Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we were debating? No need to be so dismissive. If you want to throw out trade hypotheticals involving Joe leaving go right ahead. This is the thread for it.

I'm more curious about the fact that you seem to think it could actually happen and that there is 'something' to Grogan Mcclure's clickbaitery despite Joe emphatically stating the contrary very recently. That's all.
okey

I can't see Joe leaving. He comes across as a one club guy. Would be nieve to suggest any player isn't capable of moving at some point given the right circumstances too.

Few things about Beams, he had already left once.

Second thing is that he's troubled off field. Gibbs is too.

I'm far from convinced Daniher is happy and I dont believe these decisions are accurately assessed with the benefit of hindsight as they are. No one talks about all the players who stay (and there are still s**t loads more players who stay despite being offered massive contracts and not announcing intentions earlier, etc).

Just because Daniher asks for a trade in October doesnt mean he was lying in July when he said he wanted to stay.

I bet hardly a day passes without the possibility entering his mind.

I think he'll stay because he has always been a Bomber and if there is one thing the blub can sell at the moment, it is how good we will be.

There is a lot about his last 2 seasons which does not add up and it certainly raises the possibility all is not well off field which means he's probably a real chance of asking to leave.

I still think the publicity around Sydney was kicked off by his manager. The guy has been 2 years out so some doubts about his career. With just one year remaining on contract he and his management would be keen to get a long term deal sooner rather than later.

I still think the publicity around Sydney was kicked off by his manager. The guy has been 2 years out so some doubts about his career. With just one year remaining on contract he and his management would be keen to get a long term deal sooner rather than later.

Well it was initially reported that Joe and Harley had a coffee at a cafe, we now know it was at Harley's house.

Just that tells me that the story needed to be leaked to the media, at a cafe he's easily spotted at Toms house...

Not as laughable as thinking he's lying.

No one is saying he is lying, at this stage he is committed to Essendon...Until Sydney up the offer...

If Cripps was having Coffee with Dan Richardson people would be convinced he was coming to us no matter what he said in the media.

Family has history at the swans, Joe doesn't like the AFL fishbowl in Melbourne, has coffee with Sydney official.

Don't be so naive to think there is nothing in this. Surely you know how this works?

For what its worth I don't think he will go but I can guarantee you Sydney will be trying to get him and I can guarantee Joe and his manager would look at offers.

No one is saying he is lying, at this stage he is committed to Essendon...Until Sydney up the offer
That's exactly what some people are saying. Guy didn't just say 'I'm staying'. He was harangued for a good 5 minutes by 3 different people on the subject and he couldn't have been any more emphatic so if people think there's something in a story about him leaving then they must think he's lying while he waits for more money. I don't think he'll leave for any amount of money.

I never said there's no offer. I never said he wouldn't look at offers if they are there. I never said people can't discuss trade scenarios involving him if that floats your boat. I never tried to deny he has family history with Sydney and I absolutely wouldn't think Cripps was coming to us if he was spotted having coffee with Richardson and would think people who did are crazy.

You can disagree all you want. I'll be the first to put my hand up if I'm wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to be practical & look at all possibilities this trade period while joe has currency.

Let’s be honest, there has to be doubt surrounding his long term fitness. If two early 1st round picks landed in our lap we’d be silly not to consider it.

We're in win now mode, if we think Joe is coming back next year and kicking 50+ we cannot trade him.

... Also I'd be shocked if any team is putting two early firsts on the table for someone who's been more or less out of the game for two years due to injuries that may not ever resolve.

Sounds like he's looking for a contract extension. I'd be surprised if he didn't test the field and see what's out there, they can use that as leverage to make sure Essendon is being fair to him.

I doubt he re-signs until he's played some games pain free next year. At this stage his value can't get any worse, we'd be better to lose him next year as a free agent than to trade him out now having barely played for two years. Better yet, re-sign when the price is right.

Essendon, Joe Daniher plan contract extension talks as Bombers downplay Harley chat

Essendon and Joe Daniher are open to exploring a contract extension in the coming months which could see the star forward relinquish his restricted free agency rights to remain a Bomber.

Daniher remains contracted to the Bombers until the end of 2020, but a meeting with Sydney chief executive Tom Harley last week heightened speculation the 25-year-old could be a target for the Swans.

Harley and the Bombers were quick to point out there was “nothing sinister” in the meeting.

Essendon was told of the catch-up with Harley and understands it was a case of Daniher meeting with a long-time mentor while he was in Sydney to see his surgeon.

The Herald Sun can reveal Essendon has been in regular dialogue with Daniher’s management company, TLA Australia.

Both parties are keen to have further discussions before the end of the year to potentially alleviate further speculation headed into next season.

Daniher has played only 11 games since his 2017 All-Australian season, due to an ongoing osteitis pubis injury, which required surgery earlier this season.

He will commence running in the next fortnight, and while he won’t play again this season, he has renewed confidence in his body after a frustrating past few seasons.

Daniher told ABC Grandstand on the weekend he “felt terrific … I’m about eight-and-a-half weeks post-surgery and will hopefully start running in the next fortnight or so.”

“I am feeling better. I’ve certainly had an improvement already. I won’t have an answer until I really get going with my hard training again, but all the signs look positive at the moment.

“I’m happy to have a bit of clear air and know we can keep moving forward and set myself up for a lovely, long pre-season.”

Joe has had two years ruined by injury and is an RFA next year.

It would be silly for him to request a trade this season when his new contract would be lesser than say 12 months from now after a full year of football.

Plus as an RFA he can sign wherever he wants.

All that said - I would be surprised if he left.

Last edited:
Yikes, where was that reported?
Daniher still has a full season to go on the $2.7 million three-year-contract he signed in 2017, taking him through to the end of the 2020 season.

Daniher kicked 65 goals back in 2017, the same year he signed a three-year contract extension with Essendon, reportedly around $900,000 a season.

Older article here.
Fairfax Media understands that the Bombers and Daniher's management have all but agreed to terms on a deal worth well over $2 million.

At the time Joey was tracking to be the next big thing before OP showed it's ugly head.

Last edited:
So Ryder or Sauce?

Neither, lets draft a young fella on less cash instead? Sick of old has beens getting there retirement checks at Essendon, if we happen to draft the next grundy or max Gawn more envy to us. Dodoro hasn't had much luck picking pure mids but I'll back him and the recruiting team to draft another talented ruckman.

Neither, lets draft a young fella on less cash instead? Sick of old has beens getting there retirement checks at Essendon, if we happen to draft the next grundy or max Gawn more envy to us. Dodoro hasn't had much luck picking pure mids but I'll back him and the recruiting team to draft another talented ruckman.

It's got nothing to do with a retirement check and being the number 1, it is about a guy who is happy enough being a #2 (to TBC) and playing at most, half a dozen games (unless unforeseen circumstances happen to TBC). In this case we'd need him for more than that.

Jacobs and Ryder (31) both look like decent options if they are happy to play second fiddle. Ryder in particular needs to realise he is in a log jam at Alberton. Lycett was brought to the club whilst Ladhams, Frampton (if one does go, may make it easier) and young Sam Hayes are all waiting in the wings.

You'd do both.

There should be 4 genuine ruck options on the list, especially when the number 1 is basically cooked and the apprentice is coming off an ACL.

Bellchambers, Draper, Ryder, kid already on a list/18 yo.

Interesting that Yoda_ has mentioned Sam Hayes. Forgot about that kid. Maybe he'd be worth a go given his level of ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back