Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not for all of us. There was a few of us in the trade camp.
Ok, on a separate point. Would you bring in Ben Brown? And if so, what would you be willing to pay?

Ok, on a separate point. Would you bring in Ben Brown? And if so, what would you be willing to pay?

Interesting. He would be 28 next year so can we also find the midfielder we need that would push us towards top 4. If we got all the trading right like the Saints did last trade period then it would work but I just wonder if we need too many spots filled to make that jump and it would make him a trade for the sake of a trade. Not saying he would not make a difference , as long as Stewart comes back okay and one of the young blokes come along but would he be the answer for a premiership push ?
As for value North would want a first round pick and to be fair he would be worth it as his form has a lot to do with the crap stop start footy they are playing and having no support. Before this year he was a regular 60 goal forward and has had no injury issues.

Interesting. He would be 28 next year so can we also find the midfielder we need that would push us towards top 4. If we got all the trading right like the Saints did last trade period then it would work but I just wonder if we need too many spots filled to make that jump and it would make him a trade for the sake of a trade. Not saying he would not make a difference , as long as Stewart comes back okay and one of the young blokes come along but would he be the answer for a premiership push ?
As for value North would want a first round pick and to be fair he would be worth it as his form has a lot to do with the crap stop start footy they are playing and having no support. Before this year he was a regular 60 goal forward and has had no injury issues.

Brown is worth more to North than anyone would offer in a trade imo. They'd want a first, no one is likely to offer that except a team making a Prelim this year needing a KPF. He's a bit of a one dimensional player (though it's a good one dimension he's got) and would need a side with decent foot-skills to deliver the ball i50.

Richmond and GWS both are set for KPF's currently, Geelong maybe, Collingwood probably the best fit given he'd basically be competing with Mason Cox for a spot, but Collingwood surely have no cap space spare.

If we could somehow nab Brodie and Constable this off-season and take a KPF with our first, plus Brand and Eyre, I'd call that a successful Trade & Draft period.

Brown is worth more to North than anyone would offer in a trade imo. They'd want a first, no one is likely to offer that except a team making a Prelim this year needing a KPF. He's a bit of a one dimensional player (though it's a good one dimension he's got) and would need a side with decent foot-skills to deliver the ball i50.

Richmond and GWS both are set for KPF's currently, Geelong maybe, Collingwood probably the best fit given he'd basically be competing with Mason Cox for a spot, but Collingwood surely have no cap space spare.

If we could somehow nab Brodie and Constable this off-season and take a KPF with our first, plus Brand and Eyre, I'd call that a successful Trade & Draft period.

Brodie and Constable would be too much reliance on questionable talents without pace. One or the other and take a dynamic midfielder with the first pick, hopefully injured Hollands slides amid interstate boys getting games. Eyre, Gown and Jones, Stewart, Daniher, Smack, Stringer is bloated KPF depth as is.

Brodie does not defend. We will not be looking at him under the current coaches.
As for Brown he is worth a fist round pick. Not many KP forwards have kicked 60 3 years in a row like he did before this year and he has had no injuries.

Eyre, Gown and Jones, Stewart, Daniher, Smack, Stringer is bloated KPF depth as is.

Daniher may not be with us by the end of the season, nor has he played a game at AFL level this season.

Smack is 30 at the end of this season, and is a journeyman.

Stewart hasn't played for two years.

Eyre, Gown, Jones combined have played 0 AFL games.

I'd hardly say we have bloated KPF depth.

Brodie and Constable would be too much reliance on questionable talents without pace

I'm not sure we need lightning quick inside midfielders, sure I'd take an explosive clearance beast if we can, but given we'll likely be mid-table, i'm not sure they'll be available. Maybe we'll be lucky.
Brodie does not defend. We will not be looking at him under the current coaches.

Is this a case of does not defend and it's uncoachable, or does not defend it's coachable?

Hindsight’s 20:20
I was firmly in the trade camp. Even if it was 9 and a future first, go after Jenkins hard as a stop gap for Jones and Gown to develop.

Thats 9 and what is likely to be top 2-3 this year.
Dodoro absolutely dun-goofed this one, with the only justification being Joe stays on past this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this a case of does not defend and it's uncoachable, or does not defend it's coachable?

Can not get a game in a young side. Has been the knock on him since he has been there. We do not need slow midfielders who only work one way.

Can not get a game in a young side. Has been the knock on him since he has been there. We do not need slow midfielders who only work one way.

I think he's got a lot of positives, whether a change of clubs convinces him to work both ways would be the question if he was available on the cheap.

I think he's got a lot of positives, whether a change of clubs convinces him to work both ways would be the question if he was available on the cheap.

In and out of the side for 3 seasons and has not had that light bulb moment.
No thanks. We have enough defensive issues as it is without bringing in another bloke who has question marks about two way running.
Also he is s**t truck slow so he would never want to be in the same side as Heppell.

Not for all of us. There was a few of us in the trade camp.

Absolutely should've traded him last year. List managers get too attached to their players. By the end of this season he'll be 3 seasons removed from when he was last fit and firing. He's not gonna have any value come seasons end.

Should Joe not play this year, my assumption is it'll simply come down to an auction for his signature. He'll have no confidence that he actually has a career ahead of him, so will take the highest bid to get himself some cash.

We'll have to decide how much we're willing to spend. Keeping in mind, of course, that he's on a big whack already - clearing that from the cap would put us in a spot to chase a free agent or trade target. Cameron or Dixon are the obvious, though both are odds-on to stay you'd think. Otherwise there's somebody like a Josh Kelly, who is a RFA next year... would GWS be interested in a trade rather than letting him run down.

Daniher may not be with us by the end of the season, nor has he played a game at AFL level this season.

Smack is 30 at the end of this season, and is a journeyman.

Stewart hasn't played for two years.

Eyre, Gown, Jones combined have played 0 AFL games.

I'd hardly say we have bloated KPF depth

All of them are likely to go around again. But even if we lose one or two you can throw in Laverde and Townsend in as pseudo talls...

There is no team in the competition that has 9 players capable of playing a tall forward role on its list. There simply isn’t space for it.

We’ll have 3 talented kids developing already. Even if two are perpetually injured there will be no space to even develop extras at seconds level.

Daniher is the perfect example of the sunk cost fallacy and even fantasia

A sunk cost fallacy refers to a company's continuance of a particular behavior or endeavor because they've already made an investment. Under their logic, continuing with their endeavor will ensure the investment was not wasteful. It's important to note that it's also possible for them to incur additional losses going this route. Here is an example of a sunk cost fallacy:

Any smart club would have taken 9 and run like the dickens for Daniher and a Second for Fantasia

A sunk cost fallacy refers to a company's continuance of a particular behavior or endeavor because they've already made an investment. Under their logic, continuing with their endeavor will ensure the investment was not wasteful. It's important to note that it's also possible for them to incur additional losses going this route. Here is an example of a sunk cost fallacy:

Any smart club would have taken 9 and run like the dickens for Daniher and a Second for Fantasia
60% Daniher isn't being kept around because we paid for 100% Daniher.

He's being kept around because he's a 200cm player who at 60% is apparently 134% of a KPF. That's rare as hell before you get to the 134% part, and worth persisting with, especially in the absence of a suitable replacement.

You should post that in the Daniher thread lol

Assuming your numbers are correct. We would only need Joe to be 75% of his best to be 100% of a KPF.

You have established that McKernan is 70% of a KPF and a 60% Joe is 115% better which sits him at an 80.5% of a KPF.
Under your numbers, a 100% Joe is 134% of a KPF. To get him to 100% of a KPF we would only need Joe to output 75%.

MATH!!!!

Not with free agency hanging about the following year. It wasn’t a simple A or B decision. If he goes this year we likely get a first round pick anyway. Plus 12 months to turn him around.

With all things considered, I still lean toward it being the correct decision.

60% Daniher isn't being kept around because we paid for 100% Daniher.

He's being kept around because he's a 200cm player who at 60% is apparently 134% of a KPF. That's rare as hell before you get to the 134% part, and worth persisting with, especially in the absence of a suitable replacement.
but he hasn't gotten on the park in 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back