Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KEY DATES

Trade period:
9 October, 9am* - NAB AFL Trade Period begins
19 October, 2pm - NAB AFL Trade Period closes

Free agency:
6 October - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins
15 October - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period closes
18 October - NAB AFL restricted free agency matching offer three-day period ends

1 November
- NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins
8 November - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes

10 November - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins
17 November, 5pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

25 November - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins
26 November, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

List lodgement:
31 October, 2pm - List Lodgement 1
9 November, 2pm - List Lodgement 2
27 November, 12pm - List Lodgement 3

Last edited:
Whispers:
The Bombers are locked in a battle with Geelong to win the signature of Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer. The 2015 All Australian is understood to be seeking a new deal of about $600,000 a season, with the Dons better placed to meet his asking price. However, Geelong's strong leadership culture appeals to Stringer, who acknowledges he has to become more professional off the field. At this early stage, the Cats appear slight favourites to land the Bulldog.

The Dons are also desperate to bolster their midfield depth, having been one of several Victorian clubs who made unsuccessful plays for emerging GWS star Josh Kelly. They have been linked with fellow Giants Devon Smith and Matthew Kennedy, but both appear likely to request trades Carlton. If contracted West Coast runner Andrew Gaff becomes available, the Dons would almost certainly seek to join St Kilda and Hawthorn in the queue for the Victorian's services, while out-of-favour Tiger Anthony Miles and Fremantle youngster Harley Balic are among the other on-ball options they could consider.

Out-of-contract Suns defender Trent McKenzie is also said to be on Essendon's radar.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-01/trade-period-preview-whos-your-club-chasing

Trent McKenzie is a name I haven't heard linked with us before.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/d1a501366aebf2a78478d8e501d183d5

AFL trades: Carlton, Essendon express interest in Gold Coast speedster Adam Saad

Jay Clark, Herald Sun
21 minutes ago
Subscriber only

CARLTON and Essendon have emerged as the frontrunners to secure Gold Coast speedster Adam Saad as he explores a return home to Melbourne.

The Suns are understanding of Saad’s family and religious ties which have prompted the explosive backman to strongly consider a move back to Victoria.

But the Blues and Bombers would have to satisfy Gold Coast with a second-round draft pick or equivalent player to seal the deal.

The Coburg product finished 10th in the Suns’ best and fairest in his third AFL season and is currently holidaying in Thailand.

Carlton yesterday confirmed it would seek more information from Saad, and his manager, John Meesen from i50, about his intentions for 2018.

“Obviously we would be interested in talking,” Carlton football manager Andrew McKay said.

“But he has got to make up his mind to be really sure he wants to come home to Melbourne.”

The Blues will be in a stronger position to land Saad, 23, if star midfielder Bryce Gibbs renews his request to be traded to Adelaide, as expected.

They are also circling Greater Western Sydney forward Devon Smith and defender-midfielder Matthew Kennedy and Brisbane midfielder Tom Rockliff.

Essendon is also one of the league’s most active clubs in the post-season exchange period as it chases exiled Western Bulldog Jake Stringer.

In addition, Saad would be an immediate replacement for retired defender James Kelly on the half back line.

The Bombers are reluctant to hand over pick No. 11 for Stringer without getting an early selection back, and will instead push to use its second choice (No. 28) for the All-Australian.

The Dogs have made clear they will not accept a second-round selection for Stringer and will attempt to keep him at the kennel next season without adequate compensation.

Suns’ list chief Scott Clayton said Stringer’s value had taken a small hit.

“I would have said before last month or so (he was worth) mid-first (round) but I think it might have dropped-off a little bit,’ Clayton said.

“It’s very hard to step back (from trading a player) once you say (to them) ‘You’re out’.”

Ablett is bound for Geelong in a deal that could involve out-of-contract Cats midfielder Darcy Lang.

Lang’s management yesterday confirmed the fringe midfielder had an open mind about his next step.

“We’re prepared to consider all options that he has, that includes Gold Coast, and there’s certainly some interest from Victorian-based clubs,” Scott Lucas from Phoenix Management said.

Sources close to Geelong’s Mitch Duncan have confirmed he has no interest in being part of the Ablett deal. Port Adelaide has strong interest in free agent Steve Motlop.

Clayton said the deal for Ablett could be multifaceted. The Suns also want as much as $300,000 from the Cats.

“We’ve had two or three conversations with Geelong and certainly Mitch (Duncan)’s name came up ... perhaps in regards to a bigger trade,” Clayton said.

“Philosophically, we need to get someone that is going to play for us and be in our top 22. We need to get someone that’s going to help us.”

Melbourne is continuing negotiations with Adelaide about a deal for gun defender Jake Lever, involving the Dees’ No. 10 draft pick.

The Demons want a second-round pick for Jack Watts as a minimum. Watts has received interest from Port Adelaide and Sydney.

Melbourne is also chasing homesick Fremantle hard nut Harley Balic

Want.

That's serious linebreaking pace.

Saad 23
Gleeson 23
Mckenna 21

All 3 rebound defenders all peaking in the next couple years could be a scary good combo. That slingshot potential!

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I would like to see is that frenetic pressure where we lock the ball in our forward line and when the ball does get out into the oppos forward half we win it back and go BANG.

Tomlinson stats are all over the place. 26 possessions 7 marks and 5 tackles in a preliminary final and only 10-12 in the previous 2 finals. The fact that he got a game in the preliminary is a plus.

He appears to be a role player (negate a particular opposition player).

What - Have you watched the games ? He played as a tall defender in the first two finals, which is the position he played for most of the year, while his 26 possession game was when he played midfield.

With the blues tied up with getting Smith, Kennedy and rockcliff in hopefully we are in pole position to get saad in.

Would be happy to part with our second. Or potentially doggies second if we managed to get it in a stronger trade. Would allow for saad to hopefully take Kelly's/McGraths spot as McGrath moves to getting more time in the middle

Pick 11 for essentially Stringer and Saad would be an amazing bit of trading by Essendon.
Certainly buying low with Stringer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooney said on trade radio that Stringer might take up to 24 months to get back on track.

It's certainly buyer beware for me, we should only get him if it's at the right price imo.

Exactly!

Which is why we need to getting more value out of #11, rather than just dropping our pants for him.

What - Have you watched the games ? He played as a tall defender in the first two finals, which is the position he played for most of the year, while his 26 possession game was when he played midfield.
Correct. He is an extremely versatile player with huge upside. Can also defend smalls.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Pick 11 for essentially Stringer and Saad would be an amazing bit of trading by Essendon.
Certainly buying low with Stringer.

Exactly my thought and wouldn't have thought sun's would need another second but all the talk at the moment is his value is around a mid second round. So I'd be happy with that

Unlike JOM and GAZ, the Suns seem qute happy to get Saad home due to family reasons.
They seem to be ok with players being upfront with them when they want to move - they were seemingly fine with Prestia coming back as well. IIRC, the thing that pissed them off most about the JOM deal was the impression that it was duplicitous.

Last edited:
Cooney was saying that Geelong's offer to Stringer is only marginally below Essendon.

It's not just gotta go back and read Sam Landsberger's article on this to know there's $150k difference.

It's not just gotta go back and read Sam Landsberger's article on this to know there's $150k difference.
What game is Cooney playing?

That $150k diff was some time ago. Since then the Cats have mentioned 10 spots being replaced.

They are now talking Rhys Stanley to Bulldogs plus pick in 30s for Stringer.

Last edited:
Have we all forgot that GC are actually hard to deal with?

He's contracted... I've got a feeling they would retain him to prove a point irrespective of how it would play out in the long run

Have we all forgot that GC are actually hard to deal with?

He's contracted... I've got a feeling they would retain him to prove a point irrespective of how it would play out in the long run
Something I was reading the other day said they're more willing to let Saad go because of his personal reasons/religious reasons... actually I found it here (not where I originally read it but meh):

Carlton and Essendon would need to give up a second-round draft pick to land Adam Saad after emerging as the front-runners for the Gold Coast speedster, according to the Herald Sun.

Saad is exploring a return to Melbourne and the Blues are keen to talk with the 23-year-old when he returns from holidays overseas.

It was reported the Suns are understanding of the family and religious ties that are drawing Saad to his home state.

Essendon holds pick No.28 in the second round of the NAB AFL Draft, but Carton does not hold a second-round pick.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-03/trade-winds-dons-blues-circle-speedy-sun

Alfred E Neuman and then this:
JAKE Stringer's management insists talks with interested clubs haven't stalled, despite explosive allegations about his off-field life.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-03/stringer-trade-talks-havent-stalled-says-manager

hahahaha they need to make up their bloody minds. Did it stall or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back