Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not as enthused by Scully as I am about Shiel. Scully is a quality player (assuming his ankle is OK) but I worry about the impact on our salary cap if we grab him as well. Definitely will mean getting rid of some mature age depth and could possibly cost us one of our guns in the future.

On the plus side, Hawk fans would have a fit.

It's pretty poor form to criticise North for attempting to lure big fish - What most don't understand, is that North making big offers for players, puts the other clubs under pressure to up their offers and ultimately forces a salary cap squeeze which makes that club lose players and sometimes good players.

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
It's pretty poor form to criticise North for attempting to lure big fish - What most don't understand, is that North making big offers for players, puts the other clubs under pressure to up their offers and ultimately forces a salary cap squeeze which makes that club lose players and sometimes good players.
That is a secondary objective. The primary objective is to land the player and they are 0/4 with De Goey, Dusty, Kelly and Gaff. They deserve to be paid out. Shiel deal will be a testimony to how a proper club with a well presented pitch can lure a top quality player (not as good as the other four but still top quality) for unders.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

Nah it’s fine.

bomberz20_72

All Australian
Jul 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
That is a secondary objective. The primary objective is to land the player and they are 0/4 with De Goey, Dusty, Kelly and Gaff. They deserve to be paid out. Shiel deal will be a testimony to how a proper club with a well presented pitch can lure a top quality player (not as good as the other four but still top quality) for unders.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Heaney as well

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

You are going to be in for quite a surprise next season if you think Shiel isn't as good as Gaff or De Goey.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not as enthused by Scully as I am about Shiel. Scully is a quality player (assuming his ankle is OK) but I worry about the impact on our salary cap if we grab him as well. Definitely will mean getting rid of some mature age depth and could possibly cost us one of our guns in the future.

On the plus side, Hawk fans would have a fit.

Look no further than Port for an example of what happens when the squeeze gets too tight.

I really, really wouldn't want to be short on coin and opportunity for Redman next year. We'll end up being laughed at but that doesn't matter because we don't acknowledge it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Hell, we're still busy mocking Hawthorn for winning 15 games and making top 4 this year.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
GWS don't believe Scully can get back to his best - hence letting go for a packet of chips - had a horrendous ankle injury - player relies mainly on running ability as his main strength. Still millions left on his contract

how many flashing warning signals do we need?

go to hawthorn!

Isn't his contract only $500k a year? I know it runs until 2021 but his estimated cap impact isn't as severe as has been thrown about. At least not based on what I've read.

Not that I'm saying we should go for him but his contract is far from outrageous (unless of course his body is completely shot).

bomberz20_72

All Australian
Jul 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
We all realise nothing will get done today, right? Sheil/Shield/Sheeld/Shilled/Sheel will land tomorrow.
I thought it might have been announced today, to be honest... but you’re most likely right. There’ll be a flurry of trades tomorrow!

I only realised last night that it finishes at 2030 tomorrow night!

Prime time TV for the end of the trade period...

bomberz20_72

All Australian
Jul 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
What is this live tv extravaganza everyone is talking about?
It’s the AFL trade periods version of plucka duck... basically we will spin the wheel and end up with Shiel for two first rounders, but the whole crowd will be yelling Plucka Duck, Plucka Duck... so we will, and as big Plucka jumps on his bike to start his duck carousel, anticipation builds and builds, Jackets steps forward and plucks a duck.... the crowd goes silent and the big reveal is - Shiel and GWS 1st rounder for Dyson and our 3rd rounder.

Jackets keeps his composure, simply grabs the mic off of Darryl, drops it and walks out

Trade period finishes

We win trade period once again

Last edited:
We all realise nothing will get done today, right? Sheil/Shield/Sheeld/Shilled/Sheel will land tomorrow.
Just need to get the powder on Dodoro's brow and the cameras rolling and we are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back