Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it before, lower the eyes.
Geelong have combined trading in stars with going the unsexy, workmanlike role players to fill needs
Tim Kelly, lachy constable, menagola, etc.
All came very cheap.

There should be mature age recruits out there that come cheap enough to play a role.
We probably have one in Clarke already. He may not be mcgrath/Merrett flash, but if he is strong and willing enough to do the inside work, let him in.

Trading out Merrett/heppell/zaka seems like a step forward and three back.

Said it before, lower the eyes.
Geelong have combined trading in stars with going the unsexy, workmanlike role players to fill needs
Tim Kelly, lachy constable, menagola, etc.
All came very cheap.

There should be mature age recruits out there that come cheap enough to play a role.
We probably have one in Clarke already. He may not be mcgrath/Merrett flash, but if he is strong and willing enough to do the inside work, let him in.

Trading out Merrett/heppell/zaka seems like a step forward and three back.

Agreed, go hunting for some more mature options from the SANFL or WAFL that might be getting overlooked because they’re ‘older’.

Save our first / second round picks for talented young players if we can, or as per 2017, high quality trades.

Guelfi is a good start for trying to find some mature* options, those 3+ round picks often are so speculative that you might as well go for a 23 year old with a few years in the WAFL that makes for ready-made depth.

Especially if we’re getting a good collection of younger players already.

*mature as in not 17/18

I have great respect for the Geelong FC but their trading and list management is so overrated. They were lucky the best player in the competition grow up in the area and wanted to come home. Where would their list be without Danger?
They did okay without him for about a decade. No team can have everlasting success but even without Danger they’d still have been a probable top eight side.

They did okay without him for about a decade. No team can have everlasting success but even without Danger they’d still have been a probable top eight side.
I was referring to the period since free agency and Chirs Scott's turnover of the list. I don't think they would be top 8 without Danger.

Their era of dominance was unbelievable.

If there is a player from the middle to trade for value it's Heppell unless he changes to a more defensively minded player.

He plays in our team like he's Dusty, Fyfe or Danger but he's really just a B grade accumulator.

There's no disgrace in that but if we're going to have defensively unaccountable first choice mids they need to be game breaking players not plodders.
Because we're totally going to trade our captain...

Yeah coz they got the son of a Hawthorn reject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a Ricky Henderson type.

As I see the list.
Forward line = Stewart, daniher, stringer, razz, tippa. All young and all decent. No needs there.
Ruck = see how draper comes along this year. Otherwise may have a need as Bellcho, burger and mckernan are all getting on in years.
Defence = Hurley and hooker 28/29. Mckenna saad, Gleason good midsize options.Need another key option to come through (zerk?)
Mids = need.
I see our list needs as a key back, ruck and mids aplenty

In terms of rucks I wouldn't completely object to looking at someone like Tom Hickey from St. Kilda. Sure he's not great but he's gone behind Rowan Marshall in the pecking order there and could be handy depth for a while, doesn't really have much of an injury history to speak of.

In terms of rucks I wouldn't completely object to looking at someone like Tom Hickey from St. Kilda. Sure he's not great but he's gone behind Rowan Marshall in the pecking order there and could be handy depth for a while, doesn't really have much of an injury history to speak of.

There's no need.

Keep Leuenberger around for another year or even two while Draper continues to develop. At least Leuenberger has a crack around the ball.

Ideally, we really only want two players on the list who are ruckmen only, one for the AFL side and one for the VFL side. I 'd definitely want two more players who could ruck at least one who could ruck an AFL match but they'd have to be capable of playing other positions. There is not enough game time to develop the third pure ruck unless there is an injury. I think that in the future you have to err on the side of drafting the huge key forward/key defender and turning him into a ruckman (or continue to develop the category B-type project).

It just feels like three pure ruckman on a list is a waste of one list spot. This is why a player like Callum Sinclair is so valuable on a list.

If I'm looking at the the current list with an eye to 2020, I'm hoping that Bellchambers and Draper are numbers 1 and 2 (without caring in which order) with Lavender as a forward/ruck. By this time, it's time to start with the next rookie and he'd need to be able to develop as a key defender or a key forward. If Lavender is three year in the system and 24 years old but not capable of rucking an AFL game it's almost certain that it will never happen.

Develop depth don't trade it in, that's just a waste of a list spot.

Develop depth don't trade it in, that's just a waste of a list spot.
I'm thinking of a case where Draper is 21 and not ready for AFL, Leuenberger has retired, McKernan is cut and Bellchambers has another injury. Having a (currently) 24-26 year old ruck with a bit of AFL experience in that situation would be a good thing.

I'm thinking of a case where Draper is 21 and not ready for AFL, Leuenberger has retired, McKernan is cut and Bellchambers has another injury. Having a (currently) 24-26 year old ruck with a bit of AFL experience in that situation would be a good thing.
Pretty specific scenario. I'd like to think that with another 2 years of development Draper would be able to play in the seniors at a competent level.

Pretty specific scenario. I'd like to think that with another 2 years of development Draper would be able to play in the seniors at a competent level.
I was speaking more specifically next year.

I’d assume we’d draft a mature age ruck if Leuenberger retired. Can’t see us delisting McKernan I’d he retired as well.
Yeah, would make sense. Most likely from the WAFL or SANFL, not really any VFL rucks on the radar this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back