Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
This will be good news for our pursuit of Jye Caldwell. Yew

I’ll have to get a podcast of that. Did they ask him about his kids’ careers?

yes, it was a very open interview! he said they threw my kids under the bus.. - he unloaded on cain liddle mostly.

its funny, when i hear him speak, i hear all the same mannerisims and language as dodo uses - they are either brothers in arms or its how all list managers end up being in the end

yes, it was a very open interview! he said they threw my kids under the bus.. - he unloaded on cain liddle mostly.

its funny, when i hear him speak, i hear all the same mannerisims and language as dodo uses - they are either brothers in arms or its how all list managers end up being in the end
They’re mates, so not too surprising. I still want Essendon to get Jack Silvagni for lulz.

I reckon sos did a pretty solid job at Carlton. They have an absolute truck load of talent on that list. Curnow, Plowman and Marchbank constantly breaking down probably worked against him, not sure that entirely his fault...

Paddy Dow and Lachy OBrien look like misses though.

They’re mates, so not too surprising. I still want Essendon to get Jack Silvagni for lulz.
Yeah he seems to be helping us in the Saad negotiations.

Come to think of it. I wonder how Silvagni will do as a big-bodied mid. :think:
Hmm. Wouldn't be the worst idea to try it.

Why would Carlton draft Brodie with a known ACL that was going to keep him out of this year in the first round, rehab him and then trade him a year later?

Why would Carlton draft Brodie with a known ACL that was going to keep him out of this year in the first round, rehab him and then trade him a year later?

To trade him for Saad a year later??????????????????????????

why would GWS draft Hately, Caldwell and OHallaron and not play them knowing they may lose them all 2 years later?

I dont know Eth? ask them?

While they likely won't, plans can change. Improvement in others for a role they were thinking Kemp would play can change the landscape. Maybe other trade or draft prospects look better than they think Kemp is likely to be. Maybe Kemp hasn't been as professional as they'd like in his rehab. Maybe they'd prefer to give up Kemp and a lower pick than give up pick 7. Not saying any of that has happened, I wouldn't know, but they are scenarios that might leave them open to trading him.

To trade him for Saad a year later??????????????????????????

why would GWS draft Hately, Caldwell and OHallaron and not play them knowing they may lose them all 2 years later?

I dont know Eth? ask them?
I'm asking you since you suggested the trade. He's contracted, highly thought of given they took him in the first round, and they just spent the last 10 months or so rehabbing him.
While they likely won't, plans can change. Improvement in others for a role they were thinking Kemp would play can change the landscape. Maybe other trade or draft prospects look better than they think Kemp is likely to be. Maybe Kemp hasn't been as professional as they'd like in his rehab. Maybe they'd prefer to give up Kemp and a lower pick than give up pick 7. Not saying any of that has happened, I wouldn't know, but they are scenarios that might leave them open to trading him.
Carlton still have a weakness on the inside which is his biggest strength according to most that have seen him play. I'd be gobsmacked if he weren't at Carlton next year.

No one of note thus far wants to come to us and i dont blame them. Personally i think we need to look inwards and develop the players we recruit. Build a us versus them mentality in the group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, just providing reasons on why they might do it, not saying I think it will.
And I thought I'd provide a reason why that wouldn't be the case haha.
Wouldn’t say pick 6 in a weak draft and an over the hill Ryan griffin was overs. Remember the dogs saw Boyd as the next big thing in the afl. Way overs would’ve been bont and pick 6.
Ryan Griffen at the time was a better player than Boyd by himself, let alone pick 6 on top of it. It was well and truly overs. Credit to the Dogs, it did pay off, but the trade was still overs.

I'm asking you since you suggested the trade. He's contracted, highly thought of given they took him in the first round, and they just spent the last 10 months or so rehabbing him.

Carlton still have a weakness on the inside which is his biggest strength according to most that have seen him play. I'd be gobsmacked if he weren't at Carlton next year.

Have you ever heard of tongue in cheek?

Anyway, has a top 20 draft pick never been traded the following year if the club felt like they were getting something better to help them go to next level?

And I thought I'd provide a reason why that wouldn't be the case haha.

Ryan Griffen at the time was a better player than Boyd by himself, let alone pick 6 on top of it. It was well and truly overs. Credit to the Dogs, it did pay off, but the trade was still overs.
Griffen might have been a better player at the time, but it wasn’t like he was a top 30 player in the comp, he was coming off an average season. With Boyd they would’ve been predicting, it’d be like saints trading Max King this year to Sydney for parker and pick 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back