Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Sorry, that doesn't show how poor Moore is, it shows that Lynch is a gun. They had the opportunity to snare one and they did.
If being 23 with a lot to learn isn't upside, I'm obviously a bit bewildered.
A lot of people whinge about EFC treading water. The club is being bold in an effort to make some advances. This is why we've brought in new coaches from Richmond who broke their Premiershipmond mold, yet there are conservatives who want to poopoo the decisions before they've even been made. Bizarre. Let the new coaches reshape us and break our awful culture of defenceless rubbish. Some sacrifices have to be made to allow the new system to work. It could hurt and we may go backwards before going forwards. It's called an implementation dip. Again, I'd rather give Rutten and Caracella the benefit of the doubt first.

More to my point, we have two guys (Daniher + McKernan may get first crack at it) to play seniors and then another two/three guys we should be developing at VFL level for list balance purposes. Our #3/#4/#5 guys should be;

#3 - ready to play if the #1 or #2 is injured (James Stewart)
#4 - A guy under 21 who is developing at VFL level (Noah Gown currently holds this position imho).
#5 - Ideally this guy is 18/19 y.o who is a longer term project. Someone who could jump up this board as quickly as he develops. This is where I like the idea of Riccardi. [edit. Some may like Riley Bowman as a fwd, I'm not completely sold on him fwd but he has shown he can kick a goal when playing on ball.]

I guess it all comes down to how we rate the guys in question (Moore, Riccardi, Pat Kerr, James Stewart etc). Ideally, Stewart gets fit, we draft Riccardi and Essendon has 2 guys in the VFL who could potentially play AFL to a dependable standard in 2020.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I personally hate the unwritten delist and Intend to re rookie rule

Stuff them, it's fair game

To be fair, the couple of articles I have seen this off season have shown clubs are allowing players to "explore there options" with the intention of re drafting them as a rookie if no one selects them. Archie Smith (Brisbane ruckmen) is one and I think the Fremantle guys (Hugh Dixon and Tom Northe) were also said to be allowed.

I'm with you though, if they are 'delisted' stuff them. They are fair game. The rookie list has been used and abused for far too long now for re listing mature aged guys and salary cap/list management purposes. It's a farce.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Anyhow heard the rumour on how Titanic the movie ended? Sounds quite horrible.

Hey mods, when I write 9th mond as one word, I'm autocorrected to Premiershipmond. WTF?
You’ll have to take that one up with Chief, the most stable genius,

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
More to my point, we have two guys (Daniher + McKernan may get first crack at it) to play seniors and then another two/three guys we should be developing at VFL level for list balance purposes. Our #3/#4/#5 guys should be;

#4 - A guy under 21 who is developing at VFL level (Noah Gown currently holds this position imho).
#5 - Ideally this guy is 18/19 y.o who is a longer term project. Someone who could jump up this board as quickly as he develops. This is where I like the idea of Riccardi. [edit. Some may like Riley Bowman as a fwd, I'm not completely sold on him fwd but he has shown he can kick a goal when playing on ball.]

I guess it all comes down to how we rate the guys in question (Moore, Riccardi, Pat Kerr, James Stewart etc). Ideally, Stewart gets fit, we draft Riccardi and Essendon has 2 guys in the VFL who could potentially play AFL to a dependable standard in 2020.
Gimme a break Yoda. You would have had #5 as Brown rather than a younger Callum Moore.
It sounds like your argument should actually be to have kept Brown and delisted someone else, like Gown, but that doesn't fit your argument either.

Gimme a break Yoda. You would have had #5 as Brown rather than a younger Callum Moore.
It sounds like your argument should actually be to have kept Brown and delisted someone else, like Gown, but that doesn't fit your argument either.
Actually it sounds like he wants someone who has shown himself to be very good at state league level but is young enough to be a long term player. Which is someone like Riccardi, Kerr, Freeman or Hammelman.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

I would have delisted Stewart but he is under contract. Even moved him to the rookie list. We were lucky/unlucky that we were listing essentially three of the same sort of player (Brown, Stewart and McKernan). A role playing key forward. Having moved away from that by moving on Brown, why replace him with a poorer version?

Matt Hammelmann is one that interests me. 126 goals in the NEAFL the past 2 years, has only gone goalless once in that time. Has two bags of 9 as well.

Biggest issue is that the NEAFL is comfortably the weakest of the state leagues. However, he's kicked enough goals to at least see if he's good enough at VFL/AFL level.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Actually it sounds like he wants someone who has shown himself to be very good at state league level but is young enough to be a long term player. Which is someone like Riccardi, Kerr, Freeman or Hammelman.
Exactly!

Ideally this is how I would like our key forwards on our list to be;

#1 - Best forward at the club. Currently Joe Daniher
#2 - Role player in the senior side. Someone who can hold down #1 if he goes down with injury. Shaun McKernan
#3 - A guy mature enough to play seniors but is in the reserves due to the #1/#2 guys performing well. Mitch Brown held it this year
#4 - This is where we got into trouble. A guy young enough to develop into a #1/#2 forward with development. Was James Stewart
#5 - Young key forward who is a longer term prospect. Currently Noah Gown.

This was where we struggled. Stewart, McKernan and Brown were all stuck amongst 3 > 4 when we really need to be replacing one of these with a shift to 4 > 5. Moore I don't rate with what I have seen of him this year. No real upside and would simply be a big body and that's it.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Matt Hammelmann is one that interests me. 126 goals in the NEAFL the past 2 years, has only gone goalless once in that time. Has two bags of 9 as well.

Biggest issue is that the NEAFL is comfortably the weakest of the state leagues. However, he's kicked enough goals to at least see if he's good enough at VFL/AFL level.

Quite a few guys in the NEAFL who should be given an opportunity at the higher level, if not better standard of state league footy.

Quite a few guys in the NEAFL who should be given an opportunity at the higher level, if not better standard of state league footy.
There comes a point in time where you have to say "Yes it's a weaker league but runs are runs" (using cricket as an example. Oh hi Cricket Victoria).

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
I had a moment of madness over incorrect spelling of people's names. Someone else did, then the very next post I looked at, you did, and I went full Don Martin. "Gak!" Forget about it.
Oh right ok. While I do know how to spell his name and generally take some care in checking my posts, BigFooty is not a place I’m gonna spend too much time on proofing.

BomberARMY

All Australian
Mar 20, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Unfortunately both guys have been promised to be drafted onto there resective rookie lists.
Is this more of an unwritten thing between clubs not to grab them or at least attempt to lure them with the promise of more opportunity?

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

And then where does Brown fit into the equation? If that's ideal, Brown's still cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back