Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's still a good ruckman. He has been an outstanding ruckman. It would obviously be better if we could bring in another young ruckman, but if we could do that and replace Clarke with Ryder, I think it would be a win-win. Cost might be the issue.

So Ryder’s kid is now ok after the drugzz and all?

How quickly people forget this guy and his manager dropped a bombshell about wanting out the week of our last final, refused to go anywhere but Port, had his training programme in place before any deal was done and basically put us over a barrel.

Sorry Paddy, you wanted Port and all the success they were going to achieve, how’s that going for you?

I’m pretty sure many of players won’t have him back.

There’s other ruck options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Ryder’s kid is now ok after the drugzz and all?

How quickly people forget this guy and his manager dropped a bombshell about wanting out the week of our last final, refused to go anywhere but Port, had his training programme in place before any deal was done and basically put us over a barrel.

Sorry Paddy, you wanted Port and all the success they were going to achieve, how’s that going for you?

I’m pretty sure many of players won’t have him back.

There’s other ruck options.

Have you forgot what the club did to him?

Give the guy a break, you can’t blame anyone for wanting to leave.

Anyway if he is the best gettable option for next 2 years we should give it serious thought.

Have you forgot what the club did to him?

Give the guy a break, you can’t blame anyone for wanting to leave.

Anyway if he is the best gettable option for next 2 years we should give it serious thought.
By all reports, the ASAGA was not the primary reason he (or rather Mrs Ryder) wanted out of Essendon

If Ryder wants in let bygones be bygones.

Even though he kicked the club when it was down because of his own failings if we'll take him back so be it.

I'm concerned that his form is very average for the likely cost.

It also suggests TBC is cooked or at least that we believe he is. You'd think our cap would reflect the presence of 3 number 1 rucks if he were to join.

The concern for me is that Port and Paddy’s management would probably assess his worth as ‘All Australian Ruckman Paddy Ryder’ and not ‘31 year old spent force and battling for his spot in a side that’s not in finals contention Paddy Ryder’.

It’s all contingent on the contract he wants and the role he’s willing to play.

I’d be happy to offer him that extra year of security for slightly less annual pay, because that’s often the sticking point with guys over 30. Worst comes to worst he breaks down and we are able to look at replacements in the mid season draft.

The concern for me is that Port and Paddy’s management would probably assess his worth as ‘All Australian Ruckman Paddy Ryder’ and not ‘31 year old spent force and battling for his spot in a side that’s not in finals contention Paddy Ryder’.

I’d be happy to offer him that extra year of security for slightly less annual pay, because that’s often the sticking point with guys over 30. Worst comes to worst he breaks down and we are able to look at replacements in the mid season draft.
They've only offered him a year and he hasn't played as many games as he could have this season. If he's that good they should do more to keep him :shrug:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have offered him stuff all. I wouldn’t say the ball is in his court, he’ll have to take whatever may be offered by a club wanting a washed up 32yr old.
And I hope it’s not us.

A 2 year deal for a 31 year old ruckman when we already have one mature (semi-reliable) ruckman, an upcoming star and Zac Clarke. I honestly don't think he's worth the extra cap space. That is better spent elsewhere for us tbh.

Would rather Ceglar.

In all honesty I wouldn't be opposed to putting a 3 year deal in front of Todd Goldstein and see if he'll bite. He's arguably the in form ruckman of the comp right now running out the season as well as Grundy or Gawn. He's played 2 full seasons in a row now. Would love to see what our mids could do with a consistent reliable ruck.

His achillies is the concern. I'd only be giving him a year. We really just need someone for next year then Draper takes over. Jacobs is more resilient I think. Pruest seems like a better option too

I've floated the idea of trading Hurley and I will never do it again. 1000 hail mary's for me to repent.
He did look very good Saturday night. I still think if the offer of a Hopper, Taranto, Kelly or such became available i would consider it. We'd lose our best defender, but pick up an elite mid in the process. At the very least if there is one area we can afford to lose our best, it's the backline. Which is why the talk around Daniher, Raz and Tippa has me uneasy.
Would rather Ceglar.

In all honesty I wouldn't be opposed to putting a 3 year deal in front of Todd Goldstein and see if he'll bite. He's arguably the in form ruckman of the comp right now running out the season as well as Grundy or Gawn. He's played 2 full seasons in a row now. Would love to see what our mids could do with a consistent reliable ruck.
Was thinking about this last night. If the idea is that we need a #1 while Draper has 2020 off recovering, Goldstein is a good option

It would also be funny watching him tear up North in the ruck :)
2020 : Goldstein, TBC, Draper
2021 : Goldstein, Draper, ? - can't see TBC still being around this long
2022 : Draper, Goldstein, ?

On principle, I wouldn't let Ryder within a bull's roar of the club. He chose out, not caring about sabotaging our finals in the timing of his announcement, citing family reasons but getting the geography wrong by about 2000km, citing the saga despite signing a new contract after he knew all there was to know about it. and then, on top of all that, he refused to go to any club other than Port Adelaide, thus giving them the bargaining power to screw us in the trade eventhough he was contracted (unlike Carlisle in similar circumstances who said he would go elsewhere if St. Kilda did not offer a reasonable trade).
Ryder exemplifies the ruthless bashing of our club at that time, by one of its own.
Time heals all? I don't think so. He can go and do something severely painful to his own nether region as far as I am concerned.

Forgetting principle, and on purely football/list management considerations, from next year on we are on a transition from Bellcho to Draper, depending on Bellcho's rate of decline and fitness, and Draper' recovery from the ACL. Anyone else is backup only. That back up should not be a 32yo who can barely string a few games together and is living off the reputation of his past ability. I would rather a young VFL wannabee, a Ceglar/Jacobs/Abbott etc type, or Bowman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back