Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stack the midfield with pressure and contested players

Something we have failed to do.

Apart from Jobe cant remember the last time we drafted a contested inside mid like a Viney,Degoey,Trleoar etc .

When we do draft mids it's always skinny outside types or hbf that we try to turn into mids.

We have always focused on developing KPP instead of mids.. While teams like pies and melbourne just stock their midfield with big bodied players who can get the ball and help block their team mates. If you have a good midfield an avg fwd line and backline will be able to hold their own.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have always focused on developing KPP instead of mids.. While teams like pies and melbourne just stock their midfield with big bodied players who can get the ball and help block their team mates. If you have a good midfield an avg fwd line and backline will be able to hold their own.

Until we fix it we won't win a flag,flags are aways won by having dominant midfields.

Our midfield is nowhere near good enough for finals footy. We need a serious injection of ball winning ability, either through draft or trade. Let’s face the fact that we haven’t been anywhere close to the top sides of the competition since 2001 and if we keep plodding along recruiting half back flankers and undersized mids it won’t change any time soon either.

Our midfield is nowhere near good enough for finals footy. We need a serious injection of ball winning ability, either through draft or trade. Let’s face the fact that we haven’t been anywhere close to the top sides of the competition since 2001 and if we keep plodding along recruiting half back flankers and undersized mids it won’t change any time soon either.
Yeah just shows we need to go hard on getting at least 1 mid gaff, shiel. Collingwood shows midfield depth is massive. And we can hope Joey is back to full fitness , shows how important a bail out kick is.

Essendon avoiding inside mids like:
200.gif

While i cede your point the highest pick of those guys is 42, and all 3 have been taken in the last 2 years.

It sort of goes to prove B4Ls point that we have a decent history of avoiding top shelf mids with our draft choices.
Parish being the only exception i can think of in the last 6-7 years.
McGrath was a top shelf mid, like a few we have drafted he also played other positions but when he did play midfield he was amongst the better players in his draft class playing that role. I mean Heppell has turned out a good top 10 midfielde choice and we struck gold with Zerrett with our first pick in his draft.

Imo you pick the best talent early and then look to needs later or through trades. Just look at Higgins drafted to Richmond last year, they didn’t need more small forwards but they chose the best player available and looked to needs later on with Balta and Coleman-Jones.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield actually holds up quite well, all things considered. We finished the season well, beat most teams and competed with the top teams.

Considering the draft penalties our list management team have had to work through, I’d say they’ve done a very good job considering (Zerrett, Fanta, McGrath).

This brings us to the now - we are looking to draft/trade inside talent; the club has not shyed away from that.

Keep your skirts on, blimey.

While i cede your point the highest pick of those guys is 42, and all 3 have been taken in the last 2 years.

It sort of goes to prove B4Ls point that we have a decent history of avoiding top shelf mids with our draft choices.
Parish being the only exception i can think of in the last 6-7 years.

Tigers and Pies have both largely fleshed out their midfield groups with everyone else’s discards, mature ages recruits and hard nut hoisters who can’t hit the side of a barn.

We’ve placed far too high a valuation on skills for where the game is headed

Our midfield ranks up better than you’d think statistically but we’re definately missing one inside mid, whether that be Shiel, Setterfield, a draftee or someone else.

Tigers and Pies have both largely fleshed out their midfield groups with everyone else’s discards, mature ages recruits and hard nut hoisters who can’t hit the side of a barn.

We’ve placed far too high a valuation on skills for where the game is headed

I can't watch Collingwood and Richmond's game plan. I'm glad we are trying a skill based one. I don't think you can predict where the game is headed, but if everyone goes to the knock it on at all costs style I won't be watching.

Its definitely better watching teams like GWS. If they have a good run with injuries their skills will tear Richmond's style apart.

I can't watch Collingwood and Richmond's game plan. I'm glad we are trying a skill based one. I don't think you can predict where the game is headed, but if everyone goes to the knock it on at all costs style I won't be watching.

Its definitely better watching teams like GWS. If they have a good run with injuries their skills will tear Richmond's style apart.
You work with what you’ve got. Richmond have done very well. I’d prefer success over a certain game plan

You work with what you’ve got. Richmond have done very well. I’d prefer success over a certain game plan

Of course if your a fan a win is a win, and of course I'd prefer success over a certain game plan as well. However I also want the game to be watchable for everyone. You can only enjoy watching Richmond if your a Richmond fan or your getting paid to watch them.

Of course if your a fan a win is a win, and of course I'd prefer success over a certain game plan as well. However I also want the game to be watchable for everyone. You can only enjoy watching Richmond if your a Richmond fan or your getting paid to watch them.
I’m sorry I disagree you mention you would not watch teams like Richmond or Collingwood with the knock it on at all costs.

Watching Collingwood last night was very entertaining.

GWS might be good to watch but there has been no success. I’m sick of 2000 being our last premiership. I want success and if it’s ugly football at times I’ll take it.

Look, it's pretty elitist of us to sit here as a side outside the eight and say 'we play better looking footy that they do', so there's clearly got to be a balance of crash and bash and blokes that can actually kick a drop punt, and I feel like we're very much there if late season form holds true.

Having said that, if we're comparing Collingwood and Richmond's game plan the skill level of their mid group is undoubtedly above where Richmond is and at least they actually value the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back