Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a **** player like Tom Boyd is retired yet we continue to stick with even shitter footballers like Jake Long.

Seems legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuinely amazed at some of the s**t you willingly post.

McKernan will return within the month as well remember.

I am with Ant555 on this one. We dont need the additional ruck. I would prefer to spend our pick on either
1. State league star midfielder to challenge our current midfield (Jye Bolton, Marlion Pickett etc) and be our Menegola or Tim kelly (in type, not necessarily brownlow level form like the latter)
2. Genuine small forward with upside as our depth behind Bags is shoddy and Fanta is always injured (Adam Tipungwuti, Corey Rich, Sam Lowson - although he is unlikely as blues really like him)
3. Project player who missed out on last year but is showing upside (Ben Kelly, Mitch Riordan, Harry Nolan

We need to take the opportunity to pick a guy we are looking at picking up at the end of the year ahead of time. 6 months of extra development would be a handy headstart.
Lowson is a pretty great example of how the whole purpose of the mid-season draft has been immediately subverted by clubs. The dude has tricks, but is gassed after 5 minutes of VFL intensity - he spends most of the game sucking in air while his man waltzes off down the field. He may very well get picked, but won't set foot on an AFL ground this year.

So there is nothing there that is even worth trying to grab to protect against tbell and Clarke going down?
Well yes there is. The decision is insurance ruck v younger midfield. Just my opinion but from what is available the midfield options seem to be better long term.

tongue in cheek statement because it was rediculous the AFL gave it to Blues and Suns last year.

However it’s opened Pandora’s box and for nearly every argument why they were rewarded those rights there’d be a counter argument to stake our case.

The only 1 we couldn’t? Blues have had more wooden spoons.
They should make the request anyway and include losses to Collingwood and Sydney due to crap umpiring in the submission.

I have a question. When the injured player is no longer injured is the midyear draftee automatically delisted, or can we choose to retain the player and delist another?
The former. Luckily for us it won't happen

I have a question. When the injured player is no longer injured is the midyear draftee automatically delisted, or can we choose to retain the player and delist another?
For midseason vacancies you have to tag the senior player as inactive for the remainder of the season. That's why Richmond haven't listed Rance, they want to leave him the slim chance at a finals return.

It's different from the old LTI, which is only 8 weeks minimum and triggers a rookie downgrade on return.

I can't say I've seen Mitch Hibberd play but at 191cm, 90kgs, at the elite end of the scale of runners in his draft year now playing as an inside mid, producing good numbers, on paper he seems very much like someone we should be looking at.

Hibberd’s an interesting one, I always figured he just wasn’t good enough to make the grade given he never had that intercept element to his game (as a 190 plus back flanker you need that now), wasn’t really a super 1v1 defender and was nothing more than a decent kick but it could well be that he was just a midfielder all a long. Without having seen him this year he certainly feels like a potential option, he’s the same age as Langford and Laverde, mature enough to walk in week one but young enough to still in theory play 200 games if he’s good enough.

There would be a nice slice of irony if we pick him up and he comes good, he was 3-4 picks after Alex Morgan, who we delisted and who then crossed over to North for a second go.

Hibberd’s an interesting one, I always figured he just wasn’t good enough to make the grade given he never had that intercept element to his game (as a 190 plus back flanker you need that now), wasn’t really a super 1v1 defender and was nothing more than a decent kick but it could well be that he was just a midfielder all a long. Without having seen him this year he certainly feels like a potential option, he’s the same age as Langford and Laverde, mature enough to walk in week one but young enough to still in theory play 200 games if he’s good enough.

There would be a nice slice of irony if we pick him up and he comes good, he was 3-4 picks after Alex Morgan, who we delisted and who then crossed over to North for a second go.

Agreed.

He was always touted as a defender and it didn't really suit his game.

Would like to see him play VFL as it would very quickly become apparent if he is good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke Ridley and Laverde are emergencies tonight, which of them is a year away?

Also, Worsfold isn’t going to play a mid-year draft pick if he won’t play any of the above, or many others

I can't say I've seen Mitch Hibberd play but at 191cm, 90kgs, at the elite end of the scale of runners in his draft year now playing as an inside mid, producing good numbers, on paper he seems very much like someone we should be looking at.
Is that the same Hibberd that was drafted to North and then delisted after a year? Or just never drafted?

For midseason vacancies you have to tag the senior player as inactive for the remainder of the season. That's why Richmond haven't listed Rance, they want to leave him the slim chance at a finals return.

It's different from the old LTI, which is only 8 weeks minimum and triggers a rookie downgrade on return.
You also have the right to retain these mid-season rookies into the future, and if you don't retain them at the end of the season then they get an additional 20k payment or something.

Clarke Ridley and Laverde are emergencies tonight, which of them is a year away?

Also, Worsfold isn’t going to play a mid-year draft pick if he won’t play any of the above, or many others

Clarke isn’t going to make it. His footskills haven’t improved enough, would be the exact same problem we have with the midfielders now. Lateral addition at best.

Agreed.

He was always touted as a defender and it didn't really suit his game.

Would like to see him play VFL as it would very quickly become apparent if he is good enough.

I always saw him as more of a winger and was quite interested in picking him up but luckily we went Redman instead who has all of those things I previously mentioned in spades.

The only thing I’ll say with regards to the tall v small debate for the mid season draft is that we’ll likely hit the draft at the end of the year with 2 picks between 30 and 40 ish, which is prime ‘solid if unspectacular inside midfielder that slid down’ territory, and they are always there and will be until the end of time. Could get a Ross, Worpel, Mathieson, Constable, Dumont, Sier, Touk Miller, Hewett type there and grab a tall that’s still developable but can go now if needed in the mid season draft.

I don’t really mind either way, I just hope we don’t use it simply as a function to fill a hole with no thought about getting someone that can really add something going forward. That would be both overtly simplistic and classic Essendon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back