Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wines is a perfect fit for what EFC needs - A combative inside midfielder with a decent outside game and more than adequate skills - Whether can or will chase Wines is another matter.
Richardson pushed Dodoro to pay overs for Shiel. Probably not inconceivable he does it again.
I'm interested in David Swallow as well. Probably immovable as captain though.

Richardson pushed Dodoro to pay overs for Shiel. Probably not inconceivable he does it again.
I'm interested in David Swallow as well. Probably immovable as captain though.
Will be a sun for life. To Norf's dismay

I've only read comments on here about him and his desire to play AFL. That said I haven't read anything about mental health.
I didn't realise he's only 22. Seems a better prospect than Day but would definitely cost more. Surely Ugle-Hagan will take a while to develop. Bulldogs playing a forwardline with three talls in the interim isn't inconceivable. I'd be keen on Schache but I don't think it's likely unless he can be convinced.

Will be a sun for life. To Norf's dismay
There's a kid on Reddit who is (I think) Tony Cochrane's....son in law? Or something. But he's posted several times that Swallow is very close with their family and club, always over for dinner etc. Don't think he'd go anywhere tbh.

I didn't realise he's only 22. Seems a better prospect than Day but would definitely cost more. Surely Ugle-Hagan will take a while to develop. Bulldogs playing a forwardline with three talls in the interim isn't inconceivable. I'd be keen on Schache but I don't think it's likely unless he can be convinced.
Depending on the Daniher outcome we will probably need another KPF. The Bulldogs would want value and personally I'd be concerned about paying a high price for anyone until we have a better midfield.

I guess it all depends on when people see us challenging. I don't think the over 28's of this group will be part of out next flag so personally i would be building for 3 or 4 years from now. That would have looked like us hitting the last draft hard for 3 pure mids like the Swans have just done (plus still taking Jones but not Bryan). Get a Schache (or better) in the next couple of years. That all would have involved Daniher picks of course.

The club clearly thinks this group can challenge with a bit of extra size through the middle. That we can't win a final would suggest history doesn't side with that argument. Rather than a KPF I can see us paying overs for another inside mid at the end of this season once we get to see - yet again - we are a class below the top tier.

Last edited:
Finlayson would suck playing in our forward line. Any player of his standard would do well in that GWS side

Depending on the Daniher outcome we will probably need another KPF. The Bulldogs would want value and personally I'd be concerned about paying a high price for anyone until we have a better midfield.

I guess it all depends on when people see us challenging. I don't think the over 28's of this group will be part of out next flag so personally i would be building for 3 or 4 years from now. That would have looked like us hitting the last draft hard for 3 pure mids like the Swans have just done (plus still taking Jones but not Bryan). Get a Schache (or better) in the next couple of years. That all would have involved Daniher picks of course.

The club clearly thinks this group can challenge with a bit of extra size through the middle. That we can't win a final would suggest history doesn't side with that argument. Rather than a KPF I can see us paying overs for another inside mid at the end of this season once we get to see - yet again - we are a class below the top tier.
If Fantasia still wants to go home at the end of the year we may not have to pay too much in exchange for a quality mid like Wines or maybe Brad Crouch.

It will be Daniher's situation that is a key to a player like Schache.

If Fantasia still wants to go home at the end of the year we may not have to pay too much in exchange for a quality mid like Wines or maybe Brad Crouch.

It will be Daniher's situation that is a key to a player like Schache.
I like your optimism. Sooner or later you have to get back to the draft though. If people think a 'Wines' added to this group is going to win us a flag or position us for sustained success then I'm happy to agree to disagree at this stage (generally speaking, I'm not suggesting this is your point).

That said, the biggest variable i see here are coaching and gameplan changes. If we see real traction in those areas with this group this season then load up by all means. What does that look like? A finals win - or two for mine.

Swans will be interesting. If we are going anywhere we should win the midfield battle. No way would i bet on that happening.

Edit: I am on the record here with Fantasia. I would have let him go last last year as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your optimism. Sooner or later you have to get back to the draft though. If people think a 'Wines' added to this group is going to win us a flag or position us for sustained success then I'm happy to agree to disagree at this stage (generally speaking, I'm not suggesting this is your point).

That said, the biggest variable i see here are coaching and gameplan changes. If we see real traction in those areas with this group this season then load up by all means. What does that look like? A finals win - or two for mine.

Swans will be interesting. If we are going anywhere we should win the midfield battle. No way would i bet on that happening.
Agree its time for us to hit a few drafts hard and use our 1st high end picks since Parish, Francis, Ridley and McGrath. We get some good key position talent with our Acadamy picks this year, the davey twins coming through and our ruck department has got plenty to work with. Go for a few gun mids at the next couple of drafts as that is an area where we have never really had depth unlike most top 4 teams.

Agree its time for us to hit a few drafts hard and use our 1st high end picks since Parish, Francis, Ridley and McGrath. We get some good key position talent with our Acadamy picks this year, the davey twins coming through and our ruck department has got plenty to work with. Go for a few gun mids at the next couple of drafts as that is an area where we have never really had depth unlike most top 4 teams.
Im looking forward to the Davey twins too though we already have plenty. If future success is determined by small forwards then we are in for years of domination.

I hope the club keeps Josh Schache then deal with Adrian Dodoro. If my club does want to trade him it will be for a fair price as he is contracted till 2022

I hope the club keeps Josh Schache then deal with Adrian Dodoro. If my club does want to trade him it will be for a fair price as he is contracted till 2022

Schache’s value will be highly dependent on how well he plays this season. Had a few promising signs last year but I worry he doesn’t have enough strength or athleticism to beat AFL defenders.

I can see you guy’s being interested him him if you lose Daniher to the swans. Weren’t you guys interested in Schache in 2017

I can see you guy’s being interested him him if you lose Daniher to the swans. Weren’t you guys interested in Schache in 2017

I don't think so. I'm not sure how much work the bulldogs put into him. It seemed like Shache was one of the few cases of genuine home sickness and just wanted to get to Victoria anyway possible.

As a Port fan what do you think Wines is really like(I don’t see many port games)?? He signed a big contract didn’t he($800k per year?)? Supercoach is no guide but he seems to start each year as a $480k player and end each year at the same price, never getting up around $600 like the elite midfielders. I think he had only one year where he was 7/8th best in the league for clearances. Keen to know an honest opinion from a Port fan.

high quality inside mid who is a real real physical presence in the trenches. He’s a real asset to the other mids who benefit from a near 100kg mid banging around in there. Boak is the biggest benefactor. Pre-wines we tried to play him in that role and he did his best and was still a very good player but it wasn’t the best role for him playing that inside. His disposal is poor in that he doesn’t have great weighting on his kicks. When he’s inside it doesn’t matter. His hand balling is okay and his kicking from contests is the same as any other player trying to do the same thing. Can gut run and get outside and receive but ball use outside is pretty poor. Doesnt do stupid stuff like kick backwards or chip. Goes long down the line but don’t rely on him streaming down the wing and hitting the ball to a forwards favour. He’s a kick it in the general direction player. Distance on kick is okay but just doesn’t have that feel / weighting. Very similar to brad Eberts kick if you’ve watched a bit of him.

Average to poor kick for goal.

Decent overhead but not as consistently great as a 190cm 98kg beast should be.

very consistent player.

Averages 25-27 possies every season since his second season. the absolute elite of the elite reside in the 27-30 bracket that wines hasn’t yet broken.

he emerged as a star player but hasn’t really taken the next step.

a lot of port fans are filthy at him because he was named co- captain (an outrage itself when port names single captains and gives them the number 1 Guernsey as tradition for decades) then injured his shoulder wake boarding. He was meant to be our great white hope so they’re fairly jilted.

In another world where I thought wines would be a 1 club player I would keep him, but can’t see him sticking beyond free agency in 2 years so if he wants to go I want to get kids in rozees age bracket.

Im looking forward to the Davey twins too though we already have plenty. If future success is determined by small forwards then we are in for years of domination.
Just because their father was a small forward, does not mean the sons are also...

Just because their father was a small forward, does not mean the sons are also...
Sure. They know where the goals are from what I've read. Not everybody has that so there's another indicator they may spend time both being small and playing forward.

Finlayson would suck playing in our forward line. Any player of his standard would do well in that GWS side

Finlayson is a solid 2nd or 3rd tall type guy; pretty mobile, kicks straight, gets to the right spots. Mitch Brown-esque. Not really your primary KPF though, and don't think he's someone we should be chasing.

Wright would suit us well I think, can be that FWD / RUC type that plays FF and covers the resting Ruck minutes. If he's gettable I'd very much hope we're making enquiries.

high quality inside mid who is a real real physical presence in the trenches. He’s a real asset to the other mids who benefit from a near 100kg mid banging around in there. Boak is the biggest benefactor. Pre-wines we tried to play him in that role and he did his best and was still a very good player but it wasn’t the best role for him playing that inside. His disposal is poor in that he doesn’t have great weighting on his kicks. When he’s inside it doesn’t matter. His hand balling is okay and his kicking from contests is the same as any other player trying to do the same thing. Can gut run and get outside and receive but ball use outside is pretty poor. Doesnt do stupid stuff like kick backwards or chip. Goes long down the line but don’t rely on him streaming down the wing and hitting the ball to a forwards favour. He’s a kick it in the general direction player. Distance on kick is okay but just doesn’t have that feel / weighting. Very similar to brad Eberts kick if you’ve watched a bit of him.

Average to poor kick for goal.

Decent overhead but not as consistently great as a 190cm 98kg beast should be.

very consistent player.

Averages 25-27 possies every season since his second season. the absolute elite of the elite reside in the 27-30 bracket that wines hasn’t yet broken.

he emerged as a star player but hasn’t really taken the next step.

a lot of port fans are filthy at him because he was named co- captain (an outrage itself when port names single captains and gives them the number 1 Guernsey as tradition for decades) then injured his shoulder wake boarding. He was meant to be our great white hope so they’re fairly jilted.

In another world where I thought wines would be a 1 club player I would keep him, but can’t see him sticking beyond free agency in 2 years so if he wants to go I want to get kids in rozees age bracket.

I think a lot of people assumed Wines would take that next step in output but he never has. Whether it's injury, interest or ability limiting that is hard to say. Given our current midfield balance, the known output of Wines fits us well.

He's pretty much a known quantity; as you said you'll get 25-27 disposals out of him every week, 5 tackles, not many goals, and 5-6 clearances (which puts him around the mark of most good clearance players without being elite). Importantly for us, we wouldn't have to use guys like Shiel and Merrett as first-touch ball winners when they're better suited to that second possession receiver role. A good inside clearance workhorse.

05e5ea17b6.png

Sure. They know where the goals are from what I've read. Not everybody has that so there's another indicator they may spend time both being small and playing forward.
On the other hand, one of them playing as a midfielder might be an indication he might be a midfielder

On the other hand, one of them playing as a midfielder might be an indication he might be a midfielder
Where's the other one playing?

Edit; you must be referring to Jayden playing midfield as this was a report from EDPs on here from 20th of March this year - where he played for Oakley under 16's "mostly forward"...

"Well I wasn’t expecting this but Alwyn Davey jr played for Oakleigh in the under 16s today and boy oh boy does he look a player.

His speed, agility and nous around goal are fantastic and in a fast paced and frantic game his style of play really came to the fold."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back