Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’ll stay.

They’re talking about them on Footy Classified. The gettable one is Josh Kelly. You’d pay trade-wise. But they’re well over the cap and probably need to shed a gun or two.

Zac Williams is almost certain to go. Himmelberg is another though not on the same level.

Not sure if he's worth getting or not but Himmelberg is one of my fav non Ess players, would be frothing to have him just on bias alone 😝

What is our current draft hand, exactly?
I'm not sure how we afford much of what's being bandied about.

So many mids seem to be in public conversation now, perhaps more than last year? From what I can gather;
Caldwell
Drew
Shipley
Brodie
Fiorini
Wines
Constable
Sier
Hopper
Kelly
Crouch
Brayshaw

Without having a great depth of knowledge of these, it would be great to see their respective ages/approximate trade cost.

On one hand I think we should focus on a younger, cheaper option. The reviews on Constable from his draft year are exciting, feels like he's really being wasted. He's been learning from and training alongside Danger, Selwood and Ablett as well.

On the other hand, you'd pay a bit more for a Crouch or Wines but they're well seasoned. I think I lean away from those two, but it would be hard to say no to Josh Kelly.

So many mids seem to be in public conversation now, perhaps more than last year? From what I can gather;
Caldwell
Drew
Shipley
Brodie
Fiorini
Wines
Constable
Sier
Hopper
Kelly
Crouch
Brayshaw

Without having a great depth of knowledge of these, it would be great to see their respective ages/approximate trade cost.

On one hand I think we should focus on a younger, cheaper option. The reviews on Constable from his draft year are exciting, feels like he's really being wasted. He's been learning from and training alongside Danger, Selwood and Ablett as well.

On the other hand, you'd pay a bit more for a Crouch or Wines but they're well seasoned. I think I lean away from those two, but it would be hard to say no to Josh Kelly.
13, 46, 67, 69, 71.

I could easily say no to Josh Kelly. Would he be our best midfielder? Absolutely. Does he change the balance of our midfield? Not one iota. Crouch the same. We probably don't have the pick currency for Wines or Brayshaw unfortunately.

13, 46, 67, 69, 71.

I could easily say no to Josh Kelly. Would he be our best midfielder? Absolutely. Does he change the balance of our midfield? Not one iota. Crouch the same. We probably don't have the pick currency for Wines or Brayshaw unfortunately.
He'd be an awesome upgrade on Zaharakis but if we don't have the currency for Wines or Brayshaw, we wouldn't have it for Kelly either would we?

Edit: So that reduces the list to;
Caldwell
Drew
Shipley
Brodie
Fiorini
Constable
Sier
Hopper

He'd be an awesome upgrade on Zaharakis but if we don't have the currency for Wines or Brayshaw, we wouldn't have it for Kelly either would we?
Doesn't improve our midfield one iota

Hearing from the same source who told me about Dylan Shiel to the Bombers, Jye Caldwell and Darren Minchington are a big chance to end up at Essendon during the trade period. Would be huge for your club 😎

Hearing from the same source who told me about Dylan Shiel to the Bombers, Jye Caldwell and Darren Minchington are a big chance to end up at Essendon during the trade period. Would be huge for your club 😎
Oh really? Because they seem to be open to a few others according to yourself
Three-way deal i think would work perfectly for each club.

GWS - Constable
Hawks - Caldwell
Cats - Minchington

Jeez I hope not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are they, never heard of them.
Why not a Brodie or Constable
Caldwell is who GWS selected with the pick we gave them for Shiel if I'm not mistaken. Not sure we need another smallish mid. Midfield would still be unbalanced.

I'd prefer Sier or Constable. Sier apparently seemed to be discontent with Collingwood on instagram. Had been among their best in scratch matches but Collingwood prefer Wills over him. I think he's gettable.

Caldwell is who GWS selected with the pick we gave them for Shiel if I'm not mistaken. Not sure we need another smallish mid. Midfield would still be unbalanced.

I'd prefer Sier or Constable. Sier apparently seemed to be discontent with Collingwood on instagram. Had been among their best in scratch matches but Collingwood prefer Wills over him. I think he's gettable.
Nah it was Hately

The fact he can't get a game ahead of Wills is bizarre. Wills is one of the most underwhelming players I've seen.

What kind of player is Sier?
Depends how you see him. We haven't had a mid with the running capacity of Stanton since Stanton. As an elite accumulator and distributor he would improve us. If he took Zaka's role he would improve us. I still think we need a big inside body to get the ball out though, and can see that Kelly probably costs too much. He would redress our lack of an elite running player though.

What kind of player is Sier?
Big bodied inside mid at 191cm and 88kg. He was an instrumental part of Collingwood's Grand final run in 2018, playing the last 12 games including all grand finals. I think the knock on him is off-field behaviour as he definitely has the talent to make it at AFL level. Only 21 as well.
He had 21 disposals, 14 contested possessions and 7 clearances in the grand final (which was his debut year).

I was hoping we'd get him last year but he re-signed. Definitely gettable now though.
Nah it was Hately

The fact he can't get a game ahead of Wills is bizarre. Wills is one of the most underwhelming players I've seen.
Ah my mistake.
And yes it is very bizarre. Wills is quite average. At 27, this is his ceiling. You'd think they'd develop Sier at AFL level instead. He can surely at least perform to Wills' level.

Big bodied inside mid at 191cm and 88kg. He was an instrumental part of Collingwood's Grand final run in 2018, playing the last 12 games including all grand finals. I think the knock on him is off-field behaviour as he definitely has the talent to make it at AFL level. Only 21 as well.
He had 21 disposals, 14 contested possessions and 7 clearances in the grand final (which was his debut year).

I was hoping we'd get him last year but he re-signed. Definitely gettable now though.
Cheers! I did a bit of reading in the interim. As soon as I saw the comparison to JPK I was enamoured. I hope Dodo's putting in work. Constable or Sier? Constable surely comes cheaper but Sier's numbers in a grand final are impressive. I actually don't get Collingwood's hesitation unless there's more to Phil Inn than we know.

Ah my mistake.
And yes it is very bizarre. Wills is quite average. At 27, this is his ceiling. You'd think they'd develop Sier at AFL level instead. He can surely at least perform to Wills' level.
I think it speaks volumes about his professionalism. Wouldn't be shocked if he played C Grade Ammo's next year for Marcellin.

Would bring some poise and class to our midfield which we have just about zero of currently. Would 100% improve our team and midfield.

Now if you mean the net benefit to our midfield would not out weigh the cost to get him in then I agree.

I dont think we need to spend big on the midfield, big bodied midfielders who have only ever played midfield are what we should get and they can be drafted or picked off clubs with stacked midfields.

What we need to target aggressively is our forward line, its our weakest line and the source of a lot of our inconsistency. Do it through high end draft capital or by targeting established players, doesn't matter. Just need to get it done.

Caldwell
Drew
Shipley
Brodie
Fiorini
Wines
Constable
Sier
Hopper
Kelly
Crouch
Brayshaw

Some good names in that list, only concern is why aren’t the likes of Sier, Constable, Drew, Brodie, Shipley and Fiorini getting games? The game is moving away from big, slow mids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back