Friday November 1 - Monday November 11

Wednesday November 13 - 5pm Friday November 22

2019 AFL draft
First round: 7pm - 9.30pm Wednesday November 27

Second round onwards: 7pm - 9.30pm Thursday November 28

2019 AFL preseason and rookie drafts
Thursday November 28

List Lodgements
2pm Thursday October 31 (First Lodgement)

2pm Tuesday November 12 (Second Lodgement)

2pm Monday December 2 (Final Lodgement)

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch
Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Draft order is here (any issues with it post in this thread):

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
-
Its Sam McClure puffing up rubbish to back up his stance that there is some sort of Sydney subterfuge happening to get Joe.

When Tom Harley said it was purely a catcj up with an old mentee? Nah nah Sydney never tell anyone anything

Woosha? What would he know!

Joe himself saying he is committed to Essendon? He hasnt signed on yet! He is only saying that cause he is not OOC till next year!!!!

Its all one big conspiracy if you ask Sam...

Personally i think there actually is something in Sam McClures opinion here. I love Joe and definately want him to stay at the club, but the reality is having a marketable key forward is a core part of Sydneys business strategy. It has been for a very long time - think Lockett, Hall, Tippet, Buddy to name a few that were brought over both for marketing appeal and playing ability. Sydney be starting to think about a buddy replacement and would definitely have Joe's name down as part of that.

This is an external opinion but putting myself in Joe's shoes i would 1. have questions over how his body and injuries have been managed by the club and 2. know that i could get a big time long term contract if i was to move to Sydney (would command a contract like what Buddy is currently on). This would give him stability, financial incentive and a club that has a proven track record with players recruited from other clubs.

I obviously have no inside information (and Sam probably doesnt either) but from an outside looking in there is something there and to be honest if he is strongly considering it then we need to consider it this year while he has more trade value.

Just my thoughts

Personally i think there actually is something in Sam McClures opinion here. I love Joe and definately want him to stay at the club, but the reality is having a marketable key forward is a core part of Sydneys business strategy. It has been for a very long time - think Lockett, Hall, Tippet, Buddy to name a few that were brought over both for marketing appeal and playing ability. Sydney be starting to think about a buddy replacement and would definitely have Joe's name down as part of that.

This is an external opinion but putting myself in Joe's shoes i would 1. have questions over how his body and injuries have been managed by the club and 2. know that i could get a big time long term contract if i was to move to Sydney (would command a contract like what Buddy is currently on). This would give him stability, financial incentive and a club that has a proven track record with players recruited from other clubs.

I obviously have no inside information (and Sam probably doesnt either) but from an outside looking in there is something there and to be honest if he is strongly considering it then we need to consider it this year while he has more trade value.

Just my thoughts
I take it you didn't see his appearance on On the Mark on Fox a couple of weeks ago.

He's not going anywhere.

Mar 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
-
I take it you didn't see his appearance on On the Mark on Fox a couple of weeks ago.

He's not going anywhere.

I did see it, i still maintain the perspective that there is something there. There have been many players who have pledged their loyalty and then left. I am not saying he has made up his mind and is definately leaving but what i am saying is that he would be silly to not consider it. We can sit here and say all of our players are 100% committed and will never leave or we can debate whether there would actually be a case for him leaving.

All i am saying is that there is a clear reason for him to explore that option.

I did see it, i still maintain the perspective that there is something there. There have been many players who have pledged their loyalty and then left. I am not saying he has made up his mind and is definately leaving but what i am saying is that he would be silly to not consider it. We can sit here and say all of our players are 100% committed and will never leave or we can debate whether there would actually be a case for him leaving.

All i am saying is that there is a clear reason for him to explore that option.
Yeah but we're not sitting here saying all our players are committed we're talking about one of them. Joe.

You must think he's a ******* good actor if you saw that appearance and still think there's 'something there'.

Mar 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
-
Yeah but we're not sitting here saying all our players are committed we're talking about one of them. Joe.

You must think he's a ******* good actor if you saw that appearance and still think there's 'something there'.

Look im not really here to argue more to debate. Ill maintain my stance and you maintain yours. good talk

Look im not really here to argue more to debate. Ill maintain my stance and you maintain yours. good talk
I thought we were debating? No need to be so dismissive. If you want to throw out trade hypotheticals involving Joe leaving go right ahead. This is the thread for it.

I'm more curious about the fact that you seem to think it could actually happen and that there is 'something' to Grogan Mcclure's clickbaitery despite Joe emphatically stating the contrary very recently. That's all.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought we were debating? No need to be so dismissive. If you want to throw out trade hypotheticals involving Joe leaving go right ahead. This is the thread for it.

I'm more curious about the fact that you seem to think it could actually happen and that there is 'something' to Grogan Mcclure's clickbaitery despite Joe emphatically stating the contrary very recently. That's all.

Dylan Shiel and beams could not have been more emphatic about staying. So why believe anything these days?

Dylan Shiel and beams could not have been more emphatic about staying. So why believe anything these days?
For everyone one of the ones that go there are a dozen who stay. People only remember the ones that don't.

I don't recall Shiel being emphatic about staying? Did you see Joe on On the Mark? Was he ever that emphatic? And Beams? I doubt Beams has anywhere near the same strength of character as Joe.

I’m sorry, did anyone ever consider the possibility that Shiel would stay this time last year? I know I didn’t
I certainly didn't but I didn't want to go off half cocked either because I don't recall for sure if he ever said he was staying at all let alone how emphatic it was..

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't recall Shiel being emphatic about staying? Did you see Joe on On the Mark? Was he ever that emphatic? And Beams? I doubt Beams has anywhere near the same strength of character as Joe.

Find the recordings of Shiel on SEN when he was on just before Dees vs swans at MCG, I think. It was pretty emphatic when they asked would he leave and he straight down the barrel said no, he loves GWS, had no intentions of leaving.

In today's day in age nothing's emphatic these days, money talks and once that $$$ is thrown out on the table and player manages see that new Saab 900 being dangled for the wife, the player gets talked into leaving.

I'm not saying Joe wants to leave, but what else are players meant to say even if they are thinking of leaving?

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Just my thoughts
Hi Sam 😊

Mar 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
-

No worries, you just didnt actually reference any of my points, rather just raised one interview from Joe.

Fair enough,

I have listened to Joe and although he did come across genuine, the AFL is a business and there have been many players say that they will stay just to opt to leave. I just look at this and go this is a critical part of Sydneys strategy and they will in my opinion move heaven and earth to get a marketable high performing key forward to the club. Just like they did with buddy with what at the time was a compeltely unprecedented deal.

McCure as stated earlier likely has no credible source and is creating headlines however my beleif is that Sydney, towards the end of next year will be looking to recruit a star marquee forward (as history suggests it is a key component of their total club business strategy). I would have thought that Joe meets all of that criteria.

Essendon on the other hand are really pushed for salary cap (the fact that we still have so many key players of the future out of contract this year tells me that). If sydney put in a massive offer to Joe we wont be able to get even close to it. This tells me that he is at risk of leaving.

I am not saying he is gone but i dont share the confidence that most people on this board seem to have that he is 100% staying. I read the situation that its probably more likely he leaves than stays. But seems like thats just me,

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m sorry, did anyone ever consider the possibility that Shiel would stay this time last year? I know I didn’t

No I didn't but that's not the discussion is it, or is it?

Maybe it is on basis doesn't matter what they say you don't believe it?

Bryce Gibbs just signed a 5 year contract and was immediately on trade table, then his manager said it wasn't true? When it was, deal didn't happen for 12 months.

Did anyone believe Beams after his best and fairest speech?

Shache?

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Didn't GWS basically put Shiel up for trade because they needed to free up salary space for Kelly and Coniglio? My understanding was Shiel wasn't expecting to leave.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Didn't GWS basically put Shiel up for trade because they needed to free up salary space for Kelly and Coniglio? My understanding was Shiel wasn't expecting to leave.

It was and wasn't. Initially it was but then after trading lobb and Scully they didn't have to hence they held out for 2 x first rounders.

Find the recordings of Shiel on SEN when he was on just before Dees vs swans at MCG, I think. It was pretty emphatic when they asked would he leave and he straight down the barrel said no, he loves GWS, had no intentions of leaving.

In today's day in age nothing's emphatic these days, money talks and once that $$$ is thrown out on the table and player manages see that new Saab 900 being dangled for the wife, the player gets talked into leaving.

I'm not saying Joe wants to leave, but what else are players meant to say even if they are thinking of leaving?
Nah you find the recordings. It's not like it proves anything anyway. This is about Joe not this player or that player or every other player.

Like I said if people want to believe Joe is a massive liar that's their choice and if people want to discuss hypothetical trades go for it but please don't pretend it's on the basis of some well documented clickbaiter having the inside scoop.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah you find the recordings. It's not like it proves anything anyway. This is about Joe not this player or that player or every other player.

Like I said if people want to believe Joe is a massive liar that's their choice and if people want to discuss hypothetical trades go for it but please don't pretend it's on the basis of some well documented clickbaiter having the inside scoop.
Thank you for articulating what my brain was trying to as I scrolled. Let's deal with the knowns rather than the speculation.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

I'm not finding the recordings, someone else can if they want. I'm not bothered to be proven wrong.

I'm just pointing out not many players are going to say there leaving during a season.its just not in our culture like rugby league for example.

I just agree with bomberstomake8 analysis, where there's smoke there's fire and even if joe is emphatic at the time like Shiel was when he said he was staying maybe things change between those statements and when opposition clubs put godfather like offers in front of player managers faces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back