Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't get the fascination with Cutler. He's a winger who can't deliver by foot. Redman is the guy we want on the wing delivering i50. If we wind up with SPP and Cutler as part of our ball movement we are in for a world of frustration.
I don't get this knock on his kicking. Is it Whitfield/Goddard-esque? No, but it's still pretty good. He rates above average for KE/DE across his career. He's a big bodied winger who can mark - and won't cost much. What's not to like? He'll do the job of Zaharakis for half the money with twice the intensity. Win-win.

RE Brad Crouch; Seriously? 900k~ for that bloke? Some of you have lost the plot. He's a good player but geez - that's marquee player money. Not to mention he's injury prone, albeit a clean run this year. If we want a legit inside beast then we're better off waiting/trading for the one we want. Buy it right, or buy it twice.

If we're throwing that money around - I'd feel much more comfortable offering it to a genuine star of the game. Grundy/Whitfield/Cameron etc. Not Brad-frigging-Crouch.

TBC does nothing but take the tap and then proceed to wander around in slow motion watching the game.

Richmond won two flags without a decent ruck because they have a brigade of tough infantry foot soldiers who will bust their gut all day long with relentless controlled aggression and have a solid back 6 who work as a unit and Dusty and an A grade competitive tall forward in JR and then Lynch this year and a team structure and system that is followed to the letter by everyone on the field ....ffs.

We have none of the above that even remotely compares.

Cox is a spud by the way.

Wake up to reality son.

So you admitted it's not about a ruck but about the foot soldiers around them. Isn't that what I was suggesting we didn't have?

A spud who would be 2nd in our goal kicking and thats worse case scenario

Soldos a spud aswell. We need a backup ruck and tall forward. He ticks both boxes

If Joe goes I think we’d almost prefer 2020 picks.

As you say we are not replacing him this period at all. There’s nobody available.

Next year might be different and draft picks will be good trade ammo.

Even if he goes next year, we’ll get the compo picks.

The only thing we’ll get with picks this year is draftees. That’s fine, but they’re not replacing Daniher.

I’d prefer 5 & next year’s first to 5 & 9.

5 and next year's first ain't happening though

9 and next year's maybe but doubtful aswell

I'll be happy to say I got it wrong but 5 isn't being involved with another first for JoeD

I don't get this knock on his kicking. Is it Whitfield/Goddard-esque? No, but it's still pretty good. He rates above average for KE/DE across his career. He's a big bodied winger who can mark - and won't cost much. What's not to like? He'll do the job of Zaharakis for half the money with twice the intensity. Win-win.

RE Brad Crouch; Seriously? 900k~ for that bloke? Some of you have lost the plot. He's a good player but geez - that's marquee player money. Not to mention he's injury prone, albeit a clean run this year. If we want a legit inside beast then we're better off waiting/trading for the one we want. Buy it right, or buy it twice.

If we're throwing that money around - I'd feel much more comfortable offering it to a genuine star of the game. Grundy/Whitfield/Cameron etc. Not Brad-frigging-Crouch.

Grundy and Cameron aren't playing for the red and black on 900k. Try 1.3 mill

Grundy and Cameron aren't playing for the red and black on 900k. Try 1.3 mill
Cameron - yeah, most likely. But I've read Grundy's salary between 850k-1m per season - however it's the length of the contract which the Pies are hesitant on (7 years).

But even so; I'd argue that those players are literally the best in their positions, and therefore worth the salary. Where does Brad Crouch rank in the midfield bracket - top 40?

I'll go but take this for what it is

3 way deal being considered at the moment. GWS the only ones unsure
--------- --------------- --------------- --------------- -----------
GWS IN: Pick 5 + (No Bid on Green at Pick 6)
GWS OUT: Pick 6 + Future 2nd

Sydney IN: Joe Daniher
Sydney OUT: Pick 5 + 25

Essendon IN: Pick 6, Pick 25 and GWS Future 2nd
Essendon OUT: Joe Daniher
--------------- --------------- --------------- --------------- --------------

GWS think they'll finish Top 4 next year at best it's Pick 32 and believed that could be pushed back by GC compo (Again) and so many academy buy ups. They're also unsure if a bid will come inside the top 4 if the picks stay the same. If not at worse they pay pick 7 price and also don't believe Freo bother bidding (GWS very keen on these Country Victorian kids). Young and Serong ect
You do realise this deal was floated on twitter from a fake Sam McClure troll account ?

Lions posters I've talked with aren't too upset with the prospect of him going. Kicks long but rarely to advantage. Has a 60m kick, which is great, but many of those are appatently bombs into the forwardline to no one in particular. Maybe his DE numbers come from short kicks. The other knock on him is his apparent unwillingness to play team defence - Lions posters see him as a weak link in that respect. So we get him and Rutten gets the best out of him defensively while Caracella gets the best out of that long kick, or Cutler frustrates the hell out of us with his bombs to noone and one way running. Not afraid to hit the contest though. Doesn't bode well when we know our coaches are system driven.

Re: Brad Crouch, yeah I don't know what he's worth but it's not a mill. I'm not happy with taking any player with an OP issue. As Ant has mentioned, once a player has had it they manage it for the duration of their career and they're never the same as they were.

Any chance with saints splitting pick 6 and annoying Freo... that if we get 5 and 9 for Joey which I don't think we will.
Use one of those picks and a 2nd rounder for Hill?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hill gets more of the ball but Cutler's harder at the contest. Cutler's considerably taller for a wing and would be cheaper than Hill. His price is inflated because he finds it so much. Not sure he uses it that well though.

“Aiden Bonar obviously has been at the club for two years and has two years to go on his contract,” he told SEN Breakfast.
“He has expressed a little bit of interest in maybe around opportunity and if something presented at the right price for us to maybe look at coming home to Melbourne.
“He had a really good first year in the system playing as an inside midfielder and a little bit more this year as a forward.
“He’s probably looking at the inside midfield column of our list and who we brought in through the draft last year and potentially Tom Green this year, it is a bit of a logjam, especially with Callan Ward and Stephen Coniglio who didn’t play on Grand Final day.”
McCartney said a second round pick somewhere in the 20s would likely get a deal done for the 20-year-old.
“For where we picked him up, I’d think that mid-second-round pick, inside pick 30, if there was some interest there, but we haven’t had anyone really come to us yet and we’re not actively out there driving it so we’ll just see what unfolds there,” he said.

Why haven't we beaten the door down?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Aiden Bonar obviously has been at the club for two years and has two years to go on his contract,” he told SEN Breakfast.
“He has expressed a little bit of interest in maybe around opportunity and if something presented at the right price for us to maybe look at coming home to Melbourne.
“He had a really good first year in the system playing as an inside midfielder and a little bit more this year as a forward.
“He’s probably looking at the inside midfield column of our list and who we brought in through the draft last year and potentially Tom Green this year, it is a bit of a logjam, especially with Callan Ward and Stephen Coniglio who didn’t play on Grand Final day.”
McCartney said a second round pick somewhere in the 20s would likely get a deal done for the 20-year-old.
“For where we picked him up, I’d think that mid-second-round pick, inside pick 30, if there was some interest there, but we haven’t had anyone really come to us yet and we’re not actively out there driving it so we’ll just see what unfolds there,” he said.

GWS seem to nail their picks more often than not. I'm keen. Sounds more likely to be what we wanted Langford and Laverde to become.

Is Bonar actually any good. They clearly have him behind Caldwell and Hately already. Seems like a bit of a tweener forward/mid and god knows we have enough of them in Langers, Lav, Begley, Stringer.

Is Bonar actually any good. They clearly have him behind Caldwell and Hately already. Seems like a bit of a tweener forward/mid and god knows we have enough of them in Langers, Lav, Begley, Stringer.

They don't generally lose players they want to keep do they. The fact they are shopping him may be a hint.

And moving him fwd, was that for opportunities or cause he wasn't performing inside?

Does a 2nd rate gws inside mid still beat what we have? Probably

He did go on to mention that they are waiting on bigger players to move before someone zero's in a few other trades.

Im taking that as us waiting on the JD deal to go down for 1 of our 2nd round picks.

I’d be frustrated if we didn’t put our hand up.

With Fantasia staying and Sydney probably driving the Daniher trade, I think we have more time to look at Bonar and others.

GWS seem to nail their picks more often than not. I'm keen. Sounds more likely to be what we wanted Langford and Laverde to become.
They do but they also have a decent track record of offloading their kids while they have some value.

Boyd, O'Rourke, Jaksch, Tyson, Pickett, Hampton, Kennedy

All those players they have got adequate compensation for and clearly won their respective trades. I like Bonar but if GWS are happy to trade him I'd be hearing alarm bells

"Spillage"

The other thing with Bonar, i mean he could be a flop but you have a look at Taranto this year after being given more opportunity because of Shiel trade, he wins a B&F (And before someone points out, yes im away he was still playing seniors last year blah blah blah).

The other is Setterfield who got better as the year went on last year.

On other hand he might end up a Matthew Kennedy from Carlton who really hasn't lived up to pre-draft expectations

I think we take a chance. Its worth a crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back