Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the field that is fine. But some don't enjoy being spotted on the street, Hird perhaps as an example, loved the big stage, performed best there. But didn't really seem to enjoy the outside publicity.
Especially when you're ducking into a cubicle for a few quiet nose beers and every campaigner in the bar is like OMG ITS JOE DANIHER!!1!

Oct 4, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
We will be better off next year whether we keep Joe or not (as long as we use the picks we get for him to trade in known AFL talent). A lot gets made of the other top teams’ injuries this year but as posted below no team in the finals took a hit even close to what we did this year on top end talent. Even with those numbers we had maybe 1-2 games where joe looked to be going at a decent level which is even more telling. Our major needs are a ball movement coach (Caracella covers this) and a top quality high performance coach. Of course the list has gaps but every list does. When you lose players through injury especially your best players you just create more gaps that cannot be filled...

Last 2 BNF Winners for finals teams (with percentage games played for the 2019 season in brackets)

Geelong (94%)
- Dangerfield
- Blicavs
Brisbane (96% includes 2018 runner up)
- Zorko
- Zorko
Richmond (65%)
- Martin
- Riewoldt
Collingwood (94%)
- Sidebottom
- Sidebottom/Grundy
West Coast (96% includes 2018 runner up)
- Yeo
- Yeo
GWS (65%)
- Kelly
- Whitfield
Western Bulldogs (96%)
- Bontempelli
- Hunter
Essendon (24%)
- Daniher
- Smith

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
We will be better off next year whether we keep Joe or not (as long as we use the picks we get for him to trade in known AFL talent). A lot gets made of the other top teams’ injuries this year but as posted below no team in the finals took a hit even close to what we did this year on top end talent. Even with those numbers we had maybe 1-2 games where joe looked to be going at a decent level which is even more telling. Our major needs are a ball movement coach (Caracella covers this) and a top quality high performance coach. Of course the list has gaps but every list does. When you lose players through injury especially your best players you just create more gaps that cannot be filled...

Last 2 BNF Winners for finals teams (with percentage games played for the 2019 season in brackets)

Geelong (94%)
- Dangerfield
- Blicavs
Brisbane (96% includes 2018 runner up)
- Zorko
- Zorko
Richmond (65%)
- Martin
- Riewoldt
Collingwood (94%)
- Sidebottom
- Sidebottom/Grundy
West Coast (96% includes 2018 runner up)
- Yeo
- Yeo
GWS (65%)
- Kelly
- Whitfield
Western Bulldogs (96%)
- Bontempelli
- Hunter
Essendon (24%)
- Daniher
- Smith

HaHa some idiot called into SEN the other day and complained that Essendon had a dream run with injuries compared to many other teams (he was a Pies supporter).. Even the hosts laughed at him and said what a flog he was. Essendon missed Joe, Devon Smith for large chunks let alone the other role players we missed during the year.

PhoenixBonez

All Australian
Jan 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I feel Daniher's trade value should still be quite high.
  • AA Full Forward at the age of 23.
  • Extremely talented footballer in a position that is highly sought after and highly valued (KPF). Matchwinner.
  • Has shown when returning from injuries that he can still have a significant impact despite limited training and still suffering from OP.
  • Is still only 25.
Yes he can become a FA at the end of next year but keeping him will gain us the benefit of having a (hopefully) recovered Joe Daniher playing at full forward with our team in 2020 which could be the difference in making the top 4 he's that good. We'll also have the opportunity to potentially talk him around into wanting to stay, which I think is more likely if he's playing, loving footy and winning. Worst case scenario he still wants to go as a FA, he leaves, we get a 1st round pick as the contract I imagine would have to be massive.

So Sydney surely have to give up quite a bit more than a 1st round pick to convince us. I would much rather have the above situation than a 1st round pick, even if it were pick number 4.

I'm sure if Dodoro is forced to the negotiation table, he'll be asking for 2 good 1sts for Daniher (with probably a 2nd going back) as the minimum.

Something like 4 & 8 for Daniher and future 2nd. I'm still not keen for this trade as I think he's too important to us - but I think it's realistically the best we could do if just considering draft picks.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Didn’t think there was that much in it before but it’s hard to ignore now.

Could be strategy for contract negotiations but it’s strange the update came from Merrett, almost as if it was club sanctioned :think:

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Didn’t think there was that much in it before but it’s hard to ignore now.

Could be strategy for contract negotiations but it’s strange the update came from Merrett, almost as if it was club sanctioned :think:
you would think so. You can see Merrett is being groomed as the future captain. So when he speaks, i tend to give it reasonable weight.

Preparing for the worst (he leaves, we get minimal return), hoping for the best (he stays) and we probably land in the middle (He goes, we get decent compensation to help plug some gaps)

We'll be robbing Peter to pay Paul, but it also means 900k a year in the cap frees up (maybe less if we back ended deals for Shiel & co).

ILikeCheese

Senior List
Apr 24, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
What would SPP be worth on the trade table? If the interest from Essendon is true are we likely to cough up this years and 2020 2nd? Or a swap of futures too perhaps?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
What would SPP be worth on the trade table? If the interest from Essendon is true are we likely to cough up this years and 2020 2nd? Or a swap of futures too perhaps?
Hard to say

Former 1st rd player. Has his limitations (and do we really want another player who struggles with kicking) but is the bull we need at the clearances. Been dropped and is being shopped. Much like Laverde from our end but SPP has shown more consistency in fitness and ability to string games together

Lets assume Daniher leaves
We will hold one or both of 4 & 8 (if both, one of our 2019 2nds or 2020 2nd would go with him)
Neither of those are going anywhere for SPP.

Worth more than 29, but not as much as 4/8.
Our future 1st is too unpredictable for either team i would imagine.

Xavier Menzies

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I am told confidently that Joe & Hurley will leave us.

We have a jumper to give Langdon and a jumper for a non mentioned target.
Caps tight and Francis will be leaving a bit behind

I don't see why we don't move Hooker on too.

I get the feels Draper will be our key player 21 onwards.

Xavier Menzies

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Hard to say

Former 1st rd player. Has his limitations (and do we really want another player who struggles with kicking) but is the bull we need at the clearances. Been dropped and is being shopped. Much like Laverde from our end but SPP has shown more consistency in fitness and ability to string games together

Lets assume Daniher leaves
We will hold one or both of 4 & 8 (if both, one of our 2019 2nds or 2020 2nd would go with him)
Neither of those are going anywhere for SPP.

Worth more than 29, but not as much as 4/8.
Our future 1st is too unpredictable for either team i would imagine.

Spp is worth 25-40 imo

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

AA CHB and CHF out.
Nice.

That non-mentioned target, i hope it's Dusty.

ILikeCheese

Senior List
Apr 24, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Francis will be leaving a bit behind? If Hurley goes surely he stays.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Hope Joe stays. Will rip the heart out of the club if he moves elsewhere and stars

only if we dont receive fair compensation via trade and capitalise on it.

If he goes and stars and we win a final even a premiership i dont think we'll be crying over spilt milk.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

When is that Gaff deal happening? What happened to Jack Martin?

Go away troll

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

Karl Langdon retired ages ago mate.. i know we love the peroxide but , too far

ps, hard to take anyone seriosuly with that av

Matthew_Lloyd

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

Why would Hurley leave? Doesn't he have another 2 years on a pretty decent contract?

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

Told by who? Anyone can throw bs out there. Who’s your source?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Spp is a butcher and will frustrate us plenty if we get him but he, alongside Devon will one of the only blokes to actually put some bodywork in.
If we get him for cheap then I'm fine with it.

Don't mind him personally; SPP / CEY / Constable would all be decent additions. Ideally Merrett can be pushed to a more outside role and actually remind us he's a good kick.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Told by who? Anyone can throw bs out there. Who’s your source?
He's the bloke who last year told us we were 100% getting Gaff then changed to Shiel. He threw a couple darts and hit with one. A couple weeks ago he said Jack Martin would be nominating us. Just a troll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back