Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Kennedy (GWS) very good again for the Giants today in a 46 point loss to the Swans. Watching it at midday, Nic Newman was also very good.

Swans assembling a very good 185 - 193cm midfield/utilities. H.Marsh, J.Dawson, O'Riordan
How did the young GWS mids look - Bonar, Shipley, etc?

I'd rather save the money and the list spot and take a shot on a 19-22yo mature age midfielder than go down the Wallis route. Players like Grigg, Schloithe and even a younger guy like Podhajski would all provide similar depth but would also have more 'upside' than a 26-year-old known commodity like Wallis whilst taking up half the cap space. Should be looking at the successes of guys like Tim Kelly and even Guelfi.

Wont be a popular opinion but Wallis is an upgrade on Guelfi.

Still think Wallis could have his best years ahead @350k a year over 2 yeara id happily do that for at worse quality depth.

Thie thing at the dogs is he has always been used forward too much or in a negating role. Never a pure ball winning midfielder for a long enough period of time. He was a jet junior i still think with his serioua injuries he could have his best years ahead.

It woulsnt rule us out of the options with GWS onballers the following year or even Sloane this year with a back ended pay.

Why would Wallis sign for sub 400K when this is most likely his last chance to cash in?

Games like last week are great but they paper over the cracks, still need way more size and spread to make the method more sustainable.

Don't need to go crazy with it like Collingwood have with their mids and essentially import everyone but there are a couple of roles within the team I think we could and should be looking to upgrade

Games like last week are great but they paper over the cracks, still need way more size and spread to make the method more sustainable.

Don't need to go crazy with it like Collingwood have with their mids and essentially import everyone but there are a couple of roles within the team I think we could and should be looking to upgrade

Our mids are tiny just cant compete against the likes of DeGeoy,Wines,Treloar types

Our mids are tiny just cant compete against the likes of DeGeoy,Wines,Treloar types
It's when we try putting the likes of Colyer inside that concerns me, we're using guys like him on the inside when they shouldn't be anywhere near the coalface. Much prefer to rotate the likes of McKenna, etc. through then we don't lose so much size.

I still think Sloane is our best bet at trying to get a ready made mid.

Right now , I don't by into Shiel - would be too much of a dream.

FWIW- Will Brodie with 24 touches vs Norf in his first game back.
Also,the kid used to train with us IIRC and may of played with our VFL side. I think if we had pick #5 we would of taken Will there, but we had #1 and it's moot point now anyway.

I still think Sloane is our best bet at trying to get a ready made mid.

Right now , I don't by into Shiel - would be too much of a dream.

FWIW- Will Brodie with 24 touches vs Norf in his first game back.
Also,the kid used to train with us IIRC and may of played with our VFL side. I think if we had pick #5 we would of taken Will there, but we had #1 and it's moot point now anyway.

The quality of Sloane's footy has deteriorated this year. He's been good but by no means great. There would be great risk with taking him as a 29-year old.

Will Brodie though would absolutely be on my radar. Hasn't been given a great deal of opportunity at the Suns but has all the tools to become an excellent inside midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time for me to reinforce my thoughts on the absolute NEED of another best 22 sml fwd (another fantasia would be nice). You would think that with the way footy is being played the team will go with no more than 2 key fwds & Stringer with 3 smalls/resting mids for the foreseeable future. With Daniher fit, I think we have the Key Fwds covered, sure some developing depth would be nice but not a huge priority, I don't think there is a serious need for 2 absolute star key fwds and key fwds can be expensive!
Fantasia & Walla are locks in the best 22. The team obviously requires players to be flexible and small fwds have to be able to play further up the field and in the midfield. Out of the questionable best 22 players that can play the 3rd small fwd/mid position we have: Baguley, Green, Begley, Long, Colyer, Merrett & Houlahan, I would say Begley although still too early to call, is just about the only one that I would have any confidence can be absolute best 22 and give consistent output like any of the Richmond small fwds have done and the Hawks small fwds had done previously. I'd love to target a quick and skillful small fwd that can go through the midfield/wing and provide link up and defensive transition, because I don't think any of those players have shown/have convinced me they have the potential to perform the role consistently enough. I'm thinking/dreaming of players similar to Fantasia/Rioli/Butler/Walters/ Wingard/Breust/Cameron/Greene/Fritsch/Zorko/Elliot/Stephenson. These players are taken at different times of the draft, so could come cheap or we could use a high draft pick on a Rankine if available, most likely not, but one of these types of player would dramatically improve our best 22 and the way we play.

*Also would love a big bodied mid, gun tall fwd, elite running wingman/mid & developing ruck with huge potential, thank you

It's time for me to reinforce my thoughts on the absolute NEED of another best 22 sml fwd (another fantasia would be nice). You would think that with the way footy is being played the team will go with no more than 2 key fwds & Stringer with 3 smalls/resting mids for the foreseeable future. With Daniher fit, I think we have the Key Fwds covered, sure some developing depth would be nice but not a huge priority, I don't think there is a serious need for 2 absolute star key fwds and key fwds can be expensive!
Fantasia & Walla are locks in the best 22. The team obviously requires players to be flexible and small fwds have to be able to play further up the field and in the midfield. Out of the questionable best 22 players that can play the 3rd small fwd/mid position we have: Baguley, Green, Begley, Long, Colyer, Merrett & Houlahan, I would say Begley although still too early to call, is just about the only one that I would have any confidence can be absolute best 22 and give consistent output like any of the Richmond small fwds have done and the Hawks small fwds had done previously. I'd love to target a quick and skillful small fwd that can go through the midfield/wing and provide link up and defensive transition, because I don't think any of those players have shown/have convinced me they have the potential to perform the role consistently enough. I'm thinking/dreaming of players similar to Fantasia/Rioli/Butler/Walters/ Wingard/Breust/Cameron/Greene/Fritsch/Zorko/Elliot/Stephenson. These players are taken at different times of the draft, so could come cheap or we could use a high draft pick on a Rankine if available, most likely not, but one of these types of player would dramatically improve our best 22 and the way we play.

*Also would love a big bodied mid, gun tall fwd, elite running wingman/mid & developing ruck with huge potential, thank you
Shai Bolton is probably gettable at years end.
Butler, Castagna and Rioli will keep him out of the Tigers side. esp with Higgins coming through too.
Whether he turns out to be as good as Fanta, who knows. But might be a handy acquisition.

If Rankine is there at our first pick and we pass, i'd seriously question wtf we are doing...but i'd also question that of every club passing on him before us. Serious talent and his vision can't be taught.

As for a big bodied mid, Myers & Langford have been excellent of late.
I haven't watched the Pies game (i will tonight), but if Myers and Stringer were down when they got hold of us, it's not surprising. They are 2/3 of our bigger bodies (Langford being the other).
Can't help in-game injuries.
Take Pendles and JDG off them mid game and the result flips.

We should be looking for Myers' heir, not his replacement.
Brodie is a good long term option.

the gun tall fwd and developing ruck could be had in one package.
Peter Wright a good example. A player who is similar and available would solve our issues there.
Perhaps King slides to us.

I would like an eye to the future and try recruit Brodie and Setterfield.
I made sure to watch Brodie closely yesterday as he hasn't had much game time this year. Looks like he could be a player. Did turn it over a bit with his longer kicks but that problem has a lot to do with how bad G.C are travelling down forward. Would totes be chasing him if he was coming for a second rounder.

Those suggesting Brodie what pick are yiu handing away? Wed currentky have pick 7 and 25. No doubt 25 becomes a 26 or 27 after priority picks.

Are you guys willing to swap that pick for Brodie considering such a strong draft?

Id rather grab Wallis for money and use that pick as we require a key tall prospect with either our 1st or 2nd

Those suggesting Brodie what pick are yiu handing away? Wed currentky have pick 7 and 25. No doubt 25 becomes a 26 or 27 after priority picks.

Are you guys willing to swap that pick for Brodie considering such a strong draft?

Id rather grab Wallis for money and use that pick as we require a key tall prospect with either our 1st or 2nd

1st pick inside mid
2nd pick tall

I know this is dilusional pearler worthy, bu what would Hurley be worth? Contracted and all. I do not want it too occur because he is a core cultural link within this group. We have already witnessed what can happen when critical players leave as we saw post 2000. But honestly what godfather trade could we not refuse?

Last edited:
Wont be a popular opinion but Wallis is an upgrade on Guelfi.

Still think Wallis could have his best years ahead @350k a year over 2 yeara id happily do that for at worse quality depth.

Thie thing at the dogs is he has always been used forward too much or in a negating role. Never a pure ball winning midfielder for a long enough period of time. He was a jet junior i still think with his serioua injuries he could have his best years ahead.

It woulsnt rule us out of the options with GWS onballers the following year or even Sloane this year with a back ended pay.
He is, but when Parish and Zaharakis are fit, Guelfi won't be in the team. We're going to be recruiting Wallis to either be depth or keep Parish or Zaha out of the team. And I can't see Wallis coming to Essendon to be depth.

100000000%

Whether Gold Coast would accept it is a different story.

You'd be a brave man to spend a top 10 pick on Rankine with our current situation.

I'd do it, but there would be obvious consequences
He's related to Wanganeen, perhaps that helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back