Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lachie neale and tom mitchell are top 3 in the league for clearances. Both are sub 182cm....

Skipping on shiel because he is sub 6 foot is stupid. Kid is a jet.

Also just quietly, Langford and Myers are 191cm each, Heppell is 189cm as well. Say we get wallis at 185cm, if we get too much taller we almost get to the point of being one paced and too tall.

Zerrett, Parish, Smith and possible Shiel balance that out nicely.

He is also the same size as Parish. We have enough small midfielders.

Shiel has serious girth to him, that more than makes up for lacking a couple of centimetres

Shiel is a top 10 mid in the comp and one of the best and most dynamic clearance players going around.

He's essentially a bigger, more powerful Merrett. A midfielder of Shiel's type and quality is the only type of player I'd consider spending big on.

I doubt we have a player on our list that has the combination of midfield nous and athleticism that could become a player like Shiel. McKenna would be closest but he's no where near being a midfielder.

The way the game is being played, I'm not sure that there is a need for more big inside mids if they are on the slow side. Myers, Stringer and Langford is enough for now. Laverde will be able to do it too.

I wouldn't want to commit the salary cap to signing Wallis for four years because I can't see him as a best 22 player even next year. It's all well and good to want more quality but whose spot is he going to take, Myers or Langford? He almost certainly wont be played in a side with those two. Heppell and Stringer when we got our spine back.

Shiel is a top 10 mid in the comp and one of the best and most dynamic clearance players going around.

He's essentially a bigger, more powerful Merrett. A midfielder of Shiel's type and quality is the only type of player I'd consider spending big on.

I doubt we have a player on our list that has the combination of midfield nous and athleticism that could become a player like Shiel. McKenna would be closest but he's no where near being a midfielder.

The way the game is being played, I'm not sure that there is a need for more big inside mids if they are on the slow side. Myers, Stringer and Langford is enough for now. Laverde will be able to do it too.

I wouldn't want to commit the salary cap to signing Wallis for four years because I can't see him as a best 22 player even next year. It's all well and good to want more quality but whose spot is he going to take, Myers or Langford? He almost certainly wont be played in a side with those two. Heppell and Stringer when we got our spine back.

I'm a massive Shiel fan but I think he's a little short of what you are saying. He's more of a top 25 player that has explosive pace and good skills. He doesn't have the footskills nor as much ability to rack up touches as Zac Merrett but is clearly much better on the inside. I think he could become a top 10 player but I don't think he's ever put together a whole season at that level.

I'm a massive Shiel fan but I think he's a little short of what you are saying. He's more of a top 25 player that has explosive pace and good skills. He doesn't have the footskills nor as much ability to rack up touches as Zac Merrett but is clearly much better on the inside. I think he could become a top 10 player but I don't think he's ever put together a whole season at that level.

He did last year and surprise surprise he made the AA team.

GWS were winning in the prelim as well until a certain player got taken out and could not take part anymore. I will let you guess who that was.

Playing with a best 22, who do we want to upgrade on?

Gleeson Hooker Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
Smith Heppell Merrett
Zaka Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Stringer Baguley
TBC Myers Langford
McGrath Parish Redman Goddard

Possibility Bags and Goddard may drop out of that, but even if they play on by end of 2019 they would be coming to the end.

Been impressed with what ive seen from Begley, Ridley, Mutch and Guelfi to date.
I think Laverde could come in for either Goddard or Bags with a bit of luck and continuity.

If we grab Wallis and/or Shiel, they'd certainly come in.
So the kids keep us with a bit of depth.

We don't have many weaknesses other than psychology.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, we all said Myers & Langford can't play in the same side, and we saw how that turned out, but I genuinely can't see how we can have Myers, Langford AND Wallis in the same side. Rotate the later two forward? That would mean no Begley.

agree with this.. our side is developing well. we no longer need to trade in guys who are the "right type" but aren't elite.
only need to bring in absolute cream.

having said that, my tip is that the BF focus will shift pretty soon from "big inside mid" (which it has been for at least 18 months) to KPP. We will need a couple of guns to come up behind hurley and hooker. zerk looks likely, but still a couple of spaces for bright young monsters..

Bit of a depth list for everyone to take a look at. Players will be named twice if they have shown to be a viable option in two positions.

Key position defenders;

Cale Hooker (30 y.o, 197cm)
Mitch Brown (28, 196cm)
Michael Hurley (28, 193cm)
Patrick Ambrose (27, 193cm)
Brandon Zerk Thatcher (20, 195cm)
Aaron Francis (20, 193cm)

Key position forwards;

Cale Hooker (30, 197cm)
Mitch Brown (28, 196cm)
Shaun McKernan (28, 196cm)
Joe Daniher (25, 200cm)
James Stewart (24, 198cm)
Jake Stringer (24, 192cm)

Ruckmen;

Tom Bellchambers (29, 201cm)
Matthew Lleunberger (30, 202cm)
Sam Draper (20, 203cm)
Shaun McKernan (28, 196cm)
Luke Lavender (22, 201cm)

It's all subjective to how you rate them but imho, we really need to be looking to make inroads into our key position forward depth in the next two drafts. Am a big advocate for Bailey Williams with our first pick in this years draft (if we use it and have not traded it) fills a hole in both our key position forward depth and gives us flexibility in 2 - 4 years time with our ruckmen as well.

If i was Essendon i'd be looking for Shiel and an established inside mid from another state league to be picked through the draft.

Then you have 3-4 players who can do the inside mid role, Begley being one of those who needs time and recovery.

Richmond are looking at some good recruits this seasons, and they already have a premiership team.

I would also be looking at Richmond's VFL side.

Top 10 is probably a reach, hes top 25-50 though - it'd be like adding another midfielder of Heppell/Merrett quality (but better on the inside) to our midfield which we could definitely use

On the Wallis issue I guess it depends on the cost. For reference:
  • Myers has never played a full season
  • Langford is only just starting to emerge - full potential still TBD
Despite that - Wallis averages more touches and goals a game then both. Has outperformed both of them this year and is getting into his 'prime'

Wallis would definitely get a game for us in my opinion. Either up forward or through the middle. Plus it would be nice to have a tagger option available if we needed one. I like that we play without one most games but sometimes the situation nearly requires it. Like imagine if we went into a game without Zerrett and Heppell. Wouldn't it help to at least try to shutdown one of their guns instead of just going head to head.

Here's a left field one - get right into the ear of Sam Powell-Pepper.

He's exactly what we need. He's just been dropped which is absolutely ******* mental. He's a gun.

There must be more to his getting dropped because he's a star.

Would be the next best thing to getting Wines. He's more than worth our first round pick.
He's not out of contract though, is he? I can see Port flat out refusing to let him go more than anything tbh. David Kock seems like he'd take the Tony Cochrane approach to managing a would-be departing player during trade week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back