Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willams is made of tissue paper. Hard pass on my end. Considering our injury concerns.
Play Dev Smith back. He’s lost his ability to run both ways. Heppell can go back to. Which is where he started his career.

Heppell would be to slow down back these days, if you were the opposition you'd oppose him with your fastest small forward. I dont think he could play on a tall either. Maybe he'd be better in a more stable functional team so we should try to see if that works...trade him.

I'd also cut our losses and trade Shiel, and I was an advocate of getting him but in hindsight with other players it hasnt been a god fit. Maybe we could do a deal with Melbourne who have the opposite issues but similiar results, they have too many inside mids. Or maybe send Shiel to his beloved Blues and we get Mackay, haha pipe dream.

In: players who have heart, give 100% each week and hate losing.

Out: is there a cap on the number of list changes per season?

LOL

But seriously if Essendon had Chris Fagan, Longmire even Ross Lyon as coach would our players be able to have a joke at halftime when 66 points down?

If Rutten wants to have a prolonged career the best thing he can do is a Malcolm Blight to Adelaide and get rid of the senior players that are negatively impacting the group.

I absolutely agree with this, although easier said then done. Add nobody over age 25.

In a way I do feel sorry for Dodoro as Knights and Worsfold game plan was run and gun.
Knights maybe but Worsfold no. He had to deal with what he had and tried to add some defensive aspects to it. Worsfold was very clear at the end of 2017 that that style of game plan was not sustainable.

38 + 2 (cat A rookies) on the cards

Probably late to the conversation with this.

Currently had 41 senior listed + 4 (Cat A) rookies

That means we need to move on 5 (+ McKenna included) off the senior list and 2 rookies moved on.

The out of contract guys still are;

Important guys
Joe Daniher - 1 year
Kyle Langford - 2 years
Andrew McGrath - 3 years
Jordan Ridley - 3 years

Time to move on;
Josh Begley - Delist
Tom Bellchambers - Retire
Jayden Laverde - Delist
Kobe Mutch - Delist

Conor McKena - Retire

If we don't trade a contracted player (looks at Fantasia, Francis, Parish, Daniher) we would then need to find one more player to move on from;

Henry Crauford - (I would go one more year)
Martin Gleeson - (1 year)
Noah Gown - (1 year)
Brayden Ham - (2 years)
Irving Mosquitto - (1 year)
James Stewart - 1 year
to fit the quota suggested of 38 + 2.

Of the rookies, Hibberd has been wasted this year, no point holding onto him if we won't play him. Townesend has not worked out as well as we thought. If we can keep Snelling on the rookie list one more year, that would offset the need to move on a senior listed player to upgrade Will to the senior list.

If we could, then perhaps we downgrade Dylan Clarke and upgrade Snelling who has surprised me this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we're looking for a body on body defender to replace McKenna. He was more dangerous with his pace and agility than being a good one on one defender.
We really only have Saad & Redman who are good at that in defence at the moment.
Ridley is more intercept/distribute
Gleeson is light weight
Hurley is too easily outbodied these days.

Looking to the future:
Ridley Zerk Francis
Saad Brand Redman
7th defender - ?

Big ? on Zerk and Brand still given they're young.
Redman should probably be that 7th defender and we find a starter.
Otherwise it's a mid pushing back.....and i really don't trust any of our mids there other than McGrath.

I think we need to look at another mid-sized, quick rebounding defender, plus some experience in the key posts to give Brand and Zerk cover/coaching

McKenna retiring
Hooker looking done as a defender
Hurley struggling

The one strength we had is starting to look like an area of concern in the near future

I'm mental but I would still keep Laverde, give him 1 year.

I keep thinking back to what ant555 has said, everytime we see the potential of Jayden we get seduced into thinking it's time, finally! but the potential is never fullfilled. Injury after injury is deflating, even for us supporters.

I keep thinking back to what ant555 has said, everytime we see the potential of Jayden we get seduced into thinking it's time, finally! but the potential is never fullfilled. Injury after injury is deflating, even for us supporters.

It's collision based injuries that is getting him now, surely his luck can turn?

Not sure we're looking for a body on body defender to replace McKenna. He was more dangerous with his pace and agility than being a good one on one defender.
We really only have Saad & Redman who are good at that in defence at the moment.
Ridley is more intercept/distribute
Gleeson is light weight
Hurley is too easily outbodied these days.

Looking to the future:
Ridley Zerk Francis
Saad Brand Redman
7th defender - ?

Big ? on Zerk and Brand still given they're young.
Redman should probably be that 7th defender and we find a starter.
Otherwise it's a mid pushing back.....and i really don't trust any of our mids there other than McGrath.

I think we need to look at another mid-sized, quick rebounding defender, plus some experience in the key posts to give Brand and Zerk cover/coaching

McKenna retiring
Hooker looking done as a defender
Hurley struggling

The one strength we had is starting to look like an area of concern in the near future

The good thing about being a hbfér is how easily you can slide an experienced player or a youngster learning there trade. Heppell can spend time there, Zaharakis is contracted and may well be that runner you want. Mutch appears to be playing there in the scrath matches and be another option. Devon Smith has done reasonably well in the past few weeks there as well.

Neither was McKenna really. I think he's good enough to be on a Cripps or Daniels or Castagna type of small but shouldn't be taking the #1 small, that should always be Saad.

That being said I would enquire about Cedric Cox as that running defender
What has happened with Cox? Don't think he has played this year and maybe 1-2 last year. Has the ability but is his attitude up to it?

What has happened with Cox? Don't think he has played this year and maybe 1-2 last year. Has the ability but is his attitude up to it?
Their small defence is stacked. Also he sucks defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back