Status
Not open for further replies.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't worry.

Draper is more than a year away from being a decent AFL ruckman. If Draper has to play alot of AFL this year we are in big trouble.

He's further ahead in his development than say what Pyke was for Sydney. If it came to the crunch and we had no choice to play Draper I think he could hold his own providing the team gave him structure e.g he's pretty decent at centre bounces, go forward where possible, if in the backline do not be a link up player nor do you kick.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a back up ruck so I can't say I really care but I'd take Campbell over Clarke and he's a competitor around the ground and competent enough VFL forward. Clarke on the other hand really only ever played forward in AFL and second ruck. Even when the opportunity presented to send Sandi to pasture Clarke found himself delisted.

To put his WAFL numbers into context are they not the same as Draper's? To the extent they're not I bet it's even over the second half of the season when Draper started playing 70% on ball (or a clear majority of game time).

Not saying that Clarke doesn't have a role to play, he's physically mature and AFL experienced but I wouldn't be getting too carried away. He's also about 1 year younger than Bellchambers.

Last edited:

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Fantasia, Tippa, Baguley, Beglye even.

I'm not too worried about that TBH.

That’s not a lot, West Coast took five into the Grand Final (Rioli, Cripps, Le Cras, Ryan and Venebles) and Richmond similar the year before. Definitely an area of need with Begleys health a question mark, Baguleys age and Fantasias durability.

Is he taller than 188cm?

If not, do not want!!

Yet another one who has an obsession with height ! The player is either good enough or not up to standard - Reckon Haydon may have more pressing issues to address than his height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodora/Woosha must hate Campbell too. It's the only plausible explanation.

Campbell has yet to show he is AFL standard - There are no world-beaters in the ruck at the Bulldogs and he still struggled to play regular AFL footy - I am not too excited about Clarke but he has proven to be AFL standard, though you could question his durability.

That’s not a lot, West Coast took five into the Grand Final (Rioli, Cripps, Le Cras, Ryan and Venebles) and Richmond similar the year before. Definitely an area of need with Begleys health a question mark, Baguleys age and Fantasias durability.
Cripps was basically a winger second half of the year and Venables played a lot of midfield minutes too.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Cripps was basically a winger second half of the year and Venables played a lot of midfield minutes too.

Sure, though I dispute the significant midfield minutes of Venables, did not see him play anything close to noteworthy minutes, but the point continues with Richmond and Doggies the two years prior. Having an abundance of small pacy players that can rotate through a pocket or flank is pretty effective right now and we certainly don’t have strong depth in that position with Merrett and Green delisted.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Having an abundance of small pacy players that can rotate through a pocket or flank is pretty effective right now and we certainly don’t have strong depth in that position with Merrett and Green delisted.

Green was no good though.

Let's drag Robbie Nahas back out of the VFL based on that line of thinking and we should be competing in no time :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Green was no good though.

Let's drag Robbie Nahas back out of the VFL based on that line of thinking and we should be competing in no time :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I didn’t say he was good. Simply that we removed that type of player from the list and generally you aim to keep a list balance within reason. Could add Colyer to that as well. That’s three small forwards/high half forwards gone. You’d assume we’d replace at least one of them.

One more A-grade midfielder would do it. Hopefully that develops internally from one/both of McGrath/Langford.

Don’t think it’s too far fetched to suggest we may get two there...

I think outside midfield is one we could look at. Though drafting Hind may cover that.

Really hope we rookie him.

Optically I think it’s important to reward professionalism and performance by your VFL players with a spot on your list.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d have preferred we kept Leuey and gone for a purely speculative 18yo tall, but it is what it is.

Clarke was good in the WAFL by all reports, we could do a lot worse as second stringer to Bellchambers.

Nah, leunberger couldn’t handle the step up into seniors, he knew his body was finished. Clarke is a solid back up but I think Draper will get his chances next year if opportunity presents itself.

Mids and small forwards should be our focus... speed kills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back