Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stringer might have been a risk maybe
Fair point, i will concede that.

However the associated risk for Stringer wasnt a prior criminal conviction, and Stringer had a proven history as an AA forward who was 23yo.
Pickett is 27 with no form at AFL level. I suppose the risk was not as much with stringer in regards to character and

Stringer might have been a risk maybe
Given Stringers age, the low price we paid and that he already showed he can be an AFL A-grader I think he was low risk.

I hope w're enquiring into Tom Nicholls from GC. He will be 28 at the start of next year, averaged 41 hitouts and 16 touches a game in the NEAFL. Granted it is just the NEAFL but it's a good age profile, plus he's a free agent.

I have heard the EFC board was required to sign off on the footy departments desire to recruit Marlion Pickett (Richmond). The board I have heard was split and Tanner had the deciding vote and rejected the decision to recruit him... If this is correct, this may well come back to hurt us. He will be an excellent player for Richmond. You have to be bold to win flags. And take some risks. This may end up being one of those moments we look back on and wonder why..
I'm sorry, but finance aside, Tanner snd Campbell should have no business whatsoever in deciding whether a player is appropriate for our group.

I hope w're enquiring into Tom Nicholls from GC. He will be 28 at the start of next year, averaged 41 hitouts and 16 touches a game in the NEAFL. Granted it is just the NEAFL but it's a good age profile, plus he's a free agent.
A big never again to 28+ year old state league rucks please

Was hoping Ceglar would be available, but yes the availability of reliable backup rucks has me worried about a Z Clarke re-signing
I'm glad Hawthorne snapped up that spud for another 3 years. One of the worst list management decisions they've made in the past 12 months or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy Frampton.

Sits behind Draper and Tbell as a ruck back up McKernan as Fwd/2nd ruck
Would take, but most people seem to think he's more forward than ruck. Archie Smith is another that I would have a look at, given he's behind Martin (who is still a gun), McInerney and maybe Ballenden soon as well.

Would take, but most people seem to think he's more forward than ruck. Archie Smith is another that I would have a look at, given he's behind Martin (who is still a gun), McInerney and maybe Ballenden soon as well.
Lions were into Ceglar too so are shopping another ruck (oddly enough, does pose questions of their faith in Smith). So he'd be gettable.

the market isn't great
Perhaps if Daniher does leave, we take a reach on Jackson in the draft.

Lions were into Ceglar too so are shopping another ruck (oddly enough, does pose questions of their faith in Smith). So he'd be gettable.

the market isn't great
Perhaps if Daniher does leave, we take a reach on Jackson in the draft.
We need a competent ruck in his mid 20's, not an 18 year old (especially if we take Bowman).

Thats why I think Frampton would be a good pickup. Can play ruck in a pinch if Draper and TBell both go down or can play as a forward as well within the team with them in the future or if Smack is injured or unavailable.
Also - and I am big on this - we arent sacrificing a third list spot for a pure ruck. Having three rucks on your main list is silly personally, especially with rookies being able to play now without the need for the LTI. Rookie some guy to develop (l imagine Bowman for eg) for the future.

Ballenden is an interesting one, is he a forward or a Ruck?

Thats why I think Frampton would be a good pickup. Can play ruck in a pinch if Draper and TBell both go down or can play as a forward as well within the team with them in the future or if Smack is injured or unavailable.
Also - and I am big on this - we arent sacrificing a third list spot for a pure ruck. Having three rucks on your main list is silly personally, especially with rookies being able to play now without the need for the LTI. Rookie some guy to develop (l imagine Bowman for eg) for the future.

Ballenden is an interesting one, is he a forward or a Ruck?
I'm the opposite, I think it would be silly not to have 3 or 4 rucks on the list at any one point. I don't really care if they're main or rookie list but as long as 4 of the 44 are rucks I don't mind. Ideally you'd be able to find a developing ruck on the Cat B rookie list though.

Ballenden isn't really on my radar. Queensland boy, highly rated by Brisbane and will cost a premium compared to someone like Bowman.

I don't see what AFL qualities Bowman has?
Mobile, good hands, unafraid to get his knees dirty. He's a 19 year old part time footballer competing against grown men most weeks, some of which are professional.

I'm glad Hawthorne snapped up that spud for another 3 years. One of the worst list management decisions they've made in the past 12 months or so.

How do you know Nicholls, a player hardly renowned for his physicality, isnt just another Zac Clarke?

Is it his 41 hit outs a game in a VAFA standard league?

Ceglar, a functional AFL player, is the spud though.

What if Ceglat got 41 hit outs a game playing VFL which he almost certainly would if he wasnt playing AFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back