Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finlayson is a solid 2nd or 3rd tall type guy; pretty mobile, kicks straight, gets to the right spots. Mitch Brown-esque. Not really your primary KPF though, and don't think he's someone we should be chasing.

Wright would suit us well I think, can be that FWD / RUC type that plays FF and covers the resting Ruck minutes. If he's gettable I'd very much hope we're making enquiries.

I think a lot of people assumed Wines would take that next step in output but he never has. Whether it's injury, interest or ability limiting that is hard to say. Given our current midfield balance, the known output of Wines fits us well.

He's pretty much a known quantity; as you said you'll get 25-27 disposals out of him every week, 5 tackles, not many goals, and 5-6 clearances (which puts him around the mark of most good clearance players without being elite). Importantly for us, we wouldn't have to use guys like Shiel and Merrett as first-touch ball winners when they're better suited to that second possession receiver role. A good inside clearance workhorse.

05e5ea17b6.png
For what we’d have to give up he’s definitely not worth it. Can’t justify giving up moreorless 4 first round picks ( they’d want 2 for wines) for 2 mids, its not a responsible way to build a list of you’re aiming to have September success. If we want another mid/ any other player, trying to pluck a free agent would be the way to go. Essendon need to hit the draft again.

For what we’d have to give up he’s definitely not worth it. Can’t justify giving up moreorless 4 first round picks ( they’d want 2 for wines) for 2 mids, its not a responsible way to build a list of you’re aiming to have September success. If we want another mid/ any other player, trying to pluck a free agent would be the way to go. Essendon need to hit the draft again.

Wines isn't worth two firsts anymore, Fantasia plus something (likely a first, possibly a second) would probably have got it done. I doubt Port would push too hard for more given it's a player they've appeared to be dissatisfied with over the past couple of seasons. Plus we don't know if there's going to be adjustments to list sizes or salary cap changes that facilitate more movement this off-season.

Shiel would have been gettable cheaper until they managed to dump Scully and Lobb's salary for example.

I'm wondering if there's a 3 way deal in the offing if Wines wants to come here, Daniher still wants Sydney and they want a Sydney player.

Long shot, but does anyone have a feeling in their loins that we haven't seen the last of Rance? Wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year. If so, like others, we'd be mad to not ask the question.

Daniher to Sydney, Wines to Essendon, Fantasia and 9 to Port, whatever other moving parts were required. Everything points to that being in the works but falling over for some reason.
Can you point out where Fantasia and Wines requested trades?

I doubt Port would push too hard for more given it's a player they've appeared to be dissatisfied with over the past couple of seasons.

That’s not true. He was named captain lol. And he was stood down as captain because Port fans were rioting over the 2 captains thing (and the trade request if true would have made the choice easier)

the club loves him. A lot of fans a little less since the 2 captains / waterskiiing / apparent trade request.

also port have zero cap pressure. We’ve moved on a tonne of highly paid players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's better out of Wright and McKernan isn't really the point to me.

Wright might provide a higher level of performance but considering the $$$ you'd have to pay him and the pick(s) you'd have to give up (he's contracted until the end of 2024), it isn't anywhere near enough of a point of a difference to bother with it.

If he becomes a much better player then it could be a good idea down the track, but he has stagnated since 2016.
the value argument - makes sense

If Fantasia is set on going back to SA then we should also look at Brad Crouch given Adelaide has become a basketcase (it's just that we're probably less of a basketcase?), and not limit ourselves to Wines.

Crouch is out of contract this year as well. He's getable.

Dogs fans seem to think Schache is getable with a second or even third round pick as well.

Last edited:
If Fantasia is set on going back to SA then we should also look at Brad Crouch given Adelaide has become a basketcase (it's just that we're probably less of a basketcase?), and not limit ourselves to Wines.

Crouch is out of contract this year as well. He's getable.

Dogs fans seem to think Schache is getable with a second or even third round pick as well.
Id go Schache (was keen when he moved from Bris to add another S to the offseason)
I think Crouch is getting an offer of 1m a season from the Suns. we can't match that. but if he'd take less to get out of the Crows, i'd be keen. particularly if a FA signing.

Last edited:
Id go Schache (was keen when he moved from Bris to add another S to the offseason)
I think Crouch is getting an offer of 1m a season from the Suns. we can't match that. but if he'd take less to get out of the Crows, i'd be keen. particularly if a FA signing.
I was cool on Schache at first but he seems more and more like a late bloomer we could pick up cheaply.

If GC picked up Crouch now they'd really have a stacked midfield: Swallow, Miller, Greenwood, Ellis, Rowell, Anderson, Crouch, MacPherson. They'd be mad to pay 1m though. He's spent half of his career injured.

There’s no way the suns would pat crouch 1m+ considering his injury history, the position of their list and the potential for the salary cap to come down by 10–15% for the next couple of seasons.

There’s no way the suns would pat crouch 1m+ considering his injury history, the position of their list and the potential for the salary cap to come down by 10–15% for the next couple of seasons.

How Crouch ever thought he was worth $1m is beyond me.

He's a good player. He's not a franchise player.

just going off what was bandied around last year.

How Crouch ever thought he was worth $1m is beyond me.

He's a good player. He's not a franchise player.
Agree - once that figure came out i imagine a lot of clubs moved on, and rightly so.

if anything i'd be look to prise one or both of Hately & Caldwell away from GWS for the money that would be on offer should Daniher leave.
Rather than try find an elite KPF replacement, build a midfield that can provide a decent enough forward line supply to compete.

if anything i'd be look to prise one or both of Hately & Caldwell away from GWS for the money that would be on offer should Daniher leave.
Rather than try find an elite KPF replacement, build a midfield that can provide a decent enough forward line supply to compete.

Wouldn't be opposed to this, GWS bat pretty deep through the middle with Kelly, Cognilio, Ward backed up by Taranto, Hopper, Green who all look likely to end up A grade mids. You think it would be tough for young guys to break in to that side regularly for quite a few years yet, better to come to somewhere like EFC with a thinner midfield where you can press your case.

You only have to look at how Shiel was pushed out of the middle to see the depth they roll with there.

just going off what was bandied around last year.

Agree - once that figure came out i imagine a lot of clubs moved on, and rightly so.

Hately is 99% going to SA if he leaves, and Caldwell is another undersized inside mid who doesn't even dominating NEAFL level, don't we already have enough of those? Nick Shipley is more interesting to me, gets high 20's most weeks, and at 188/92 his size is very nice.

A key forward and a big bodied midfielder are both on my list this year, regardless of what happens with Daniher. Two if he does leave.

Wonder what happens last year if Bruce nominates us and not the Dogs.

Hately is 99% going to SA if he leaves, and Caldwell is another undersized inside mid who doesn't even dominating NEAFL level, don't we already have enough of those? Nick Shipley is more interesting to me, gets high 20's most weeks, and at 188/92 his size is very nice.

A key forward and a big bodied midfielder are both on my list this year, regardless of what happens with Daniher. Two if he does leave.

Wonder what happens last year if Bruce nominates us and not the Dogs.
How is 183cm undersized, I would’ve thought it’s about regular sized for a mid. Undersized would be <180cm.

How is 183cm undersized, I would’ve thought it’s about regular sized for a mid. Undersized would be <180cm.
183/82 is basically the average size of our midfielders, whereas (going mostly off memory) West Coast is around 186/87, Collingwood, Bulldogs and GWS similar sizes. We have an undersized midfield as it, how does bringing one that doesn't change our midfield size at all help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back