotely good.... And don't even start with Riccardi from GWS, Silvagni is twice the player he is.

But it's a moot point anyway, Silvagni ain't leaving Carlton.
Carlton don’t have a spot for him and his father seems pretty p155ed off with the club. But if he is dumb enough to stay we don’t want him

J Silvagni would walk into our forward line.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.

I know everything Carlton is taboo but let's not pretend B Miller is remotely good.... And don't even start with Riccardi from GWS, Silvagni is twice the player he is.

But it's a moot point anyway, Silvagni ain't leaving Carlton.
From the whispers I have been told, he has been slightly lowballed as well on his offer. An offer around the 400k for 4 years could be all it would take to get him across as a free agent.

From the whispers I have been told, he has been slightly lowballed as well on his offer. An offer around the 400k for 4 years could be all it would take to get him across as a free agent.
450k vs 750k
I know which I prefer performing the same secondary role up fwd.

The question that needs to be answered by the HH supporters is do you believe that HH is good enough to be a genuine Lynch replacement if Lynch was forced to miss more games next year or forced into an early retirement because of the foot issue?

Because for me if we're bringing him in, he needs to be able to carry the forward line in the way Jack and Lynch have been able to do when the other hasn't been there to share the load.

I have seen nothing from HH that says he can be a genuine number 1 KPF that can kick 65+ goals in a season, while taking on and beating the leagues best KPD most weeks, especially if we're paying him the type of money that has been suggested to get him to sign.

HH has always been a second/third string type who gets the weaker opponent because there are bigger threats for the opposition to worry about. Now I'm not saying he's no good, because he plays that role quite well, but can anyone point to a season, where he was asked to be the number 1 guy and lead the GWS forward line.
He wouldn't be a lynch replacement. He'd be a jack replacement and he'd certainly be am upgrade on 2023 Jack.

He wouldn't be a lynch replacement. He'd be a jack replacement and he'd certainly be am upgrade on 2023 Jack.
But what if he has to replace Lynch

Do those who want HH think he can step up and be that number 1 option?

Because that is what you want your second string KPF to be able to do when the first choice bloke is missing.

If he can't do that, then is he really worth the money that we'd be paying him, if he comes across?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back