Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddam... So how many years is the initial contract with new draftees then?
Assume there's no rookie scale contracts as they have in the NBA?
Most draftees get two years at a low (for AFL) wage. Mature picks and rookies get one year, and rookies get paid less. Draftees can't be paid more within those two years, so to extend within that period (particularly at less attractive clubs like GC) big dollars in years 3+ are offered.

Would you rather Laverde or Bonar?

If that was the final decision

A356jiI.gif

So we're supposed to be getting Phillips, who has nominated us officially now.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 7.09.09 pm.png

And then we're also linked to Cutler and Bonar, both are big-bodied mids. Do we think we're getting either/both? Which one do you guys prefer?

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 8.18.48 pm.png

Bonar has played 6 games as a permanent forward in a team that is absolutely stacked with mids, while Cutler is playing as a 'utility' that was earmarked to take over Hodge's spot at half back. Neither got much opportunity last year, Cutler also had a foot injury I think?

Bonar is theoretically going to cost a pick in the 20s, and his stats pro bio says he needs to work on his tank. I can't find a valuation for Cutler, but he's described as a 'running machine' and is obviously a bit older, more established sort of player.

Currently have 31, 33, 57, 65, 70 and a full complement of 2020 picks, which would be 12, 30, 48, 66 if we finish 8th again..

Can anyone post the Robbo article
From HS that’s just gone up?

The Swans and Essendon are so far apart on a Daniher deal it would take an extraordinary change of principle from either team for the trade to go through by Wednesday’s 7.30pm deadline.

The Herald Sun understands Sydney’s No. 5 pick has not been offered to Essendon in any potential deal, despite reports that it has.

The Swans’ best offer is pick No. 9, which they hope to secure for Tom Papley in a swap with Carlton, and its second round pick No. 25.

Essendon’s asking price is believed to be two first-round selections as well as a star such as Luke Parker, or Nick Blakey or Isaac Heeney, which the Swans will not consider.

The Bombers point blank refuse to weaken their playing list by trading 25-year-old Daniher for draft picks.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell, who is understood to have spoken to Daniher since his request for a trade, told the Herald Sun on Tuesday the club was not “prepared to undermine” it’s list management.

“We understand and respect Joe’s position, but we are not prepared to undermine our list management strategy and will not be trading a player and person of Joe’s quality unless we are satisfied the club is not in a worse position,” Campbell said.

“We don’t think that is an unreasonable position for the club take with a contracted player.”

Wednesday will be a watershed day for both the Swans and the Bombers.

The Swans rarely fail to secure a targeted player and presumably have offered Daniher a long-term deal.

But their commitment to the big forward would be seen as a huge embarrassment if they could not work close a deal.

Essendon’s list build following the drugs supplement scandal has been co-ordinated by Campbell and Adrian Dodoro, the general manager of list and recruiting, and has centred around Daniher as the key forward.

He was one of several players who helped entice Dylan Shiel to the club at the end of 2018.

They can’t now allow him to walk away fully fit with a year to run on his contract for a trade that weakens their chances of playing finals football next year.

Dodoro, the long-time Bombers deal maker, will be central to talks and will refuse to yield on Daniher unless the Swans come with a deal one person familiar with the situation called a trade to “knock your socks off'”.

He believes that if they keep a fit Daniher and he produces next year, the club can sway him to sign a long-term contract. He is currently contracted for the 2020 season.

Externally, some media people say Dodoro is a difficult person to deal with.

Internally, Essendon believes Dodoro is an outstanding operator who is acting in the best interests of the club.

If Dodoro bows down to Sydney on Daniher, it would continue to drive the public narrative the Bombers are a mediocre football club who, this time, can’t keep its best player.

Last year, he secured Shiel with an offer of two first-round draft selections to Greater Western Sydney.

He believes a similar deal — with a player — is required for Daniher “We’ve made it perfectly clear in regards to Joe that our intention is to keep him,” Dodoro said on Monday.

“We’re working really hard to make sure that’s the case.”

“Our position hasn’t changed. We don’t think this draft will replace a guy of Joey’s ilk — 203cm, a gun key forward, they’re just so hard to find.”

Daniher, who has played just 11 games in two injury-hit seasons, is believed to be still overseas.

“We understand and respect Joe’s position, but we are not prepared to undermine our list management strategy and will not be trading a player and person of Joe’s quality unless we are satisfied the club is not in a worse position,” Campbell said.

“We don’t think that is an unreasonable position for the club take with a contracted player.”
good.

I'm sold.. Daniher trade won't happen. SWANS never stuff around with trades especially with players they have targeted so being this far apart I just can't see on last day them offering a mega deal....

In; Devon Smith, Aiden Bonar, Irving Mosquito (pick 38 which we received from GWS for Smith) Jake Stringer (pick 24 received from GWS for Smith)
Out; Pick 11, Pick 31 (assuming for Bonar), Future third (cbf figuring out what it was) and pick 30 (which we traded for stringer)

Am I doing this right?

So if we get Bonar for 31, we can pretend that we kept pick 11 in the 2017 draft (for Bonar) and traded them an extra future (2019) pick 31 instead?

So we can pretend we picked up Stringer, Smith and 2018 pick 38 (Mosquito) for:
2017 pick 30
2018 pick 47
2019 pick 31

I'll take that.

To show my working...

Trade 1:
IN: Smith + 25 + 2018 2nd (38)
OUT: 11, 2018 3rd (47)

Trade 2:
IN: Stringer
OUT: 25, 30

Trade 3:
IN: Bonar (previous pick 11 that we gave up)
OUT: 2019 p31

Over time we use picks 11, 30, 31, 47 to get - Stringer, Smith, Bonar, Mosquito.

So we're supposed to be getting Phillips, who has nominated us officially now.

View attachment 765153

And then we're also linked to Cutler and Bonar, both are big-bodied mids. Do we think we're getting either/both? Which one do you guys prefer?

View attachment 765154

Bonar has played 6 games as a permanent forward in a team that is absolutely stacked with mids, while Cutler is playing as a 'utility' that was earmarked to take over Hodge's spot at half back. Neither got much opportunity last year, Cutler also had a foot injury I think?

Bonar is theoretically going to cost a pick in the 20s, and his stats pro bio says he needs to work on his tank. I can't find a valuation for Cutler, but he's described as a 'running machine' and is obviously a bit older, more established sort of player.

Currently have 31, 33, 57, 65, 70 and a full complement of 2020 picks, which would be 12, 30, 48, 66 if we finish 8th again..
I feel like all 3 add depth that we need.

Phillips is there in the event TBC breaks down. He covered ok for Kruezer this year.
Cutler isn't a polished star but will work hard, and we lack that. He's also big enough to balance us out size wise, and he's a decent age
Bonar is worth the gamble if there is no one better in this draft. We don't have a pick in the 20's so i'd be looking to send our later pick in the 30s through (just for the lols. It's GWS', and Bonar is who they took with the 1st we sent for Smith).

Question would be does Bonar project better than anything on offer in the 30s in this years draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we get Bonar for 31, we can pretend that we kept pick 11 in the 2017 draft (for Bonar) and traded them an extra future (2019) pick 31 instead?

So we can pretend we picked up Stringer, Smith and 2018 pick 38 (Mosquito) for:
2017 pick 30
2018 pick 47
2019 pick 31

I'll take that.

To show my working...

Trade 1:
IN: Smith + 25 + 2018 2nd (38)
OUT: 11, 2018 3rd (47)

Trade 2:
IN: Stringer
OUT: 25, 30

Trade 3:
IN: Bonar (previous pick 11 that we gave up)
OUT: 2019 p31

Over time we use picks 11, 30, 31, 47 to get - Stringer, Smith, Bonar, Mosquito.

That's a fair haul.

Blues ITKs seem very confident that the deal for Papley is done. Swans would only be doing that if they'd struck a deal with us I'm afraid.

I'm sold.. Daniher trade won't happen. SWANS never stuff around with trades especially with players they have targeted so being this far apart I just can't see on last day them offering a mega deal....
I'm fine with that. Sydney is a top end operation. They've been high achievers and expertly regenerated their list on the back of being hard-arses for a long time now. We can bag them from a distance but they've been to the mountain top more than we have in recent years. I'm glad the club is staying true.

Am I the only one that sees what is going to happen tomorrow? This trade has been dragged out and now built up into mission impossible.
There are ratings and internet clicks and who knows what else for the last, evening of trade week.
Mission impossible will turn mission possible at exactly 6.30pm.
Just enough time for interviews all round.

The Swans and Essendon are so far apart on a Daniher deal it would take an extraordinary change of principle from either team for the trade to go through by Wednesday’s 7.30pm deadline.

The Herald Sun understands Sydney’s No. 5 pick has not been offered to Essendon in any potential deal, despite reports that it has.

The Swans’ best offer is pick No. 9, which they hope to secure for Tom Papley in a swap with Carlton, and its second round pick No. 25.

Essendon’s asking price is believed to be two first-round selections as well as a star such as Luke Parker, or Nick Blakey or Isaac Heeney, which the Swans will not consider.

The Bombers point blank refuse to weaken their playing list by trading 25-year-old Daniher for draft picks.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell, who is understood to have spoken to Daniher since his request for a trade, told the Herald Sun on Tuesday the club was not “prepared to undermine” it’s list management.

Wednesday will be a watershed day for both the Swans and the Bombers.

The Swans rarely fail to secure a targeted player and presumably have offered Daniher a long-term deal.

But their commitment to the big forward would be seen as a huge embarrassment if they could not work close a deal.

Essendon’s list build following the drugs supplement scandal has been co-ordinated by Campbell and Adrian Dodoro, the general manager of list and recruiting, and has centred around Daniher as the key forward.

He was one of several players who helped entice Dylan Shiel to the club at the end of 2018.

They can’t now allow him to walk away fully fit with a year to run on his contract for a trade that weakens their chances of playing finals football next year.

Dodoro, the long-time Bombers deal maker, will be central to talks and will refuse to yield on Daniher unless the Swans come with a deal one person familiar with the situation called a trade to “knock your socks off'”.

He believes that if they keep a fit Daniher and he produces next year, the club can sway him to sign a long-term contract. He is currently contracted for the 2020 season.

Externally, some media people say Dodoro is a difficult person to deal with.

Internally, Essendon believes Dodoro is an outstanding operator who is acting in the best interests of the club.

If Dodoro bows down to Sydney on Daniher, it would continue to drive the public narrative the Bombers are a mediocre football club who, this time, can’t keep its best player.

Last year, he secured Shiel with an offer of two first-round draft selections to Greater Western Sydney.

He believes a similar deal — with a player — is required for Daniher “We’ve made it perfectly clear in regards to Joe that our intention is to keep him,” Dodoro said on Monday.

“We’re working really hard to make sure that’s the case.”

“Our position hasn’t changed. We don’t think this draft will replace a guy of Joey’s ilk — 203cm, a gun key forward, they’re just so hard to find.”

Daniher, who has played just 11 games in two injury-hit seasons, is believed to be still overseas.

if the swans seriously came into this thinking pick 9 + 25 would be accepted then that is deadset ******* embarrassing for them.

shows a total lack of commitment for joe and a complete amatuer attempt at getting a star player.

actually feel bad for joe if hes been sold a dream for the swans to piss on him.

Am I the only one that sees what is going to happen tomorrow? This trade has been dragged out and now built up into mission impossible.
There are ratings and internet clicks and who knows what else for the last, evening of trade week.
Mission impossible will turn mission possible at exactly 6.30pm.
Just enough time for interviews all round.

Lol like last year? I don’t see it though, there’s other deals hinging on it. Our club is having a line in sand moment, we’ll it better be, it’s either a mega deal or we keep joe. If we buckle for less will be mediocre for another 19 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back