Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unnamed vic side offering McGovern 7 mil over 6. Would look awfully good next to Hurley, but doubt we have that kind of room to move in the cap.
I wouldn't be offering someone that kind of money in an area we have well stocked.

I wouldn't be offering someone that kind of money in an area we have well stocked.

Wouldn’t have thought we are that well stocked in the area. Yet to be convinced Brown or Hartley are capable of being quality defenders.

Wouldn’t have thought we are that well stocked in the area. Yet to be convinced Brown or Hartley are capable of being quality defenders.
Hartley has beaten some pretty good forwards over the past 2 years (Franklin, Bruce, Patton, Dixon) and Brown is more than handy depth. Then there's the fact that Hooker is a remote possibility of playing defence as well.

We could definitely use him. He would play the role I believe we hoped Francis would be playing by now.

I can't see it being us though as we don't have that wiggle room in the cap. My guess would be Collingwood.... Would be bloody nice floating across HB for us clunking them and dishing off to the likes of Saad and Mckenna though

Hartley has beaten some pretty good forwards over the past 2 years (Franklin, Bruce, Patton, Dixon) and Brown is more than handy depth. Then there's the fact that Hooker is a remote possibility of playing defence as well.

Ultimately Hartley concerns me greatly, his 2016 season was excellent but has gone backwards since. We’re desperately in need of an intercept marker, having an elite one would mitigate some of the damage caused by the lack of competitiveness in the centre. Either way forward or back with Hooker he probably only has a year or two of high level output left.

I'm not sold on Hartley, he has not shown improvement from 2016 in 2017, despite much better players around him. Buddy kicked 1.6 on him, so I would hardly suggest Harts had buddy contained, he really should have put us to the sword.

Hopefully it was just second year blues, and Fullback is such a hard position to grade as your success there in locking down an opponent is so heavily dependent on what your team mates do up he field by putting pressure on the ball.

That being said I think we need to be on the look out for a senior guy to step into that genuine lock down role in case Harts doesnt show improvement this year.
- Someone like Tom McDonald from the demons is OOC and a RFA but would likely be expensive and not our top priority (hello, Ollie Wines)
- Eric Mackenzie and James Frawley are OOC aswell and have shown to be effective when surrounded by good players, however both are 30 (or approaching) so we would have to be right in the premiership window to go there
- Players like Tim Mohr from GWS or Aliir Aliir might be worth a punt if they aren't given games this year, but I wouldn't necessarily be keen for this class of guys as they carry basically the same worries and issues that Harts does.

Ultimately Hartley concerns me greatly, his 2016 season was excellent but has gone backwards since. We’re desperately in need of an intercept marker, having an elite one would mitigate some of the damage caused by the lack of competitiveness in the centre. Either way forward or back with Hooker he probably only has a year or two of high level output left.

Isn't Ridley quite good at the intercept role? Gleeson and Hurley are also strong in that area.

We don't have a defender who can lock down on a big forward and provide the intercept marking the way McGovern does without Hooker going back - and I'm not sure Hooker can stop the big forwards as effectively any more.

I'd like MGovern, but i'm not sure he's worth $7m to us.

Isn't Ridley quite good at the intercept role? Gleeson and Hurley are also strong in that area.

We don't have a defender who can lock down on a big forward and provide the intercept marking the way McGovern does without Hooker going back - and I'm not sure Hooker can stop the big forwards as effectively any more.

$7mill is ridiculous for a KPD. I wouldn't pay that for Rance (who i see as the best KPD in the league by a fair stretch).
I have little doubt that offer has come from Collingwood, they would be that desperate for KPD's they would probably do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Ridley is quite good at intercepting but more Gleeson style than genuine dominant KP.

With the cap increases 1 million isn’t what it used to be. I’d suggest the price would be covered mostly by the likely out going Baguley (400k at a guess) and Goddard (650ish).

Yes Ridley is quite good at intercepting but more Gleeson style than genuine dominant KP.

With the cap increases 1 million isn’t what it used to be. I’d suggest the price would be covered mostly by the likely out going Baguley (400k at a guess) and Goddard (650ish).
I doubt BJ's second contract was that high. Nor Baguley's.

$7mill is ridiculous for a KPD. I wouldn't pay that for Rance (who i see as the best KPD in the league by a fair stretch).
I have little doubt that offer has come from Collingwood, they would be that desperate for KPD's they would probably do it.

Id pay rance 8mill.

Baguley - 250-300k-ish (350k is the median for an afl player i read somewhere)
Goddard - 400k ish
Would be closer to the mark. I doubt Leuey, if extended, would be offered what he is on currently as a 30yo 2nd ruck. Dea, Jerrett and Brown will all be gone as well unless they buck their current career trends.

I doubt we will, but if we do end up having that sort of cap room, I wouldn't use it on a KPD, I would be throwing as much of it as I need to secure inside mids like Ollie Wines, Tom Liberatore or even De Goey (if he can pull himself together off field) who are all out of contract this year.

Baguley - 250-300k-ish (350k is the median for an afl player i read somewhere)
Goddard - 400k ish
Would be closer to the mark. I doubt Leuey, if extended, would be offered what he is on currently as a 30yo 2nd ruck. Dea, Jerrett and Brown will all be gone as well unless they buck their current career trends.

I doubt we will, but if we do end up having that sort of cap room, I wouldn't use it on a KPD, I would be throwing as much of it as I need to secure inside mids like Ollie Wines, Tom Liberatore or even De Goey (if he can pull himself together off field) who are all out of contract this year.
Would love to get Libba pending due diligence. Wont happen though

I reckon you blokes have no idea......

Bj wouldnt get out of bed for 100k....

Nor should he be paid 3 times less than the average wage...

Min 500k.

Dont forget thats a significant pay cut in a market that has increased the overall salary cap.

Would have thought Bags was, resigned 2015 in career best form with trigger clause for 2018. BJ maybe take 100k.
Nah, he'd be on 350k at most IMO. Bit above average at the time. BJ 500k max.

Would you pay him a mil a year if you already had your Rance equivalent on the books for a mil a year?

Id pay him that much because no one has a rance equivalent on their books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back