Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think McKernan is depth anymore, he’s as structurally important as anyone. It’s a niche role he’s playing but there aren’t that many going around in that forward/ruck role I’d have instead of him at the moment.

Hooker forward seems the obvious short term solution to me given how well we functioned with him playing the anchor role.

Someone in the know on the GC board has said Martin is definitely gone but can't decide between Vic and WA. GC apparently want him to choose Freo. Something else interesting; Ben King holding off contract negotiations.

Someone in the know on the GC board has said Martin is definitely gone but can't decide between Vic and WA. GC apparently want him to choose Freo. Something else interesting; Ben King holding off contract negotiations.

If true, then the AFL needs to shut up GC move them to Tassie or disband them all together. No one of note is willing to stay more than a few years maximum it seems.

From that list I'd look at Brodie, Miller, Witts and Wright. ( I didn't include rookies)

I’d like us to look at Nakia. Would be cheapish, but upside is there and would fit our midfield nicely.

Injury prone. We have raz and laverde as injury prone " x factor" players.

Also, Geelong actually traded up for Nakia so they probably aren't going to give up on him just yet. If they do, I would be they want Darcy in return.

If true, then the AFL needs to shut up GC move them to Tassie or disband them all together. No one of note is willing to stay more than a few years maximum it seems.

From that list I'd look at Brodie, Miller, Witts and Wright. ( I didn't include rookies)
Rankine re-signed though.
I'm interested to hear more about King. Wright signed a cluple of months ago, along with a couple of others. Dew has the players' belief I think. Both Dew and Shaw's impacts, although limited, speak well for Sydney.

They could merge with North and move. They could be the Tassie Sunshinners 🙂

Rankine re-signed though.
I'm interested to hear more about King. Wright signed a cluple of months ago, along with a couple of others. Dew has the players' belief I think. Both Dew and Shaw's impacts, although limited, speak well for Sydney.

What exactly is Dew’s impact at this stage? They’ve had pretty much the same round 5 onwards death spiral they’ve had for the last couple of years

Their percentage is tracking up, so either their defence has improved or they're kicking more goals. Bit early to tell exactly. I was just making the observation that the players seem more invested. Richmond was obviously a blow out last week, but they've also had narrow losses, one against Freo and one against Melbourne. Maybe look again at tje end of the season.

What exactly is Dew’s impact at this stage? They’ve had pretty much the same round 5 onwards death spiral they’ve had for the last couple of years

He's another who got a job too early in the cycle like Bolton. He'll need a free ride to survive long enough for GC to get off the bottom.

They basically botched the 2016 draft in which they had 4 top 10 picks.

Low energy Scrimshaw, a small forward, an admittedly very good player (Bowes) and an inside mid who is struggling.

Talk about coach killers. That was supposed to be the foundation for the next generation.

Their list is horrible, at its weakest in the middle of the ground and I cant see what's coming through.

Not even sure that Clayton is still heading up recruiting but it looks like he is and that's bad enough.

Even Lukosious concerns me. He might be a very good player but he's not a forward you build a team around.

Martin has been there for 6 years now, so he's not exactly leaving early. King has had one foot out the door since the day his name was called out - by all reports he was hoping he would last until Pick 7 as it meant the Dogs would have taken him (since we were mad keen on him) as that was his only chance of staying in Victoria with his brother (who was always going to the Saints at Pick 4). I think they've turned a corner with their younger players lately, as they seem to have far less retention issues among the young guys. It now seems to be the older ones leaving who've been around a while and seen no success (Lynch, May, Martin)

King will be an interesting one for us to keep an eye on if he wants back in the near future. No idea if Lloyd has any connections inside Essendon anymore (probably unlikely given some of his public comments about Worsfold this year) but he worked closely coaching both King boys last year for school footy at Haileybury.

King will be an interesting one for us to keep an eye on if he wants back in the near future. No idea if Lloyd has any connections inside Essendon anymore (probably unlikely given some of his public comments about Worsfold this year) but he worked closely coaching both King boys last year for school footy at Haileybury.

Saints will be keeping tabs you think they have his brother as a lure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn’t made a lot of ground but has held ground despite losing Lynch and while moving kids into the positions of senior players. He’s getting a stack out of Miller, Bowes, Wright, Fiorini, Macpherson, Weller, Ballard and Powell. Getting the best out of senior players in Swallow, Harbrow and Hanley who are buying into roles. Keep them together for long enough and they’ll start to get wins when they can keep Rankine and Ainsworth on the park and acquire Rowell and Anderson and they’ll be playing finals in 2021.

He's another who got a job too early in the cycle like Bolton. He'll need a free ride to survive long enough for GC to get off the bottom.

They basically botched the 2016 draft in which they had 4 top 10 picks.

Low energy Scrimshaw, a small forward, an admittedly very good player (Bowes) and an inside mid who is struggling.

Talk about coach killers. That was supposed to be the foundation for the next generation.

Their list is horrible, at its weakest in the middle of the ground and I cant see what's coming through.

Not even sure that Clayton is still heading up recruiting but it looks like he is and that's bad enough.

Even Lukosious concerns me. He might be a very good player but he's not a forward you build a team around.

He hasn’t made a lot of ground but has held ground despite losing Lynch and while moving kids into the positions of senior players. He’s getting a stack out of Miller, Bowes, Wright, Fiorini, Macpherson, Weller, Ballard and Powell. Getting the best out of senior players in Swallow, Harbrow and Hanley who are buying into roles. Keep them together for long enough and they’ll start to get wins when they can keep Rankine and Ainsworth on the park and acquire Rowell and Anderson and they’ll be playing finals in 2021.

I’m somewhere in the middle, by no means do they deserve a priority pick but I’m not optimistic about them at all, it can change pretty quickly but I think they’re a mile off.

Instead of a priority pick I’d give them a one off endowment to put to the footy department outside the cap. The only way they’re any hope of retaining people going forward is if they invest in the important stuff and become an absolute model organisation like Sydney and get the right people in the right roles.

I’m somewhere in the middle, by no means do they deserve a priority pick but I’m not optimistic about them at all, it can change pretty quickly but I think they’re a mile off.

What is deserving of a priority pick? Shocking performance or evidence they’ed use it effectively?

That list is deplorable, can’t really blame Dew, comparing their list with Carltons. On paper Carlton should be a minimum 3 win better team

That list is deplorable, can’t really blame Dew, comparing their list with Carltons. On paper Carlton should be a minimum 3 win better team

Their list isn’t too bad. If they keep their forward line together it’ll be the undisputed best in the competition in 3-4 years.

Their list isn’t too bad. If they keep their forward line together it’ll be the undisputed best in the competition in 3-4 years.

Going off this weeks team the only players who would be in our best 22 would be Weller, Fiorini, Miller, Witts and Swallow. After that it really drops off, they’re a very bad football team.

What is deserving of a priority pick? Shocking performance or evidence they’ed use it effectively?

I think it’s both, but you have to assess circumstances. Obviously another Walsh/McGrath level ‘can’t miss’ prospect that will essentially develop himself isn’t ever going to be a bad thing but it doesn’t address the root cause, which is that they’re a top down organisational shambles.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea for them to get more priority access to state leaguers to help beef out their list but to make them sustainable they’ve got to improve their recruiting and development and put big time into their academy so players actually have some kind of incentive to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back