Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realise Quinten Lynch had been that effective; helps when the mids are that good.
I agree re: the importance of a solid forward target. Riewoldt and the small forwards have even greater scope now with Tom Lynch there as well.

I've also mentioned that I would like to see Hooker forward while Daniher is an unknown. We were at our best most recently with Daniher, Stewart and Hooker forward IMO. Hooker, McKernan and Stringer goes some way towards replicating that. I'd have Hooker at FF and McKernan at CHF.

Not sure whether Hooker at FF is the solution anymore, he was great in 2017 alongside Daniher but remains to be seen whether he can replicate that 3 years older!

Not sure whether Hooker at FF is the solution anymore, he was great in 2017 alongside Daniher but remains to be seen whether he can replicate that 3 years older!
True enough, but I'd be willing to see what he can do. Gives impetus to get games into BZT or Ridley as well.

Maybe another option is Bellchambers, though hopefully not. Phillips sounds like he's giving himself a very good chance for selection.

EFC have already recruited good quality players through trading in the last two years - Either way JD could be of limited value either through injury or wanting to leave, so I doubt he will be the difference - You can't continually give up first-round draft picks and pray that you win a premiership - Now is the time to hit the draft big time and you select wisely and they will be members of a premiership team in two or three years
I said during the trade period I'd be happy to trade players as I realise we need first rounders to keep the list sustainable.

However, we also currently have the best list we've had in more than a decade. Tbh I'm not fussed if it's Brown or Daniher or whoever. I do think we need a KPF though. Our forwardline needs structure and I'd like to see the current list capitalised on.

On Brown though, if we were to somehow bring him in, we would immediately be a top 4 prospect. It's fiction though.

Looking at our list you can see why they wanted to hold onto Daniher. If he can get fit our only list needs are Hooker replacement and then more top end midfield talent.

Given the core of our list is 27 and under we have time to get the side right.

I would be happy with him one out, as the slow target with good hands and a 75/25 kick. Put Raz an Walla under him and any marks he misses are still dangerous when the ball is at ground level. Hooker and Joe in the same space, makes us super slow.

Yes, many premiership teams have had dominant forwards on their list - How many were actually dominant on Grand Final day and were the difference between winning and losing ? Performing a structural role is important but doesn't necessarily make the difference between winning and losing.

Now you’re changing the goal posts.

Haha get it cos if you changed the goal posts the key forward wouldn’t play well and yeah hahaha

Now you’re changing the goal posts.

Haha get it cos if you changed the goal posts the key forward wouldn’t play well and yeah hahaha

I haven't changed the goal-posts - Premierships can be won without a dominant key forward - And teams that have a dominant key forward, don't always get a big performance from that player in the grand final.

I haven't changed the goal-posts - Premierships can be won without a dominant key forward - And teams that have a dominant key forward, don't always get a big performance from that player in the grand final.

Just gimme the laugh react mate

Yes, many premiership teams have had dominant forwards on their list - How many were actually dominant on Grand Final day and were the difference between winning and losing ? Performing a structural role is important but doesn't necessarily make the difference between winning and losing.
Even if they don't have a day out on GF day, chances are they'll have had a cracker of a year helping the team get there.

Yes a team can win on any given day without their key forward having a big game, if other key players step up.

Though i sure as s**t wouldn't say you don't need one.........Especially considering you need to be at the top during the year to even make the grand final...

Not sure what the statistics are but i would hedge a bet they would be heavily favoured to the team with a good key froward...

Yes a team can win on any given day without their key forward having a big game, if other key players step up.

Though i sure as s**t wouldn't say you don't need one.........Especially considering you need to be at the top during the year to even make the grand final...

Not sure what the statistics are but i would hedge a bet they would be heavily favoured to the team with a good key froward...
...hence why the player is called the 'key' forward.

if we didn't revisit our long term plan after he played 11 games in 2 years id be very worried.
You're missing the point.

In 2017, when he signed the 3 year deal we would have budgeted for a reasonable increase of salary for 2021 despite his new deal being worth over 2 million according to the reports. We would have still budgeted for that as early as 8 months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're missing the point.

In 2017, when he signed the 3 year deal we would have budgeted for a reasonable increase of salary for 2021 despite his new deal being worth over 2 million according to the reports. We would have still budgeted for that as early as 8 months ago.

yeah that's what im saying...

we may have budgeted for it but surely we have a contingency plan if Daniher doesn't deliver or stays injured or doesn't resign etc etc.

id be worried if we have thrown all our eggs in the basket of hoping Daniher gets back to 2017 form.

yeah that's what im saying...

we may have budgeted for it but surely we have a contingency plan if Daniher doesn't deliver or stays injured or doesn't resign etc etc.

id be worried if we have thrown all our eggs in the basket of hoping Daniher gets back to 2017 form.
Of course they would. Every club would. Doesn't change the fact that if he leaves or signs on for less than we budgeted that we'd have plenty of money in the kitty.

Have no interest in Brown - Your system is good enough and you can win a premiership without a dominant tall forward.
Tell that to Pies. Lynch picked them they may be premiers currently. Cost them dearly in GF year before. Dominant tall forwards make it easier to run your system.

Tell that to Pies. Lynch picked them they may be premiers currently. Cost them dearly in GF year before. Dominant tall forwards make it easier to run your system.

You are rewriting history. In the 2018 GF the Collingwood key forwards in Cox and Mihocek weren't much inferior to Kennedy and Darling on the day - WC duo 30 possessions and 4 goals, the Collingwood duo 24 possessions and three goals.

You are rewriting history. In the 2018 GF the Collingwood key forwards in Cox and Mihocek weren't much inferior to Kennedy and Darling on the day - WC duo 30 possessions and 4 goals, the Collingwood duo 24 possessions and three goals.
Seemed like it on the day especially second half. Darling had a monster third quarter. Kennedy had about dozen marks. Eagles has double marks inside 50. Eagles defenders had a field day. Cox couldn’t make the team last year and Mihocek didn’t get enough help.

I think we need to use our last list spot on a mature KPD. Hurley, Hooker and Ambrose are all somewhat injury prone with our only reserve KPD being Zerk-Thatcher and I guess Francis.

What did west coast win by?

What did west coast win by?

You add the Mihocek goal assist and you are even - The fact is that the both sides key forwards had similar performances - You want a difference between the two sides and it was Shuey - Probably in the best 4 or 5 GF performances in the last 20 years.

I think we need to use our last list spot on a mature KPD. Hurley, Hooker and Ambrose are all somewhat injury prone with our only reserve KPD being Zerk-Thatcher and I guess Francis.
I think if BZT gets some games this year he starts to develop into our next key defender. It's looking like Francis, BZT and either Redman or Ridley. Not sure how tall Hurley is, but Ridley and Francis are 5 or so cm shorter than Hooker, BZT only two. Maybe we do need another tall back. I'd really like to see the forward line resolved first, and I'm in favour of playing Hooker forward and bringing in BZT for now.

I think if BZT gets some games this year he starts to develop into our next key defender. It's looking like Francis, BZT and either Redman or Ridley. Not sure how tall Hurley is, but Ridley and Francis are 5 or so cm shorter than Hooker, BZT only two. Maybe we do need another tall back. I'd really like to see the forward line resolved first, and I'm in favour of playing Hooker forward and bringing in BZT for now.
Where are you getting your player heights from? Might be worth looking them up - just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back