Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worry is that he is on and wants big cash. Doubt we’d be meeting his price.
If we could entice him with a 3 year deal on less coin, it's worth asking the question.

He would make us a much better team, if he shows some interest its worth moving some pieces around to make it happen.

If we could entice him with a 3 year deal on less coin, it's worth asking the question.

He would make us a much better team, if he shows some interest its worth moving some pieces around to make it happen.

3 year deal for guys this age is pretty risky. The end comes quick. Ideally we bring in a bloke who’ll be first ruck in Round 1 next year then backup to Draper in 2021, before retiring.

3 year deal for guys this age is pretty risky. The end comes quick. Ideally we bring in a bloke who’ll be first ruck in Round 1 next year then backup to Draper in 2021, before retiring.
2 year deal
trigger for a 3rd in the event he's still going strong after 2 premierships :D

Yikes... far out a whole board of Bombers willing to sh*t all over Ryder because he left during the drug saga. Who are you to say whether he was or wasn't effected by it and whether leaving helped his wellbeing?

Maybe because we're years removed from it now, but regardless of the mishandling of the situation by AFL/ASADA/WADA, the most disappointing thing was that our players were put in that circumstance through no fault of their own. Just young men who were playing footy and trusted a club that should've been taking better care of them.

I don't blame any of them who wanted to leave and remove themselves from that situation. We are seeing more and more stories about how mental health is effecting athletes (Francis, Buddy, Boyd, Steven, etc.) but have completely turned our back on someone who was put in that situation because of our club.

From a list management perspective he is a better back up then Zac Clarke but ideally he would still be #3 on our list (TBC/Draper/Ryder). Would he be willing to be paid accordingly and see his role as that as well? Who knows. I do think it is a nice olive branch to show we take care of our own as Ryder hits the twilight of his career.

You don’t see the difference between Ryder’s exit and all of Carlisle, Hibberd and Melksham? I’d have no issue with the last 3 returning (assuming they filled a need).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was gutted when Paddy left but I don't hold a grudge over it. He handled it poorly but who knows what pressure he was feeling at the time and how that impacted his actions.
We all make mistakes and If it's decided he is the right fit for the list and the group then I'd welcome him home.

Absolute no to Ryder for me.
I’d even boo him if he returned.
I’d rather play Walla as ruck than let that Judas within 100km of Tulla

You don’t see the difference between Ryder’s exit and all of Carlisle, Hibberd and Melksham? I’d have no issue with the last 3 returning (assuming they filled a need).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/349e52f323cfad25876cfa62dba1e229

His partner, Jess McDonald, was at a function when she was approached by a stranger whom she figured was going to compliment her on the bundle of joy cradled in her arms.

Instead, the person looked at her new son, Harlan, and said: “You going to grow up to be a drug cheat like your dad?”

The emotion is obvious in Ryder’s voice when he explains how the football club he loved broke his heart and why for his own health and family happiness he needs to escape the Essendon bubble.

Ryder got sick of being told not to worry when that was all he was doing.

Even during games he would think about the concerns over his son’s health.

These fears were first raised at an ASADA interview — at that stage Jess was pregnant with Harlan — where he learnt there was potential for complications with the birth because of the supplements program he was part of in 2012.

“We were told that we could have serious complications for our child,” he said. “It just put so much stress on my partner and my family. It’s something that we couldn’t hide from.

“But heading into game day my head was not right, it hasn’t been 100 per cent.

“There have been times this year where I thought it was starting to get too much for me.

“Sometimes in games I would go missing because it was always there.

“Mentally and physically I have turned up to the club this year and not really wanted to be there.

The final straw for Ryder was when the “show cause” email from ASADA landed in his inbox in midyear.

“It was just more bad news and it just kept coming. As time passes that trust you have with the club just slowly diminishes because you’re told stuff but you see the opposite happening,” he said.

He still doesn’t know for certain what was injected into his body two years ago and only in recent weeks did Harlan — born a year ago — get the all-clear in terms of his long-term health.

Ryder, who wants to be traded to Port Adelaide before next Thursday’s deadline, is hopeful Essendon follows through on its statement that it has the players’ interests at heart first and foremost in the ASADA scandal.

Yes, I see the difference between Ryder, Carlisle, Melksham and Hibberd's circumstances - Do you?

I suspect that Ryder will go somewhere like GWS or St.Kilda that can offer him a more defined role but I think a couple more years of Ryder would be be very appropriate, pay him bugger all, give him number 53, make him scrap his way into the seniors through the VFL. Essendon supporters would also get to boo him 16 times a season.

We’d also get the answer to the question that plagued the club for the better part of 5 years. How do Bellchambers and Ryder coexist? They both play in the VFL while Sam Draper dominates the seniors

All I know is we need a decent third ruck or it could screw up next season as well. We waste another year of Hurley/Hooker and everyone else.

The club ****** up re saga and pissed away 4 years of these players careers. Based on that Ryder’s comments are nothing by comparison.

All I know is we need a decent third ruck or it could screw up next season as well. We waste another year of Hurley/Hooker and everyone else.

The club ****** up re saga and pi**ed away 4 years of these players careers. Based on that Ryder’s comments are nothing by comparison.
I tend to agree. It was an emotional time for everyone but it's over now. If we're a professional outfit we put the emotion aside having learned from it and developed as people. We look at our current circumstances and evaluate our needs. Will he improve our football? I'm confident he's a better option than Clarke. Is there a better young ruck somewhere? Not sure, but that would be my preference.

2nd young ruck > Ryder > ZClarke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree. It was an emotional time for everyone but it's over now. If we're a professional outfit we put the emotion aside having learned from it and developed as people. We look at our current circumstances and evaluate our needs. Will he improve our football? I'm confident he's a better option than Clarke. Is there a better young ruck somewhere? Not sure, but that would be my preference.

2nd young ruck > Ryder > ZClarke
If we're a professional outfit we ask if the players who were around (numbers 2, 6, 7, 8, 11, 13, 18, 21, 26, 29, 45) want him back. Would they be willing to go in to bat for him? Footy in particular is a tough game to play if many people don't get along with the one person. If it isn't a resounding yes I'll say no.

If we're a professional outfit we ask if the players who were around (numbers 2, 6, 7, 8, 11, 13, 18, 21, 26, 29, 45) want him back. Would they be willing to go in to bat for him? Footy in particular is a tough game to play if many people don't get along with the one person. If it isn't a resounding yes I'll say no.
I agree it's professional to consult the playing group, but it would be the height of professionalism for the players to look again at the circumstances then and now and to see if they can put it behind them and focus on football now. It might even bring out their best.

It's an interesting debate and I can see both sides but surely we bring in someone less injury prone. Paddy would want to be automatic number one so doubt he would come anyway. I see number 1 next year as Tbell and the following year Draper. Reckon they will just get a far better backup.

Ryder is not the answer for mine.

Goldstein for 3 years I am okay with as i think Bellchambers will be done next season.

Jacobs for 2 seasons I would do as well.

Draper is long term but next year will be about getting him back up to scratch and hopefully getting a game or two into him late.

I named my dog Ryder so it’d be handy if he comes back simply so I don’t have to explain to people that I’m not a Port supporter.
Let me guess, you didn't get him neutered as a puppy and he tried to * anything he could too?:D

Very conflicted about this...
He's exactly what we need until Draper is ready for the #1 spof, but on the other hand... but,
* him for how he left and the unnecessary drama/damage that caused.

Last edited:
Id prefer Goldstein or Jacobs if we could nab one of them but I guess if the club does its due diligence and decides on Paddy I'll welcome him back.

Ryder is not the answer for mine.

Goldstein for 3 years I am okay with as i think Bellchambers will be done next season.

Jacobs for 2 seasons I would do as well.

Draper is long term but next year will be about getting him back up to scratch and hopefully getting a game or two into him late.
Jacobs is more cooked than Bellchambers.

The grass is always greener, hey?

Different type of player but what does everyone think of Ben McKay? Will apparently seek a trade for more opportunity and would come relatively cheap and already physically developed.

I haven’t seen him this year but he’s an absolutely huge unit and can play both ends and a little in the ruck too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back