Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear I have memories of him floating up the wing...

And yet he kicked the most goals early in the season and also kicked 4 from 20m out against Freo in round 23 last year (when there was no Hooker).

When he played with McKernan the roles were switched and McKernan was played closer to goal.

And yes, he have never been chained to a goal post only allowed to move 30m from goal. Well done.

Stewarts biggest fault is he doesn’t compete well out of position. Needs to take a lesson from Stringer who really developed that part of his game in the second half of the year.

needs to improve on key areas next year to get a game
- 2 way running, when he was dropped we locked the ball easier in our forward half.
- Kicking at goal from 20m to 30m out, he missed a few sitters this year wasting his hard work to get it.
- When not marking inside 50m, getting down the ground and providing link up options.

The general sentiments about Stewart are fine but the idea that there is a correlation between his 'form' issues and Daniher is fake news.

1. For a start Stewart's form hardly declined. He was in our best players in 2 out of his last 4 or 5 games. During that time Brown had a run of 4 VFL games against easy beats in great conditions and his shocker against Footscray was ignored. Stewart then played in a string of games in shitty conditions against good opponents and also played in our run of VFL losses. During that time his possession rate and scoring shots generally stack up against Browns, his conversion did not.

I beg to differ.

Using the AFL Player Ratings as a proxy for impact, this is Stewart with and without Daniher this year.

With Daniher (Rds 1 - 7): 9.8 pts
Without Daniher (Rds 8 - 11): 4.2 pts

So what you call 'hardly declined' is actually a 58% decline in production. That seems sizable to me. To put these numbers in context: 9.8 pts a game would comfortably sit among the top 20 key forwards in the league if replicated over the course of a season. 4.2 pts though is absolutely putrid and the equivalent of running around a man down.

This is particularly interesting since the team itself improved greatly the moment Daniher was rested, which should have, all else equal, led to greater opportunities for Stewart.

I swear I have memories of him floating up the wing...
They took turns pretty much, leaving Hooker deep.

It would a hell of a mobile forward line if we played all of JD, Stringer and Stewart. Direct them all to work their butts off up and down the ground and we could have a real point of difference. Nothing wrong with leaving Fantasia at home to work into space...

Whether there's a correlation with Stewart being better with JD or not we need a key forward in JDs age bracket. Stewart is, if he goes we would have to replace him with another key forward the same age.

The leagues skill level went to s**t when the expansion teams came in. They compromised drafts and caused talent to be thinned out at each team by having too many teams.
Looks like thiscdraft we will see 7 to 8 of the top 20 u18 talented players lumped into two poorly run clubs that dont know how to develop talent.
Carlton should be made to draft established VFL player like Nick Hind before they get a priority pick. Hind is an upgrade on Kerridge.

So if everyone is on the table at Port Adelaide who suits us. I’m assuming wines and boake are off the table for different reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back