Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, over on Blitz there are some trusted posters that usually provide some info before and during trade period and have a good track record.

One is saying that they don’t think we’ll get Shiel (I’m guessing he may actually be Carlton bound) but that our main focus is Gaff, Setterfield and Tyson.

Another one is saying that despite what the media are saying, North aren’t getting Gaff.

It would make sense to go after Gaff, since it would still leave us with our first round pick to try and get Setterfield with. Hopefully both happen.

For those of you that follow the draft more....with our first round draft pick, if we had a choice between drafting Hatley or using it to trade for Setterfield. Which would be better?

Jeepers, when will people learn to not believe everything they read or hear from the media??? It's like the constant bullshit reporting from the saga has already been forgotten!

As others have said, the trade period is weeks away and many of those being discussed are at clubs with finals still to play. Also, it should be obvious that player managers want to have competition, uncertainty etc. when they are negotiating for their player so they can get the best possible deal.

While I would prefer Shiel (would go close to my favourite non-Dons player), Gaff ticks a few classic Essendon boxes.

- Free
- Screws over North

As long as he doesn't expect North-like-offer-money from us, I'd happily walk away from this period with Gaff only.

It would make sense to go after Gaff, since it would still leave us with our first round pick to try and get Setterfield with. Hopefully both happen.

They’ve provided more detail and said it’s pretty much between Saints, Dees and us to land Gaff.

Absolutely adamant that Gaff won’t go to North. And won’t stay at Eagles.

According to some people in the known on blitz, Hawthorn are keen on him too

Yep but guessing Gaff may not be keen on going to them?

Would love Gaff honestly. But disappointed that Shiel seems bound to go elsewhere. But these things happen.

Shattered if Carlton manage Shiel and Setterfield. And we get someone like Yolman.

Yep but guessing Gaff may not be keen on going to them?

Would love Gaff honestly. But disappointed that Shiel seems bound to go elsewhere. But these things happen.

Shattered if Carlton manage Shiel and Setterfield. And we get someone like Yolman.
The only real appeal Carlton has is cap space and starting 22 roles for players, that’s where it ends imo.

Look at the career overview for blokes like Kreuzer and Murphy; have achieved nothing, career has gotten progressively worse and most young talent around them aren’t exactly getting any better (excl Cripps and Curnow).

If it were me as a player, wouldn’t be hard to be wooed by another vic club

I had sort of put a line through Gibbons before this year but he's taken his game to another level this year. He's kicking it more and providing more drive going forward. I wouldn't be against drafting him with a late or rookie selection. Same goes for Bewley but I've been on him for a while, I suspect he could basically be Nic Newman at AFL level

I had sort of put a line through Gibbons before this year but he's taken his game to another level this year. He's kicking it more and providing more drive going forward. I wouldn't be against drafting him with a late or rookie selection. Same goes for Bewley but I've been on him for a while, I suspect he could basically be Nic Newman at AFL level

Gibbons has literally done nothing different than in recent years. He's kicking close to the same. He is having more impact per possession perhaps but similar numbers than in recent years.

Bewley a Newman clone? Good enough call! Not sure we need that type of unproven talent though (would prefer Newman who's shown he can play AFL).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think Mick Barlow might be worth a look? Would come cheap and provide decent depth.

Yep, exactly the type of depth to have come finals. He’ll be cheap salary wise and good to go when needed in an area of weakness.

Anyone else think Mick Barlow might be worth a look? Would come cheap and provide decent depth.
Not the type of player we are after. To trade someone in they have to be clear best 22, probably also a midfielder. We have the depth covered. When 1 or 2 best 22 players come in, we push 2 others out and create even more depth.

Gibbons has literally done nothing different than in recent years. He's kicking close to the same. He is having more impact per possession perhaps but similar numbers than in recent years.

Bewley a Newman clone? Good enough call! Not sure we need that type of unproven talent though (would prefer Newman who's shown he can play AFL).

Looks to have more acceleration on the spread tonight than I've seen from him previously.

Not the type of player we are after. To trade someone in they have to be clear best 22, probably also a midfielder. We have the depth covered. When 1 or 2 best 22 players come in, we push 2 others out and create even more depth.

He would be free. No trade needed

As a VFL listed player, yes!

Averaged 26 touches in the games he played at around 77% efficiency. With over 9 contested possessions. We have enough pace in the middle to cover his lack of. Would be good to have him as a back up to langers

Not sure CEY displays any defensive skills, looks average to me and weird target tbh. Just target top 10 pick as inside mid. Stringer can spend more time in mid if Myers or Langford are out. Plenty of forward options to cover.

Spot on, our game plan revolves around fast ball movement and whilst we need to add to our inside midfield brigade to win the contest we also rely on good foot skills. Heppell showed in the hawks and tigers game what happens when we kick poor, the opposition kick easy goals.

CEY might fulfill 1 requirement but I can’t see him fulfilling the other therefore it’s a BIG NO from me.

I’d prefer we get bailey smith in the draft.

As for setterfield apparently choosing Carlton surely its a monetary thing, our first priority should be Shiel but if we miss I can’t see why we can’t up the ante on setterfield.

Scenarios/teams up for trade possibilities.

Crows want to move up draft order to get those SA kids, maybe we give pick 8 for something so they can on trade pick 7,8 and 14?

Blues want McGovern, they won’t get him with priority pick, crows will want a higher pick to get those SA kids, paves way for 3 way possible 4 way trade with GWS.

Freo - I said before cerra hasn’t signed, next year he might return to vic, if this is a supposed super draft Freo would be mad not to entertain a deal now that may land them someone of equal value from WA? Draft experts your call.

Tigers - acquisition of Lynch will have salary cap pressure, I’m not entertaining pick 8 here but there are some solid role players that could come cheap that have good foot skills.

Port Adelaide- everyone on trade block according to K man.

GWS - salary cap issues well known.

Saints - need injection of A Grade talent via the draft.

Suns - ??? Always looking to rebuild.

Last edited:
The only real appeal Carlton has is cap space and starting 22 roles for players, that’s where it ends imo.

Look at the career overview for blokes like Kreuzer and Murphy; have achieved nothing, career has gotten progressively worse and most young talent around them aren’t exactly getting any better (excl Cripps and Curnow).

If it were me as a player, wouldn’t be hard to be wooed by another vic club
Reckon Shiel is a chance to go to Carlton. His family are Blues supporters. Carlton mate tells me that Judd is trying to convince Gaff to do likewise.

Carlton had a lot of injuries this season and despite being a way off being a finals contender, they played a lot of kids, a bit like us in 2015. Would not be surprised if they improve a lot.

Bolton makes some wierd moves, such a 1 player up forward against 5 Crows last game. Not sure if he is the right man for them.

Reckon Shiel is a chance to go to Carlton. His family are Blues supporters. Carlton mate tells me that Judd is trying to convince Gaff to do likewise.

Carlton had a lot of injuries this season and despite being a way off being a finals contender, they played a lot of kids, a bit like us in 2015. Would not be surprised if they improve a lot.

Bolton makes some wierd moves, such a 1 player up forward against 5 Crows last game. Not sure if he is the right man for them.

Shiel will be 26 start of next season, Gaff turns 27 during the season. By going to Carlton they will spend their peak years (next 3-4) in almost certain bottom 8-10 side. Not many already elite players are going to do that if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back