Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parish is kept out of the midfield by McGrath, Shiel and Merrett because the four of them are broadly similar. We don't really have anybody in the 22 that does the role which Brodie plays.

At the Suns, Brodie is behind Swallow, Greenwood and probably Bowes. Swallow is perennially underrated, Greenwood is top 6 in the comp for clearances and Bowes would probably get a game for us too.

Could do a lot worse than burn a pick in this years draft on Brodie IMO.
Behind Rowell now as well.
189cm and 89kg makes him similar in size to Hibberd, so he's definitely a big boy. How well does he play though?
I prefer the likes of Brodie, Sier and Constable than Wines. Cheaper and able to be developed.

Just checked the centre bounces last night. There was 20. So 60 starting midfielders

Shiel 17
McGrath 15
Tipungwuti 11
Smith 11
Merrett 4
Parish 2

So there’s our mix. Guys getting squeezed out and can’t get into the centre clearances? That’s because Tippa and Smith are in there a lot.

That’s what to remember I guess when Hibberd can’t get a game in the middle. Or when Parish leaves the club to play in the middle elsewhere.
I want to say that is unbelievable, but it is totally believable. Why can't we play the forwards forward and the mids in the middle. How difficult is that? I understand the need to build sustainability through versatility, but you don't do that by killing the game. It screams incompetence to me.

I want to say that is unbelievable, but it is totally believable. Why can't we play the forwards forward and the mids in the middle. How difficult is that? I understand the need to build sustainability through versatility, but you don't do that by killing the game. It screams incompetence to me.

It seems totally ridiculous. Surely Parish and Merrett should swap places with Tippa and Smith.

Just checked the centre bounces last night. There was 20. So 60 starting midfielders

Shiel 17
McGrath 15
Tipungwuti 11
Smith 11
Merrett 4
Parish 2

So there’s our mix. Guys getting squeezed out and can’t get into the centre clearances? That’s because Tippa and Smith are in there a lot.

That’s what to remember I guess when Hibberd can’t get a game in the middle. Or when Parish leaves the club to play in the middle elsewhere.
And we wonder why we're so up and down. Maybe if we stuck with our core 4-5 natural mids, then we may build some chemistry in the middle. It's a total mess.

Shiel, Clarke, Hibberd, Parish and McGrath should be attending most centre bounces until Stringer gets back. I don't mind having Walla in there late in the game.

It seems totally ridiculous. Surely Parish and Merrett should swap places with Tippa and Smith.
And we wonder why we're so up and down. Maybe if we stuck with our core 4-5 natural mids, then we may build some chemistry in the middle. It's a total mess.

Shiel, Clarke, Hibberd, Parish and McGrath should be attending most centre bounces until Stringer gets back. I don't mind having Walla in there late in the game.
It's diabolical.
We drafted Hibberd to fill the obvious need for a big body inside and release more of Merrett and Shiel, as well as allowing Stringer to stay forwsrd more: we don't.
Clarke tags out numerous of the opposition's best mids, enabling us to string together some impressive wins: we don't do that either.
Parish demonstrates on more than one occasion that when he plays on ball he makes things happen: we don't do that.
Walla demonstrates season after season that he's one of the best small forwards in the game: no, we play him through the middle.
Smith clearly isn't the same player he was two years ago, but we play him in the middle over Parish who we drafted as a mid.
We bring Shiel in thinking he's our big body: no, he's a receiver and distributor.
Cutler comes in as a big body. All well and good but he's not an inside mid.
Zaharakis contributes sweet FA week after week but continues to get kissed on the **** at selection.

Compare us with Port (which makes me crazy with annoyance because I hate Port):
SPP continues to get games because Hinks develops the young players. Even Amon turns it on now.
Wines hits a form slump, Hinks drops him, even though he's VC. Zaharakis lives.

WTF are our coaches doing?
Hibberd got more footy at Williamstown. Clarke, if he'd been nurtured instead of spurned, could now be twice the player he is currently. And he's smart too. It actually makes me mad. Some of the bodies Port has available to get around the ball: Boak, Wines, Ebert, Hartlett, SPP. Look at the size hete, then look at the size of ours. Still Hibbo gets omitted.

I've just about had it, and I consider myself a patient person.

It's diabolical.
We drafted Hibberd to fill the obvious need for a big body inside and release more of Merrett and Shiel, as well as allowing Stringer to stay forwsrd more: we don't.
Clarke tags out numerous of the opposition's best mids, enabling us to string together some impressive wins: we don't do that either.
Parish demonstrates on more than one occasion that when he plays on ball he makes things happen: we don't do that.
Walla demonstrates season after season that he's one of the best small forwards in the game: no, we play him through the middle.
Smith clearly isn't the same player he was two years ago, but we play him in the middle over Parish who we drafted as a mid.
We bring Shiel in thinking he's our big body: no, he's a receiver and distributor.
Cutler comes in as a big body. All well and good but he's not an inside mid.
Zaharakis contributes sweet FA week after week but continues to get kissed on the **** at selection.

Compare us with Port (which makes me crazy with annoyance because I hate Port):
SPP continues to get games because Hinks develops the young players. Even Amon turns it on now.
Wines hits a form slump, Hinks drops him, even though he's VC. Zaharakis lives.

WTF are our coaches doing?
Hibberd got more footy at Williamstown. Clarke, if he'd been nurtured instead of spurned, could now be twice the player he is currently. And he's smart too. It actually makes me mad. Some of the bodies Port has available to get around the ball: Boak, Wines, Ebert, Hartlett, SPP. Look at the size hete, then look at the size of ours. Still Hibbo gets omitted.

I've just about had it, and I consider myself a patient person.

The big Bulldogs midfield beats everybody up too. Except Brisbane are beating them, with Neale and Zorko leading the clearances.

The big Bulldogs midfield beats everybody up too. Except Brisbane are beating them, with Neale and Zorko leading the clearances.
It's not all about size, which may appear like I am contradicting myself. Neale is a natural inside mid who is very strong. About 10 kg heavier than Parish. Give me him over most big bodied mids. If you look at Brisbane's midfield, their big bodies allow for Neale and Zorko to get some separation to clear the ball with purpose. They do the blocking and shepherding then run in waves to provide options down the line. They play as a team.

McGrath goes in to get the ball with 4 opposition players charging at him. No one to block for him. It's no wonder blind kicks have become a feature in his game. Shiel gets tagged out of the game with no one to help him. We play as individuals rather than a team. Clarke and Hibberd may not get 10 clearances each, but it helps players like Shiel and McGrath play to their potential. Both Clarke and Hibberd run both ways and give us a hard edge in contests. It'll help us play as a team.

It's not all about size, which may appear like I am contradicting myself. Neale is a natural inside mid who is very strong. About 10 kg heavier than Parish. Give me him over most big bodied mids. If you look at Brisbane's midfield, their big bodies allow for Neale and Zorko to get some separation to clear the ball with purpose. They do the blocking and shepherding then run in waves to provide options down the line. They play as a team.

McGrath goes in to get the ball with 4 opposition players charging at him. No one to block for him. It's no wonder blind kicks have become a feature in his game. Shiel gets tagged out of the game with no one to help him. We play as individuals rather than a team. Clarke and Hibberd may not get 10 clearances each, but it helps players like Shiel and McGrath play to their potential. Both Clarke and Hibberd run both ways and give us a hard edge in contests. It'll help us play as a team.

Brisbane’s big bodies are overstated. CEY wasn’t there last year and Brisbane were higher ranked in both contested ball and clearances and Berry plays mostly on the wing, significantly behind Zorko, Lyons and Zorko for centre bounce attendances. Their big body is Lyons at 83kg and 6 foot. When you’re hard enough and clean enough you don’t need to be a monster.

Brisbane’s big bodies are overstated. CEY wasn’t there last year and Brisbane were higher ranked in both contested ball and clearances and Berry plays mostly on the wing, significantly behind Zorko, Lyons and Zorko for centre bounce attendances. Their big body is Lyons at 83kg and 6 foot. When you’re hard enough and clean enough you don’t need to be a monster.
Yeah sure big bodies aren't always necessary, but you have to look at the players we have. Lyons and Neale are both natural inside mids. They're both better inside mids than anyone we have on our list. Lyons was averaging almost 14 contested possessions and 7 clearances in his last year at Gold Coast. Neale averaged almost 16 contested possessions and 8 clearances last year. For reference, Watson at his peak averaged 7 clearances and 14 contested possessions. When you have ball winners of that magnitude, you don't really need much support. Despite that, Brisbane still recruited CEY.

Lyons and Neale do their best work in contested situations. Shiel and McGrath do their best work accelerating away from congestion. If Shiel played at Brisbane, he'd be the 3rd mid and a clearance machine receiving all those handballs from their inside mids. With us, he's pretty much tagged out of the game. Instead of playing natural inside mids like Clarke or Hibberd to feed the ball to Shiel, we make Shiel our main source of contested possessions/clearances. Sure Shiel can win his own ball, but relying on him and a first year mid in McGrath to win clearances is a stretch. Hence why I believe we should be providing Shiel and McGrath with support.

Shiel 17
McGrath 15
Tipungwuti 11
Smith 11
Merrett 4
Parish 2

R9

PlayerFantasyTOGCBA
Dylan Shiel5881%19
Andrew McGrath6580%15
Tom Bellchambers2574%13
Darcy Parish6082%9
Devon Smith6480%9
Sam Draper5578%8
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti3386%6
Zach Merrett5879%5

R8

PlayerFantasyTOGCBA
Tom Bellchambers6588%19
Andrew McGrath11885%17
Zach Merrett13874%14
Darcy Parish7382%13
Devon Smith4785%9
Mitchell Hibberd8180%4
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti5888%2
Shaun McKernan4689%1
Will Snelling9288%1

R7

PlayerFantasyTOGCBA
Andrew McGrath7679%19
Andrew Phillips7280%18
Zach Merrett7482%18
Devon Smith7679%15
Darcy Parish6577%13
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti4179%8
Shaun McKernan4582%7
Ned Cahill3180%2

You can find the rest here https://www.afl.com.au/fantasy/news
Cool, didn't know that was a thing. I stay as far away from fantasy footy as I can 😛

Player​
R1
(21)​
R2
(26)​
R4
(18)​
R5
(21)​
R6
(18)​
R7
(25)​
R8
(20)​
R9
(21)​
R10
(80*)​
Tom Bellchambers
19​
25​
15​
19​
13​
Andrew Phillips
20​
16​
18​
Sam Draper
8​
19​
Shaun McKernan
3​
1​
2​
7​
1​
1​
Dylan Shiel
18​
22​
13​
18​
6​
19​
17​
Jake Stringer
15​
14​
10​
17​
Andrew McGrath
12​
20​
13​
17​
15​
19​
17​
15​
15​
Zach Merrett
10​
1​
6​
11​
18​
14​
5​
4​
Darcy Parish
1​
7​
4​
12​
13​
13​
9​
2​
Devon Smith
2​
6​
6​
7​
9​
15​
9​
9​
11​
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
5​
7​
2​
8​
2​
6​
11​
Mitch Hibberd
1​
4​
Will Snelling
1​
Ned Cahill
2​
Kyle Langford
2​
1​
4​
Jacob Townsend
1​

*The total number of centre bounces in the round 10 CBAs article has to be wrong. It should be the total number of goals scored by both teams combined plus one for each bounce that didn't result in a goal (i.e. where the quarter ended without a goal on the siren). R10 was bad but it wasn't 76 goals bad. Should be more like 20.

Shiel 17
McGrath 15
Tipungwuti 11
Smith 11
Merrett 4
Parish 2

That's hilarious, on at least one occasion we had Smith and Tippa in the same centre bounce together. FMD.

I don't mind if Merrett doesn't play at the bounce because he does his best work from the outside but Parish definitely should be taking some of those appearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are no good. Hibberd a toiler, Clarke can’t kick. Neither solve our problems and situation inside the contest.
Hibbo did a damn good job when given midfield minutes vs the crows in the 1st quarter. Everyone looks below their best when played out of position. Which seems to be the EFC MO.
Clarke's kicking is also greatly improved this year. And although he has an odd ball drop, it was never as bad as some VFL watchers on here made it out to be.

I've probably overcooked emphasis on bigger players when what I mean are players who could actually help release the skills of Merrett and Shiel. I'd like both of those players to be able to do damage; Merrett by foot and Shiel to burst out of the centre/stoppages and distribute. If they're being given space by the work of a Clarke or a Hibberd, we'll gain metres so much more easily.

The annoying thing is, we've had opportunity to develop these guys, and because players like Zaharakis have been given a free ride, we're now in a situation where we're still talking about needing a big bodied mid. We don't actually know if Clarke or Hibberd have a higher ceiling or not. We might not actually need to waste our currency to trade one in, but at this stage we actually have no idea. Good job Woosha.

Yeah sure big bodies aren't always necessary, but you have to look at the players we have. Lyons and Neale are both natural inside mids. They're both better inside mids than anyone we have on our list. Lyons was averaging almost 14 contested possessions and 7 clearances in his last year at Gold Coast. Neale averaged almost 16 contested possessions and 8 clearances last year. For reference, Watson at his peak averaged 7 clearances and 14 contested possessions. When you have ball winners of that magnitude, you don't really need much support. Despite that, Brisbane still recruited CEY.

Lyons and Neale do their best work in contested situations. Shiel and McGrath do their best work accelerating away from congestion. If Shiel played at Brisbane, he'd be the 3rd mid and a clearance machine receiving all those handballs from their inside mids. With us, he's pretty much tagged out of the game. Instead of playing natural inside mids like Clarke or Hibberd to feed the ball to Shiel, we make Shiel our main source of contested possessions/clearances. Sure Shiel can win his own ball, but relying on him and a first year mid in McGrath to win clearances is a stretch. Hence why I believe we should be providing Shiel and McGrath with support.
Yep. Spot on. So the question remains, what is the go with this diabolical plan they have?

Cool, didn't know that was a thing. I stay as far away from fantasy footy as I can 😛

Player​
R1
(21)​
R2
(26)​
R4
(18)​
R5
(21)​
R6
(18)​
R7
(25)​
R8
(20)​
R9
(21)​
R10
(80*)​
Tom Bellchambers
19​
25​
15​
19​
13​
Andrew Phillips
20​
16​
18​
Sam Draper
8​
19​
Shaun McKernan
3​
1​
2​
7​
1​
1​
Dylan Shiel
18​
22​
13​
18​
6​
19​
17​
Jake Stringer
15​
14​
10​
17​
Andrew McGrath
12​
20​
13​
17​
15​
19​
17​
15​
15​
Zach Merrett
10​
1​
6​
11​
18​
14​
5​
4​
Darcy Parish
1​
7​
4​
12​
13​
13​
9​
2​
Devon Smith
2​
6​
6​
7​
9​
15​
9​
9​
11​
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
5​
7​
2​
8​
2​
6​
11​
Mitch Hibberd
1​
4​
Will Snelling
1​
Ned Cahill
2​
Kyle Langford
2​
1​
4​
Jacob Townsend
1​

*The total number of centre bounces in the round 10 CBAs article has to be wrong. It should be the total number of goals scored by both teams combined plus one for each bounce that didn't result in a goal (i.e. where the quarter ended without a goal on the siren). R10 was bad but it wasn't 76 goals bad. Should be more like 20.
Parish only 2 last night. Mind boggling stuff.

I know he's no world beater but can anyone think of a reason we didn't take Ellis-Yolman? He's at least capable of playing a role we need filled and he may have a few years of OK footy left in him - possibly more.

I know he's no world beater but can anyone think of a reason we didn't take Ellis-Yolman? He's at least capable of playing a role we need filled and he may have a few years of OK footy left in him - possibly more.
Because Brisbane offered 4 years.

To be fair, I'm not sure he'd offer any more that what a Hibberd, Clarke or even a Begley would, and they're all for some odd reason struggling to get games as it is. Not sure he would've been the answer to our prayers tbh.

To be fair, I'm not sure he'd offer any more that what a Hibberd, Clarke or even a Begley would, and they're all for some odd reason struggling to get games as it is. Not sure he would've been the answer to our prayers tbh.
He’s got more power and burst speed through the hips than those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back