Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson is only if spots are reduced
Yeah I doubt it’ll happen, but it would make the club look stupid if it did. Currently the players that are playing for their future in my eyes are:
Bellchambers (most likely retire)
Laverde
Mutch
Begley
Cutler (only got a 1 year deal)
Gown (think he might get a 1 year extension depending how he finishes the year)
Zaharakis (chance we pay out his contract if he keeps up the 2 possession games)
Stewart
Crawford

Wonder if it’s worth trading Redman? Not because he can’t play, he’s obviously a good young player. But we have a surplus of HBFs. I reckon we could get something quite good for him. Perhaps a swap for Wines?

Wonder if it’s worth trading Redman? Not because he can’t play, he’s obviously a good young player. But we have a surplus of HBFs. I reckon we could get something quite good for him. Perhaps a swap for Wines?

I’m already plotting a domestic terror event because the match committee left him out. I shudder to think what I’d do if they attempted to trade him.

Good chance McKenna retires from the game soon. I wouldn't be jettisoning Redman at all. Esp given he can get up on a wing.
i was only just thinking today that if McKenna did leave we should make a play for Witherden.

Meanwhile, Cats unearth another possession beast in Simpson
With Constable and Fogarty in the wings.
And a ton of picks this year.
:(

Good chance McKenna retires from the game soon. I wouldn't be jettisoning Redman at all. Esp given he can get up on a wing.
i was only just thinking today that if McKenna did leave we should make a play for Witherden.

Yeah, just to reiterate - it’s not because I don’t rate Redman. It’s because we have Redman, Saad, Gleeson, Francis, Ridley and McKenna (who may go home) all competing for the same spot. I reckon we can get a good inside mid for the price of Redman.

Pass. We have plenty of depth in defence, don't waste resources in an area you're well stocked in.

Yeah, just to reiterate - it’s not because I don’t rate Redman. It’s because we have Redman, Saad, Gleeson, Francis, Ridley and McKenna (who may go home) all competing for the same spot. I reckon we can get a good inside mid for the price of Redman.
Gleeson will most likely be gone at the end of the year, someone will offer him more than essendon and I doubt McKenna signs an extension beyond end of 21. So if we get rid of redman we are suddenly short. We’ve spent 4 years developing him why would you get rid of him now, when he has potential to be a star.

i think Phillips showed where our #1 need is.
Get a ruckman to compete and play a role at the contest and our midfield can operate at the coalface.
And that was minus Heppell and Merrett.

If you count the CHB and FB and our gameplan revolving around 7 defenders only one of those players becomes depth.
And i'd have Redman ahead of Gleeson.

Get the thinking, but we'd lose a strong, contested rebounding defender with decent disposal.

I would assume the bold stay, short of Daniher/Fantasia being traded for (only based on 2019 rumours) and McKenna retiring back to Ireland.

Don't know enough about Gown to say one way or another.
I'd be more surprised if Hird was to go, he's a free hit (which people don't seem to realise is a good thing), and I think Gown will get an extension.
Yeah I doubt it’ll happen, but it would make the club look stupid if it did. Currently the players that are playing for their future in my eyes are:
Bellchambers (most likely retire)
Laverde
Mutch
Begley
Cutler (only got a 1 year deal)
Gown (think he might get a 1 year extension depending how he finishes the year)
Zaharakis (chance we pay out his contract if he keeps up the 2 possession games)
Stewart
Crawford
I also doubt it happens but if 35 player lists are a thing he'd be well down the list of players who we want to keep. I'd add Mozzie and Guelfi to the list. I rate Moz but he's seemingly been passed by Cahill already and Guelfi is basically Ben Howlett lite.

Otherwise agree with all of them (though I think Cutler has had a good start to the year and will get an extension if he comes back and shows similar form). I can also see someone like Parish getting traded.

I'd be more surprised if Hird was to go, he's a free hit (which people don't seem to realise is a good thing), and I think Gown will get an extension.

I also doubt it happens but if 35 player lists are a thing he'd be well down the list of players who we want to keep. I'd add Mozzie and Guelfi to the list. I rate Moz but he's seemingly been passed by Cahill already and Guelfi is basically Ben Howlett lite.

Otherwise agree with all of them (though I think Cutler has had a good start to the year and will get an extension if he comes back and shows similar form). I can also see someone like Parish getting traded.
If, as you say, lists are cut to 35, I can't see much trading happening at all. Clubs will be hard pressed to cut enough players as it is.
Having said that, I doubt any list size cuts will be anywhere near that severe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone able to post the article on the Herald Sun that say Peter Wright might be gettable?

We should go HARD at him if he is.
I think we should look at him if Joe goes. But 2MPs been in the AFL system 6 years and done 2/5s of * all. I wouldn’t be giving up much more than a brass razoo for his services.

Of the guys in the firing line (our of contract)

Josh Begley - delist
Tom Bellchambers - retire
Henry Crawford - +1 year
Joe Daniher +2 years
Marty Gleeson - +2 years
Noah Gown - delist
Bray den sham - +2 years
Kyle Langford +3 years
Jayden Laverne - +1 year
Andy McGrath +3 years
Shaun McKernan +1 year
Irving Mosquito +1 year
Kobe Mutch- Delist
Jordan Ridley +3 years
Adam Saad +3 years
James Stewart - Delist

That’s 5 not taking into account trades possibly for Fantasia, Daniher a surprising player.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Snelling & Townsend off the rookie list either.

We have a first rounder, a third and 3 fourth rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delist/retire: Bellchambers, Zaharakis, Laverde, Begley, Mutch

1 year: Gown, Mosquito, McKernan, Crauford, Hibberd, Townsend, Phillips

2 years: Gleeson, Cutler, Ham, Snelling, Daniher

3+ years: McGrath, Langford, Ridley, Saad

Unsure about Stewart, either delist (if we attract another key forward) or 1 year (if we lose Daniher). Players who could get tradedunder contract:

Darcy Parish (will be unpopular but our midfield lacks size and he could fetch a good price), Orazio Fantasia (Please don't request a trade Raz. We love you.), Matt Guelfi (More hope, I love the way he goes about it but he's not AFL standard IMO), Dylan Clarke (Maybe go to Sydney to join his brother?)

Potential trade targets:

Key forwards: Elliott Himmelberg, Peter Wright, Jeremy Finlayson, Sam Weideman, Josh Schache
Big bodied inside midfielders: Willem Drew, Will Brodie, Ollie Wines, Paul Ahern, Jack Bytel

I'd love for any combination of Wright/Weideman/Schache and Drew/Brodie/Wines

Delist/retire: Bellchambers, Zaharakis, Laverde, Begley, Mutch

1 year: Gown, Mosquito, McKernan, Crauford, Hibberd, Townsend, Phillips

2 years: Gleeson, Cutler, Ham, Snelling, Daniher

3+ years: McGrath, Langford, Ridley, Saad

Unsure about Stewart, either delist (if we attract another key forward) or 1 year (if we lose Daniher). Players who could get tradedunder contract:

Darcy Parish (will be unpopular but our midfield lacks size and he could fetch a good price), Orazio Fantasia (Please don't request a trade Raz. We love you.), Matt Guelfi (More hope, I love the way he goes about it but he's not AFL standard IMO), Dylan Clarke (Maybe go to Sydney to join his brother?)

Potential trade targets:

Key forwards: Elliott Himmelberg, Peter Wright, Jeremy Finlayson, Sam Weideman, Josh Schache
Big bodied inside midfielders: Willem Drew, Will Brodie, Ollie Wines, Paul Ahern, Jack Bytel

I'd love for any combination of Wright/Weideman/Schache and Drew/Brodie/Wines

Agree with everything except would happily give 3+ years to Ham and never Schache ❤

Agree with everything except would happily give 3+ years to Ham and never Schache ❤
We rarely give out 3 years after a players first contract at AFL level, the only one I can think of is Walla, who was a lot better than Ham is right now.

We rarely give out 3 years after a players first contract at AFL level, the only one I can think of is Walla, who was a lot better than Ham is right now.

You’re probably right but I think we are only scratching the surface of Ham atm. They clearly rate him; the bloke is 70kgs and they are giving him centre bounce experience already. Give him two years and I think he’ll be in our starting midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back