Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got nothing to do with a retirement check and being the number 1, it is about a guy who is happy enough being a #2 (to TBC) and playing at most, half a dozen games (unless unforeseen circumstances happen to TBC). In this case we'd need him for more than that.

Jacobs and Ryder (31) both look like decent options if they are happy to play second fiddle. Ryder in particular needs to realise he is in a log jam at Alberton. Lycett was brought to the club whilst Ladhams, Frampton (if one does go, may make it easier) and young Sam Hayes are all waiting in the wings.

Don't think we need to spend any money on guys that are near the end of there careers and generally more likely to be in rehab rather than contributing. Granted Jacobs has had 1 injury this year but at his age and position it's only a matter of time before leg injuries are more prevalent than not.

Would rather our cash go toward a midfield acquisition.

I know I'll be wrong because obviously the powers that be have been circling Ryder and sauce for a reason but I'd rather develop a couple kids than look for band aid solutions.

Are there any promising rucks in the upcoming draft that can drop like Grundy, English etc did?

He also called Gaff to Essendon...

To be fair Gaff seemed especially indecisive so I wouldn’t be surprised if he flip flopped. Even great intel isn’t guaranteed.

Last year I over heard Peter Moore talking to Peter Daicos about how Darcy was going to Sydney and the deal had been agreed in principal. Can’t get much closer to primary info than that and it didn’t happen.

Last edited:
Gaff was ours.
But I've got no news re trade period. Jack Martin wants essendon, but not sure we have the currency

Focus should be firmly on signing our blokes for 2020+

Gaff was ours.
But I've got no news re trade period. Jack Martin wants essendon, but not sure we have the currency

On current output i dont think Jack Martin is worth much more than a 2nd round pick, of which we have two.

Its more the cap situation where I think we will struggle to get him in.

Powell-Pepper apparently on the trade table

I’m not as high on him as others but he’d certainly add something to the midfield group
I like him, always have but we have far too many butchers in the midfield right now. Fills one real need but also adds to another serious issue.

I like him, always have but we have far too many butchers in the midfield right now. Fills one real need but also adds to another serious issue.
Yeah this. If you look at Hawthorn, they're excellent against the top teams because of their superior foot skills. They don't have the midfield power with Mitchell out like some of the other top teams, but they suffocate teams with their precision kicking.

Gaff was ours.

Rubbish, Gaff said himself afterwards that he was close to joining North. You just make stuff up. Shiel was no great revelation as someone else said. Speculate if want but you have no contacts

So in the end pick 9 (which was pushed out to 11) and at worst pick 11 for Sheil and a pick at around 25.

Not bad value in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few things about Beams, he had already left once.

Second thing is that he's troubled off field. Gibbs is too.

I'm far from convinced Daniher is happy and I dont believe these decisions are accurately assessed with the benefit of hindsight as they are. No one talks about all the players who stay (and there are still s**t loads more players who stay despite being offered massive contracts and not announcing intentions earlier, etc).

Just because Daniher asks for a trade in October doesnt mean he was lying in July when he said he wanted to stay.

I bet hardly a day passes without the possibility entering his mind.

I think he'll stay because he has always been a Bomber and if there is one thing the blub can sell at the moment, it is how good we will be.

There is a lot about his last 2 seasons which does not add up and it certainly raises the possibility all is not well off field which means he's probably a real chance of asking to leave.
Were you going for a world record to see how many times you could change your mind in one post?

Gaff was ours.

All I want to know is if we don’t have the currency for Martin how did we have the currency for Gaff last year?

I don't think he was talking about trade costs? I thought he referred to salary cap?
Basically

I imagine when Shiel committed to us we couldnt satisfy both Martin's salary demand and GCS's trade demands. This was confirmed when we had to pull out of the Scully race (due to cap space) even though he was tossing up between us and Hawthorn.

Martin's trade value has probably dropped to somewhere between pick 20-30 (which we can satisfy) but i doubt we will have the cap space this time again to get him

Basically

I imagine when Shiel committed to us we couldnt satisfy both Martin's salary demand and GCS's trade demands. This was confirmed when we had to pull out of the Scully race (due to cap space) even though he was tossing up between us and Hawthorn.

Martin's trade value has probably dropped to somewhere between pick 20-30 (which we can satisfy) but i doubt we will have the cap space this time again to get him

All good but Xavier Menzies said Gaff was ours. How could that be when he’s on 800-900k a year?

All good but Xavier Menzies said Gaff was ours. How could that be when he’s on 800-900k a year?

Gaff met multiple officials and players at efc. He knew and understood his role that he is currently playing at we is our second biggest deficiency behind our ruck stocks.
He felt and believed he would take us to the next level. Let's see Thursday week gaff after the game with the players. Wce revisited the offer. Gaff was very close.

I have a meeting at 11am, or catch-up if you like
I'll have something for you guys hopefully tonight

Powell-Pepper apparently on the trade table

I’m not as high on him as others but he’d certainly add something to the midfield group

Unless his role is to just be an inside mid and pump the ball out to the runners, I am not interested. Ordinary foot skills, and we have Clarke too (average foot skills).

Paddy Ryder to leave Port for Saints or Essendon per Jay Clarke Hearld sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back