Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL just announced that Carlton Do NOT get a priority pick.
giphy.gif

He was very good then but in such a limited role and failed to recapture that form. I don’t think he’s shown enough in the other seven years to think that wasn’t an aberration of time and place.

Maybe so, but I think a few factors contributed to that this year, mainly tigers game plan to play jack R with an abundance of smalls. Think they lacked Townsend’s toughness against pies...

He also falls out with Lynch arrival and I threw his name up only to replace a Hartley or Ambrose if they get traded to Suns as part of Martin trade.

No actual news or rumours today. I’m disappointed bigfooty. Where are all the dad’s mate’s wive’s son’s friend’s uncles this year?
BREAKING NEWS: My Dads mates wives sons friends pet chia pet that used to be a house mate of Caroline Wilson’s third cousins eaten chicken McNugget understands that we are aiming to be active in a trade period.

Read into that how you will.

Draft pick (not this years first, most likely next years first) plus package of selected players such as Hartley, Ambrose, Baguley, Colyer maybe a talented but fringe AFL player that will give 10+ years at Suns if developed properly.

For return of Martin and latter draft picks.

I’m happy to pay slight overs for Martin ala pies gave 2 first rounders for Treloar.

Suns need a blend of future talent plus those experienced players that can set the foundations of professional standards ala GWS with chad Cornes, That thug ruckman, Luke power etc.

If we traded out Ambrose I’d definitely look at trying to acquire Townsend from tigers on the cheap, hard nosed forward that we could use.

Paying overs for Treloar is a different thing to paying overs for Martin.

Treloar is a number 1 or number 2 mid.

Martin is a flanker and maybe a winger. We don't go near Treloar type overs unless it's for a mid of that quality (or a key forward if we needed it).

Paying overs for Treloar is a different thing to paying overs for Martin.

Treloar is a number 1 or number 2 mid.

Martin is a flanker and maybe a winger. We don't go near Treloar type overs unless it's for a mid of that quality (or a key forward if we needed it).

I’m not saying paying 2 x first round picks for Martin, you’re right he’s not in Treloar league, but if you want somebody in contract you have to appear to give overs to get the player you seek.

In the end you’re banking on the potential talent one player presents to come to fruition, much like Burgoyne to hawks or how Essendon got Matty Lloyd.

Ps I think Martin will be more than just a flanker/wingman.

Last edited:
I’m not saying paying 2 x first round picks for Martin, you’re right he’s not in Treloar league, but if you want somebody in contract you have to appear to give overs to get the player you seek.

In the end you’re banking on the potential talent one player presents to come to fruition, much like Burgoyne to hawks or how Essendon got Matty Lloyd.

Ps I think Martin will be more than just a flanker/wingman.

Burgoyne was a premiership player with 100 games of experience and Lloyd was a prodigy given to us in exchange for spare parts.

Last year the Lions 'paid overs' to get Cameron over the line because they had picks out the wazoo, significant issues with player retention and finally got someone to want to come to them. The same reason the Suns gave up 2 for Weller.

The market for what he is and what he's done was pretty well framed last year, Charlie Cameron was traded for pick 12 after a breakout year and Jarman Impey was traded for 34 and change after a so-so year. I think Martin falls pretty well smack bang in the middle.

Unfortunately this is better for them. For instance the first four mature aged state players last year were Kelly, Fristch, Ryan and Langdon.
Two of those would be a better return than them taking another kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also falls out with Lynch arrival and I threw his name up only to replace a Hartley or Ambrose if they get traded to Suns as part of Martin trade.

Don’t think he’s an area we need to cover, he’s a pseudo tall but we already have depth in that area. Stringer starting with Stewart, Smack, Laverde, Brown to cover. Much prefer we use any open list spot on midfielders as we are still likely to bring in a Fletcher and Hanna.

Young family, may want to stay down here.

Young family, he may want security for them. If he can get 3 years elsewhere, better money and a serious chance to play regularly, surely he’d have to seriously consider it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t think he’s an area we need to cover, he’s a pseudo tall but we already have depth in that area. Stringer starting with Stewart, Smack, Laverde, Brown to cover. Much prefer we use any open list spot on midfielders as we are still likely to bring in a Fletcher and Hanna.
He would play a Travis Varcoe/ Shane Edwards role, running goal kicker that has lightning reflexes in tight and can have long stints in the midfield. He will add genuine class to our midfield.

He is not an alternative to the lumbering forwards. But he is 185cm with awesome goal kicking skills.

He runs hard all game long. Not very high possessions (16 average), but metres gained through run is high. Added to the injured 25% of the time.

Interesting that he had picked Essendon. Perhaps Saad got into his ear.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why you would reward a team that has intentionally bottomed out and knew they would be terrible in the hope they eventually become good. If you deliberately trade out your best player the year before for picks (not to mention, Tuohy, Garlett, Betts and Waite) then I’m sorry but you’ve asked for all the pain which goes with it.

Does my head in.

I don’t understand why you would reward a team that has intentionally bottomed out and knew they would be terrible in the hope they eventually become good. If you deliberately trade out your best player the year before for picks (not to mention, Tuohy, Garlett, Betts and Waite) then I’m sorry but you’ve asked for all the pain which goes with it.

Does my head in.

Because - for the AFL - Carlton being a basket case doesn’t help the bottom line.

I prefer this option than the priority picks; they’re either taking ready-made players who can contribute immediately (without being likely to be superstars) or - if they can trade them - they don’t mess with the existing draft order by giving out extra picks.

Does my head in.

when I was travelling, in every country the locals to a man said do not give money to beggars. it only encourages them to beg for more

AFL should take heed, get the Carltons of this world to have a shave, get a hair cut and make something of themselves

when I was travelling, in every country the locals to a man said do not give money to beggars. it only encourages them to beg for more

AFL should take heed, get the Carltons of this world to have a shave, get a hair cut and make something of themselves

Locals tend to be arseholes no matter where you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back