Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The list is almost at a need to rebuild stage. Hooker/Hurley/Zaka/Heppell/TBC core group are all past their prime. Daniher is 50/50 whether he recovers his pre injury form. Langford/Laverde still not showing enough. Huge amount of flankers. A KPF/ruckman remains priority number 1 for mine, as well as replacing Dodoro with someone who can objectively assess our list

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
The list is almost at a need to rebuild stage. Hooker/Hurley/Zaka/Heppell/TBC core group are all past their prime. Daniher is 50/50 whether he recovers his pre injury form. Langford/Laverde still not showing enough. Huge amount of flankers. A KPF/ruckman remains priority number 1 for mine, as well as replacing Dodoro with someone who can objectively assess our list
Heppell and Hurley past their prime LOL one is 27 and the other is 29.
The hysteria coming from this board is hilarious.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

Outside Heppell, it could be worth exploring some of them
Hooker & TBC deserve a bit of success. Hurley could make a contender of some teams on the cusp. And we're fairly well stocked in defence (though i'd probably want one coming in if both left)

Hooker & TBC to GWS would give them 2 years of both to win a flag
Hurley to the Dogs or Pies would plug a major gap. And he'd give both a good 4-5 years.
Zaka...well to anywhere.
Langford and Laverde i wouldn't begrudge a move to try kickstart their careers.

Not ready to let Daniher or Heppell go. Both have time and when fit are in our best.

A fresh look at the list and the strategy is a good idea. And doing it this year where i doubt we're overly active short of pulling the trigger on the above is a good idea. Gets whoever picks up the mantle ready for our 2020 draft.

We need to bring in 2 young natural forwards.
Yep
A FF - Fogarty/King
A 3rd tall - ?? Do we need one that can ruck? Frampton? Or someone who can get Stewart fit.

With a view to getting Stringer in the middle more in a Dusty type role.

I find the want to move Hurley on pretty ridiculous, particularly since our drop off in form and us conceding big scores correlates with him being out of the side

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Im the same this Hurley, Myers, Hooker, Heppell, Zacka, TBC group doesnt have what it takes to succeed. Its been proven.

Still dont think the list is terrible and injuries are hurting. But were only going to be a middle of the road side again next year in my opinion. Im also not suggesting to get rid of all these guys at once but to get young talent in some might have currency to get us inside the top 30 by departing to the right sides.

Alot are also holding back the likes of Parish, Francis, Begley, Mcgrath ect we still dont know exactly where these guys are at. Im not sure Laverde or Langford are anything or will be anything. They dont have a natural position. We arent seeing enough of Ridley, BZT at the highest level aswell.

We must get a ruck of some quality better than Zac Clarke. Jacobs, Ceglar, Ryder for 2 years after missing an opportunity with Ladhams.

Ollie Wines playing SANFL, see where his heads at i know hes the captain but it would be like us picking Heppell in the VFL.

Zacka
Hooker
Hurley

should all be on the table and id move on all 3 at the right price.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Of the 3 hed be the last one to go but if i got the right price id let him go.

Ambrose, BZT, Francis, Ridley, Redman, Gleeson, Mckenna, Saad id be happy with going forward if we got a high pick in return like a top 12-14 pick
Pick is the last thing i'd take for Hurley...unless the Dees stumped up pick 2 (as is their style) and we could get one of Rowell or Anderson
Id need a player ready to go and filling a need.

Otherwise you are losing an AA defender for a speculative in a draft year that may not be that strong.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The more I think about it, the more what yaco55 said rings true.

Big bodied inside midfielder is probably the second easiest position to fill through the draft (behind a hbf). Identifying the right one is a different story though.

Paying overs for Constable whom is only a slight upgrade on what we have isn't making that much sense. If we identify a talent that would be delisted (ie a Corey Lyons) then that would be ok but paying overs for a slight upgrade would be a poor decision.
We should be drafting cooper Stephens this year who is in the worpel/adams mold. Would happily live trade up on draft night to get him

Of the 3 hed be the last one to go but if i got the right price id let him go.

Ambrose, BZT, Francis, Ridley, Redman, Gleeson, Mckenna, Saad id be happy with going forward if we got a high pick in return like a top 12-14 pick

Say it is pick 12, you’d trade Hurley for Zak Butters? I know I sure as hell wouldn’t.

Age and experience profile of the list is already cactus, all trading Hurley does is put us further back in the pack. I’m looking at getting more ready to go AFL bodies in, not doing the opposite and loading up on more kids.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Say it is pick 12, you’d trade Hurley for Zak Butters? I know I sure as hell wouldn’t.

Age and experience profile of the list is already cactus, all trading Hurley does is put us further back in the pack. I’m looking at getting more ready to go AFL bodies in, not doing the opposite and loading up on more kids.

Zak Butters probably isnt exactly what were crying out for.

But 12-15 years of Zak butters out does 2 years of Hurley

We’re not getting Grundy, don’t waste the time on scenarios where we do, because short of Collingwood being removed from the AFL he’s not going to another VIC team.
Beerfish kick start that gambling rumour again.

Biggest need is another ruckman. Can’t have our whole season resting on the health of TBC, who a calf injury waiting to happen.

Draper may be the answer but he’s coming off an ACL.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Bennell Gumbleton has apparently had surgery on his calf back that has uncovered some nerve damage and scar tissue that had not been previously identified.

It’s a risk I’m willing to take, and I’m normally pretty white bread with this kind of stuff
:'(

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Biggest need is another ruckman. Can’t have our whole season resting on the health of TBC, who a calf injury waiting to happen.

Draper may be the answer but he’s coming off an ACL.
I’d like us to pick up the best delisted/cheapest trade ruck to replace Clarke. Then draft another developing ruck. Having 4 on the list isn’t to many

I’d like us to pick up the best delisted/cheapest trade ruck to replace Clarke. Then draft another developing ruck. Having 4 on the list isn’t to many

Draper did his knee in May so not sure how ready he’ll be for start of next season. I’d imagine heavy 200cm ruckmen would take a while to get back to some form. Plus we’re not even sure Draper can play AFL.

TBC seems to always have some problem pre season so if he misses first cooper it could cost us again.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Plenty on offer - Archie Smith, Tom Nicholls, Scott Jones, Darcy Cameron.
Others may be easy to grab too if they think #1 spot is up for grabs sooner, rather than later - Preuss, Sean Darcy, Soldo.
Then there are the guys who may look at our stocks and think they could grab the #1 spot and make a difference in the teams prospects - Ryder, Lycett, Jacobs, Sinclair, Goldstein

Bold are the out of contract options

We shouldn't be shy in signing someone who may relegate TBC to backup and keep Draper fighting for an AFL berth.

If i look at that list, Sean Darcy and Ivan Soldo stand out. Both are young. Both are AFL experienced. Both are sitting behind others in the pecking order.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ballsy strategy (given we could well end up a bottom 6 club next year)

Apply to AFL to trade another 1st. List profile of under 24yo in our best 22 should mean we get approval

-Find homes for Langford, Laverde, Zaka and co with whatever late 2nd/early 3rd rd picks we can get.

-2020 1st plus 2019 pick load up to GWS (Cover the Green bid) for our 2019 1st and their 2019 1st.
Gauge interest in TBC whilst they can still make a tilt to keep the pick count down

-Send GWS 1st rd pick to Adelaide for Brad Crouch
-Use our 1st rd pick on the best mid
-Find a #1 ruck

#1 Ruck - Crouch - Shiel
Merrett - Parish - Heppell

Back up mids - Smith, Clarke, McGrath
Plus Stringer as the cameo bull

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
We need to start recruiting guys with that competitive streak in their game and that are willing to run both ways and put the team before themself.

We have no white line fever guys outside of Dev Smith and Connor Mckenna. Too many nice guys that want to look good getting 30 disp but getting murdered the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back