Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we want someone cheap I’d have a look at someone like Stoddart or Ling from swans. Both haven’t had much luck so far but a new club might change all that.
Cedric Cox maybe? Riley Bonner?

Add a small defender to the shopping list. Would love to get someone of the Duggan ilk from west coast.

It seems like an easy spot to fill, but I still put my head in my hands thinking about Henry Slattery. 96 games more than I played but.

It seems like an easy spot to fill, but I still put my head in my hands thinking about Henry Slattery. 96 games more than I played but.
Hank copped a bad wrap on here. He was no superstar but he was okay given that he basically had to play on two players given Dempsey's loose interpretation of the word defender

It might be an easy position to fill, but it’s important for us. If we don’t have the 2nd option saad gets taken out of the game by opposition. Hopefully Mcquillian is almost at the level to debut next year after another preseason into him.

It might be an easy position to fill, but it’s important for us. If we don’t have the 2nd option saad gets taken out of the game by opposition. Hopefully Mcquillian is almost at the level to debut next year after another preseason into him.
Or Mason returns to last year's form

We might not have anyone on that level, but we have 2-3 in the middle that are a level below. We don’t put our good players in positions to succeed by putting supporting pieces around them.

Also, McKenna, a top 10 player on our list just evaporated. Genuine body blow.

We definitely seem to rely on players being individuals, rather than helping Merrett (for example) by putting a bigger body in there and getting some protection for him - like Gold Coast did with Greenwood - we leave Merrett to sort it out himself, play Clarke / Hibberd on a Wing or Forward, and put more small bodies in the middle.

It seems we have one go-to gameplan, that when it's not working, or the opposition can shut down, we have no alternative.

Without the big bodies in the middle we can't grind out clearances, or hold possession with marks, the way the Bulldogs and Geelong do to us.

We might not have anyone on that level, but we have 2-3 in the middle that are a level below. We don’t put our good players in positions to succeed by putting supporting pieces around them.

Also, McKenna, a top 10 player on our list just evaporated. Genuine body blow.
This offseason is a really important point for us. We have already lost one and could lose three of our top 10 talent-wise for far less return than in normal circumstances.

Hasn’t Ling been more a winger? Regardless we need someone, can’t expect saad to play every game and no get injured. If he went down long term/ decides to leave we are in huge trouble.
He can play both same as Stoddart, they give us some good depth at least with their speed and natural flair whether as a small defender or wingman.

There isn’t many standout small defenders in this draft as you know but could see us having a hard look at Lachlan Rankin next year from Oakleigh.

No to slow.
No to under 185 cm.
Not to average skills.
No to anyone who can not run for longer than 5 minutes.
No to anyone who has had a history of injuries.

I absolutely agree with this, although easier said then done. Add nobody over age 25.

In a way I do feel sorry for Dodoro as Knights and Worsfold game plan was run and gun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a good small defender, i want to see him used higher up the ground.
Neither was McKenna really. I think he's good enough to be on a Cripps or Daniels or Castagna type of small but shouldn't be taking the #1 small, that should always be Saad.

That being said I would enquire about Cedric Cox as that running defender

no way we get both for Raz, his stock isnt great at this point
The pair's value would have gone backwards since drafting. Both would be worth an early 3rd round pick at best.

We definitely seem to rely on players being individuals, rather than helping Merrett (for example) by putting a bigger body in there and getting some protection for him - like Gold Coast did with Greenwood - we leave Merrett to sort it out himself, play Clarke / Hibberd on a Wing or Forward, and put more small bodies in the middle.

It seems we have one go-to gameplan, that when it's not working, or the opposition can shut down, we have no alternative.

Without the big bodies in the middle we can't grind out clearances, or hold possession with marks, the way the Bulldogs and Geelong do to us.

Just doesn’t seem to be something we value. When was the last time that you would say the team was greater than the sum of it’s parts? When was the last they consistently worked as a unit. I appreciate that we’ve had basically unprecedented turnover both in players and coaching staff but it doesn’t even look close at the moment.

People bagging us for giving up a lot to get Shiel, Stringer etc into the club are looking in the wrong place and picking the wrong fight.

I'd be a little upset if we weren't chasing Williams now with McKenna departing.
Pretty sure we were named as one of four clubs chasing him in an article about him a week or so ago. But I don't think he'll leave ultimately, why would anyone from regional NSW want to come to Victoria right now? GWS will pay him what he's worth and it'll be a Coniglio thing all over again.

Might get some other decent pieces falling out of that system though.

Willams is made of tissue paper. Hard pass on my end. Considering our injury concerns.
Play Dev Smith back. He’s lost his ability to run both ways. Heppell can go back to. Which is where he started his career.
Why would we play someone who can’t run defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back