Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we got him and won a flag would you be disappointed?

One leg Belly, Zac Clarke and a 20yr old recovering from an ACL aren't seeing off Hooker and Hurley very well.

mmm but I don't think he's the difference maker between us being a barely made finals team to premiership team. If fit maybe Paddy would move us towards second weeks finalist team? maybe a borderline top 4 team?

He'd still be better than Clarke even on 1 leg though.

I dont like the idea of 2 x 30 plus ruckman with now significant injury history on the list with the other being zac clarke and draper coming off the acl.

Ryders form hasnt been good either so not sure why people will think he will even make us much better.

Get someone younger if you can.

Big bodied inside mid. Heard a northern club is into RCD. Personally I feel He would be similar to Myers and does not get enough of it.
Constable would be the kid i'd go for.
After that, Willem Drew

Both struggling to crack some strong midfields (though Selwood may retire, opening a spot for Constable).
Should fix the ruck first. No amount of inside mid is going to help when the opposition ruckman dishes it up on a plate to his midfield.

UFA - Goldstein. 2 year contract. Clauses for a 3rd
Late 2nd/early 3rd pick for Drew
Hit the draft with the other 2 picks and grab the best of whats available (outside flankers)
Plus the Irish kid we're linked to.

Letting Ryder come back would be like letting your girlfriend come back after cheating on you.

We must send the message that if you choose to want to leave the Essendon FC and reneg all possible success, then you can gladly do so... but don't ever expect to be welcomed back.

We are better than that. Look elsewhere.

If we got him and won a flag would you be disappointed?

One leg Belly, Zac Clarke and a 20yr old recovering from an ACL aren't seeing off Hooker and Hurley very well.
It's not an either/or question. I don't want him back at the club and I don't believe getting him back means we win a flag. The mind boggles that the club would actually entertain him returning. It's not like he'd be welcomed with open arms by everyone. And if he himself was willing to come back it just goes to show what a duplicitous, disingenuous piece of s**t he is. The very thought of that campaigner pulling on an Essendon jumper again makes me want to vomit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On principle, I wouldn't let Ryder within a bull's roar of the club. He chose out, not caring about sabotaging our finals in the timing of his announcement, citing family reasons but getting the geography wrong by about 2000km, citing the saga despite signing a new contract after he knew all there was to know about it. and then, on top of all that, he refused to go to any club other than Port Adelaide, thus giving them the bargaining power to screw us in the trade eventhough he was contracted (unlike Carlisle in similar circumstances who said he would go elsewhere if St. Kilda did not offer a reasonable trade).
Ryder exemplifies the ruthless bashing of our club at that time, by one of its own.
Time heals all? I don't think so. He can go and do something severely painful to his own nether region as far as I am concerned.

Forgetting principle, and on purely football/list management considerations, from next year on we are on a transition from Bellcho to Draper, depending on Bellcho's rate of decline and fitness, and Draper' recovery from the ACL. Anyone else is backup only. That back up should not be a 32yo who can barely string a few games together and is living off the reputation of his past ability. I would rather a young VFL wannabee, a Ceglar/Jacobs/Abbott etc type, or Bowman.
ALL of this but with less words.

I'm surprised Tippa hasn't committed yet, Have never been worried but should we be?

Will be a big relief when they sign Tippa, Redman and Francis.

I'm surprised Tippa hasn't committed yet, Have never been worried but should we be?
I dont know what his story is but no, i think he's doing himself more harm than good..... his one week on, a few weeks off form for 3/4'ers of the year is only doing his hopes of a big pay day(if thats what his looking for) harm. No club(hopefully the bombers included) would pay massive overs to sign a guy that has.... what!?! lets be generous and say 7 games where he's heavily impacted the scoreboard and a small handful of games where he's been really useful doing other things where he hasn't hit the score board. You don't pay big $$ to a guy who's giving you 11 decent games for the year. The caveat is the small forward position is a tough place to be consistent but to give context if Luke Bruest and Eddy Betts are the yard sticks for small forwards for the last 6 or so years, both have kicked more goals this season than AMT and both have been discussed as having poor years based on their standards.

i know everyone’s been eagerly awaiting my views here, so apologies for the wait, but i wanted to give it its due consideration.

I really like the idea of Ryder coming back. I think it would put a neat line through the saga and be a mental trigger that it is over and everyone has moved on.

it would also show that he was full of s**t with his fake concerns of the program’s impact which would be nice too.

the other thing is we could screw him on his contract and players could take turns to s**t in his locker.

On principle, I wouldn't let Ryder within a bull's roar of the club. He chose out, not caring about sabotaging our finals in the timing of his announcement, citing family reasons but getting the geography wrong by about 2000km, citing the saga despite signing a new contract after he knew all there was to know about it. and then, on top of all that, he refused to go to any club other than Port Adelaide, thus giving them the bargaining power to screw us in the trade eventhough he was contracted (unlike Carlisle in similar circumstances who said he would go elsewhere if St. Kilda did not offer a reasonable trade).
Ryder exemplifies the ruthless bashing of our club at that time, by one of its own.
Time heals all? I don't think so. He can go and do something severely painful to his own nether region as far as I am concerned.

Forgetting principle, and on purely football/list management considerations, from next year on we are on a transition from Bellcho to Draper, depending on Bellcho's rate of decline and fitness, and Draper' recovery from the ACL. Anyone else is backup only. That back up should not be a 32yo who can barely string a few games together and is living off the reputation of his past ability. I would rather a young VFL wannabee, a Ceglar/Jacobs/Abbott etc type, or Bowman.

Letting Ryder come back would be like letting your girlfriend come back after cheating on you.

We must send the message that if you choose to want to leave the Essendon FC and reneg all possible success, then you can gladly do so... but don't ever expect to be welcomed back.

We are better than that. Look elsewhere.

i know everyone’s been eagerly awaiting my views here, so apologies for the wait, but i wanted to give it its due consideration.

I really like the idea of Ryder coming back. I think it would put a neat line through the saga and be a mental trigger that it is over and everyone has moved on.

it would also show that he was full of s**t with his fake concerns of the program’s impact which would be nice too.

the other thing is we could screw him on his contract and players could take turns to s**t in his locker.

Yikes... far out a whole board of Bombers willing to sh*t all over Ryder because he left during the drug saga. Who are you to say whether he was or wasn't effected by it and whether leaving helped his wellbeing?

Maybe because we're years removed from it now, but regardless of the mishandling of the situation by AFL/ASADA/WADA, the most disappointing thing was that our players were put in that circumstance through no fault of their own. Just young men who were playing footy and trusted a club that should've been taking better care of them.

I don't blame any of them who wanted to leave and remove themselves from that situation. We are seeing more and more stories about how mental health is effecting athletes (Francis, Buddy, Boyd, Steven, etc.) but have completely turned our back on someone who was put in that situation because of our club.

From a list management perspective he is a better back up then Zac Clarke but ideally he would still be #3 on our list (TBC/Draper/Ryder). Would he be willing to be paid accordingly and see his role as that as well? Who knows. I do think it is a nice olive branch to show we take care of our own as Ryder hits the twilight of his career.

Just again re Goldstein after doing further study his durability has been largely undersold.

Since 2010 Games played 21, 21, 20, 22, 21, 21, 21, 19, 22, 21*.

Thats outstanding for a 31 year old ruckman. 34 touches on the weekend shows he isn't slowing down either

Just again re Goldstein after doing further study his durability has been largely undersold.

Since 2010 Games played 21, 21, 20, 22, 21, 21, 21, 19, 22, 21*.

Thats outstanding for a 31 year old ruckman. 34 touches on the weekend shows he isn't slowing down either

Worry is that he is on and wants big cash. Doubt we’d be meeting his price.

Worry is that he is on and wants big cash. Doubt we’d be meeting his price.
Alternative is the Saints, where he makes cash but unlikely a flag
If we can get close on price, i reckon he goes a long way to us getting into top 4 contention.

Get Raz, Daniher and Smith fit for the year.
More of Clarke & Ambrose tagging
Redman getting further up the field.

i guess it's whats left to attract him over once Tippa, Francis, Redman and Clarke sign on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back