Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jezza has been off all season I wonder if it's just due to the team performing poorly or he's had his head turned by someone.

The whole team has been off, they got absolutely thumped in a Grand final so they had to get ready all off season to climb the mountain again and then COVID hit.

Would be hard mentally for the group to get themselves up every week, which is a shame because they have finally been relatively healthy.

Its all mental with them, they weren't on against us at all and then Cogs got them up and about and they rolled over the top of us. Probably the worst thing that can happen because now they think they can mentally switch on and off and still get the result.

Now they have gotten rolled by the swans it may be the circuit breaker to snap them out of it and steel themselves for the final part of the season. Getting Greene back will help he is the spirit for that team.

Absolutely no to Jack Graham. I don't really rate him as an inside mid. The Richmond system makes him look better than he is.
He plays alongside Prestia, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards and Bolton. He'd struggle in our midfield. He's also 181cm and 82kg. I'd prefer keeping Parish over him.

If GWS don't make finals, we may see a few players leaving. Especially if Leon Cameron is sacked.
They play like they can't be bothered anymore.

Jezza Cameron could be gettable.

Cameron doesn’t do enough for the money he commands

I'm not sure I agree with this, pretty much every KPF taken from GWS has gotten worse after playing with Cameron.

He usually commands a double team when i50, works hard up the ground, and is a prolific goalkicker. This makes the guys around him better than they would otherwise be.

It's the issue we have without Daniher playing really, we're relying on second string and depth guys to play as the number one target.

He is one of the best forwards in the last 10 years. GWS are completely misfiring all over the ground. I wouldn't read too much into his form.
Yeah one of, his best season he ever had was 7 years ago. He’s got the best kicks in the league getting the ball to him, do you really think his output is going to increase say at essendon, with the way we use the ball. To get him out of gws you’d have to pay him 1.3+ over 6-7 years.

Yeah one of, his best season he ever had was 7 years ago. He’s got the best kicks in the league getting the ball to him, do you really think his output is going to increase say at essendon, with the way we use the ball. To get him out of gws you’d have to pay him 1.3+ over 6-7 years.
With the COVID stuff, there's no way he'd receive that type of money. Not even if he stays with GWS.
Obviously if he demands that type of money, then we won't look at him.

GWS haven't always been a good side though. Cameron was good even in their infancy. He averaged 3 goals a game last year. If he was playing for us, we'd improve significantly.

I'm sure we woul have been planning on increasing Daniher's pay packet after this contract when he signed it, why not just offer Cameron that money if Daniher leaves?

But again there's the issue of trade currency, because GWS would be able to match most bids. An ideal world would Daniher going to Gold Coast to get some sort of deal for Peter Wright and a pick.

With the COVID stuff, there's no way he'd receive that type of money. Not even if he stays with GWS.
Obviously if he demands that type of money, then we won't look at him.

GWS haven't always been a good side though. Cameron was good even in their infancy. He averaged 3 goals a game last year. If he was playing for us, we'd improve significantly.
Have you read how the contracts will work. They will he signed as normal, then the discount will be taken depending on how much money is coming out of the game. So you’ll still sign someone say for 1 million and then the player gets 20% or so off depending how much the afl settles on, the contract still says 1 million dollars.
Yes Cameron was good in their infancy, that’s my point, the best season he’s had was in 2013. I wouldn’t say he’s got significantly better as the team has improved. Also his finals record is extremely average, if you’re paying top dollar for a key forward. You want someone like buddy or JJK who can stand up the big moments and win you game off their boot. Cameron doesn’t that enough. Even though he’s been injured, I’d rather go get someone like Charlie curnow than pay Cameron and huge amount of money to try and pry him out of Sydney.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you read how the contracts will work. They will he signed as normal, then the discount will be taken depending on how much money is coming out of the game. So you’ll still sign someone say for 1 million and then the player gets 20% or so off depending how much the afl settles on, the contract still says 1 million dollars.
Yes Cameron was good in their infancy, that’s my point, the best season he’s had was in 2013. I wouldn’t say he’s got significantly better as the team has improved.
I'm quoting his early form to show that he isn't reliant on a strong side to kick goals. Questioning the ability of the reining coleman medalist is strange.

I'm not really across current contract updates tbh, but I don't believe teams will offer over 1.3 million and a 6-7 year deal. Not even GWS.

the best season he’s had was in 2013.

Except that it wasn't.

2019 was a career high in disposals, goals, behinds, scoring shots, clearances and Brownlow votes. Along with being his second best for marks and inside 50.

2013 was a quality year, but it was also a year in which teams wouldn't have even bothered shutting down Cameron given they were getting obliterated most weeks.

I'm quoting his early form to show that he isn't reliant on a strong side to kick goals. Questioning the ability of the reining coleman medalist is strange.

I'm not really across current contract updates tbh, but I don't believe teams will offer over 1.3 million and a 6-7 year deal. Not even GWS.
He’d be getting well over a million a year, long term to stay. Coniglio is on 900 odd for 7 years and Cameron is worth way more than him.
I’m not questioning his talent, he’s a good player. I’m question whether his output stacks up to the price we’d have to pay. In salary cap and most likely 3 first round draft picks.

Last edited:
Lol what?

He kicked 76 goals last year.

Kicked 9 in the last round against the bottom side plus he played finals games. In my opinion kicking 60+ goals as a 20yo in a side which was hardly getting the ball inside 50 and getting smashed every week is much more impressive.
Averaged over 3 goals a game, hasn't done that in any other season.

Also had career highs for disposals and 2nd highest for Marks, Contested marks and inside 50's.

Last year was easily the best season of his career.

In 2013 he was the sole focus point, their top 5 goal kickers was Cameron 62, Devon Smith 16, Jonathan Giles 14, O'hAilpin 13 and Ward/Scully/Shiel on 11. Last year they had other options.

Averaged over 3 goals a game, hasn't done that in any other season.

Also had career highs for disposals and 2nd highest for Marks, Contested marks and inside 50's.

Last year was easily the best season of his career.

In 2013 he was the sole focus point, their top 5 goal kickers was Cameron 62, Devon Smith 16, Jonathan Giles 14, O'hAilpin 13 and Ward/Scully/Shiel on 11. Last year they had other options.
It wasn’t that he was the sole focus they just didn’t get the ball in there a lot. He was unbelievable that year, if they scored 8 goals he probably got 5 of them. How many 2nd year key forwards kick 60+ taking the best defender every week.

It wasn’t that he was the sole focus they just didn’t get the ball in there a lot. He was unbelievable that year, if they scored 8 goals he probably got 5 of them. How many 2nd year key forwards kick 60+ taking the best defender every week.

So your argument is that he's played at a very high level for a very long time?

This isn't Rhys Palmer who peaked at 18.

No my argument is, if he got his first all Australian nod at 20, his 2nd should’ve come a lot sooner than 26.

He's been in the top-10 for goals pretty much every season other than 2014 since 2013.

Not getting an AA spot as a KPF is a bit different to missing out as a midfielder. Franklin has basically had a mortgage on 4 of the 6 years, and they generally only take 2-3 KPF's against around 8 or so midfielders.

In that time you've had massive individual seasons from guys like Nick Reiwoldt, Joe Daniher, Josh Kennedy, Tom Hawkins, Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt to make AA teams. All of whom would be worth $1m p.a. in their prime years (which Cameron is).

If your argument is that making AA at 20, means he should effectively be a generational forward by now following a growth trajectory, then yes, I guess he's underachieved.

Cameron works best as the deepest forward. Give him space and let him work. He is great up the ground too, problem is, he can’t blend both aspects very well in the one game. Due to trying to fit Finlayson and Himmelberg into the side they have him playing up the ground too much atm.

As tall as their forward line is most weeks, Greene is the true key forward. He’s the one that ties the rest of it together.

We don’t have a Green either but maybe our forward line would work well for him if we open it up and let him push up and beat his opponent back. Revert to that counter attack style of 2017.

Though I’d stay away from him. Costs too much and would deluded us to thinking we are close. Give Stewart and Jones a chance and spend elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back