Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
Does no one else find this sh*t funny?

Xavier Menzies, I mean. Not you Fin.
I think it’s kind of sad. But I can see the funny side too.

Ok so here’s what you’ve all been looking for – the 8-way trade that will rejuvenate, restump, refresh, recalibrate the list. I haven’t taken into account FA compo picks or bids pushing back draft picks as too hard to guess at this stage….

Ess In: Dunkley, Caldwell, Brown, Witherden (Salary dump)
Ess Out: Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, 2021 1st

Lose the players asking out– replace Daniher with an AA full forward that actually gets on the park, bring in that A-grade big bodied mid in Dunkley, bring in strong young talent in Caldwell and Dodo will spin it that Witherden replaces Saad. Reckon this would be Dodo’s wet dream. Would need to get the tick of approval from the AFL to trade the future first but imagine this could be argued that the trade includes some young talent including Caldwell and Dunkley. With the talk of Dodo wanting players in return I believe this is the sort of route they would be looking at as the messaging seems to be that Essendon are keen to reload and go again next year… And this could actually significantly improve the 22 compared to what’s been able to get on the park last couple of years....

WB In: 27, 39, 45, 46, 52 Ess 2021 1st, Carl 2021 1st, Aliir
WB Out: Dunkley, 12

If WB get told Dunkley wants out to Essendon they could do worse than this. Turn Dunkley into 2 x 1sts next year (don’t want this year due to JUH) + a misused gun KPD in Aliir while converting their pick 12 into heaps more points for JUH.

PA In: Fantasia
PA Out: 39

PA get a gun small forward for a bargain price.

Carl In: Saad, 12
Carl Out: 2021 1st, 27, 45

Carl keep pick 7, gain Saad and gain pick 12 while giving up points + a future 1st – I think this might actually be too far in Carlton's favour...

NM In: 16
NM Out: Brown, Higgins

I assume Higgins is worth bugger all at the age of 33 before next season starts so pick 16 for Brown basically is I think as good as they’ll get given they’re pushing him out the door.

Geel In: Higgins, Cameron
Geel Out: 11, 13

Geel have to deal with GWS after they threaten to match the Cameron offer and give up a couple of firsts with Higgins coming back to them as well. Makes for a damn scary team again next year….

GWS In: 11, 13, 17
GWS Out: Caldwell, Cameron, 40, 46

GWS get maximum value for it’s wantaway stars and gives up some points back.

Syd In: 40
Syd Out: Aliir

Sydney probably lose out here – that’s what you get for underperforming and playing your players out of position…

Bris In: Daniher (as a free agent) + (Band 1 compo for Daniher)
Bris Out: 16, 17, Witherden (Salary dump)

This one is interesting – basically an agreement between Bris and Ess that Bris ups it’s offer for Daniher as long as we won’t match and agree to give them the compo pick and take on Witherden’s salary. Better than them having to trade 16 & 17 for Daniher that’s for sure! So they get their man, dump salary and upgrade to a higher first round pick.

Last edited:

Bris In: (Band 1 compo for Daniher)

This one is interesting – basically an agreement between Bris and Ess that Bris ups it’s offer for Daniher as long as we won’t match and agree to give them the compo pick and take on Witherden’s salary. Better than them having to trade 16 & 17 for Daniher that’s for sure! So they get their man, dump salary and upgrade to a higher first round pick.
Wait, what?

So you have them trading 16, 17 and Witherden for Daniher and our band 1 compensation pick from Daniher? Which we then turn into Brown and Caldwell?

Wait, what?

So you have them trading 16, 17 and Witherden for Daniher and our band 1 compensation pick from Daniher? Which we then turn into Brown and Caldwell?
Daniher as a free agent. And then Bris get our band 1 compo pick for 16,17 and Witherden.
So instead of us matching their offer and asking for 16 & 17 for Daniher in trade, they get the band 1 compo pick as a bonus at the cost of paying Daniher extra. We in turn take Witherden as a salary dump and he might actually get a game for us with Saad and McKenna gone...
And yes in a way

Ie. Scenario 1 Bris offer a contract to trigger band 2 compo, we threaten to match and force a trade asking for 16 & 17.
Bris lose 16 & 17 for Daniher

Scenario 2 as above.
Bris lose 16, 17 and Witherden for Daniher and the band 1 compo pick.

One shouldn't have any affect on the other. So priority's don't matter with this

I think we will struggle to get Dunkley unless we give up heaps. I think we need get the dogs pick 2 or Zac Merrett for it to even be considered
If we got our hands on pick 2 I’d probably prefer we had a stab at Hollands or McDonald

Yeah he seems to be helping us in the Saad negotiations.

Come to think of it. I wonder how Silvagni will do as a big-bodied mid. :think:
Hmm. Wouldn't be the worst idea to try it.
I've always thought he looked like a footballer.

His dad.
Daniher as a free agent. And then Bris get our band 1 compo pick for 16,17 and Witherden.
So instead of us matching their offer and asking for 16 & 17 for Daniher in trade, they get the band 1 compo pick as a bonus at the cost of paying Daniher extra. We in turn take Witherden as a salary dump and he might actually get a game for us with Saad and McKenna gone...
And yes in a way

Ie. Scenario 1 Bris offer a contract to trigger band 2 compo, we threaten to match and force a trade asking for 16 & 17.
Bris lose 16 & 17 for Daniher

Scenario 2 as above.
Bris lose 16, 17 and Witherden for Daniher and the band 1 compo pick.
Scenario 3 get Brisbane to trigger band 1 compo, then turn around and say haha * you brisbane. Did you forget who you were dealing with? This is for refusing to trade us Jarred Brennan after we tricked you and took Mal Michael for nothing. You might have our measure in H&A and finals, but you will never match us in the off season.

it would be interesting if GWS made a play for joe - they have lost their fwd, joe is marketable and gets them through the gates, he was happy to go to sydney - yet they are a bit of broadway. ticks lots of boxes

then we can have an old fashioned battle for his services, triggering band 1

To everyone saying he nominated Brisbane blah blah.
When was the last time an RFA got matched? You will have two matched this year forcing trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I correct in saying EFC baulked on offering Saad 5 years, but the report is we're offering Caldwell 5 years?
Didn’t we match Blues bid? 5 years for Caldwell seems excessive

Ok so here’s what you’ve all been looking for – the 8-way trade that will rejuvenate, restump, refresh, recalibrate the list. I haven’t taken into account FA compo picks or bids pushing back draft picks as too hard to guess at this stage….

Lose the players asking out– replace Daniher with an AA full forward that actually gets on the park, bring in that A-grade big bodied mid in Dunkley, bring in strong young talent in Caldwell and Dodo will spin it that Witherden replaces Saad. Reckon this would be Dodo’s wet dream. Would need to get the tick of approval from the AFL to trade the future first but imagine this could be argued that the trade includes some young talent including Caldwell and Dunkley. With the talk of Dodo wanting players in return I believe this is the sort of route they would be looking at as the messaging seems to be that Essendon are keen to reload and go again next year… And this could actually significantly improve the 22 compared to what’s been able to get on the park last couple of years....

If WB get told Dunkley wants out to Essendon they could do worse than this. Turn Dunkley into 2 x 1sts next year (don’t want this year due to JUH) + a misused gun KPD in Aliir while converting their pick 12 into heaps more points for JUH.

Carl keep pick 7, gain Saad and gain pick 12 while giving up points + a future 1st – I think this might actually be too far in Carlton's favour...

I assume Higgins is worth bugger all at the age of 33 before next season starts so pick 16 for Brown basically is I think as good as they’ll get given they’re pushing him out the door.

Geel have to deal with GWS after they threaten to match the Cameron offer and give up a couple of firsts with Higgins coming back to them as well. Makes for a damn scary team again next year….

Sydney probably lose out here – that’s what you get for underperforming and playing your players out of position…

As hugely unrealistic as this is, the price for dunks is probably about right. If we could get two first rounders in 2021 for him + points for JUH + our big fullback, I’d hope our list manager pulled the trigger.

The most delicate bit of this whole Dunkley chat is that he’s attached to Bont with velcro. Likely to just about be vice captain next year and would probably be close to captain if Bont wasn’t in the building. We’re also trying to sign Bont up long term so shipping out his best mate wouldn’t help negotiations.

On a side note, you should be looking at Westy on our list. He’s a cannonball and just causes pure carnage in the middle when he’s afforded minutes in there. Will take Libbas spot when he finishes up.

As hugely unrealistic as this is, the price for dunks is probably about right. If we could get two first rounders in 2021 for him + points for JUH + our big fullback, I’d hope our list manager pulled the trigger.

The most delicate bit of this whole Dunkley chat is that he’s attached to Bont with velcro. Likely to just about be vice captain next year and would probably be close to captain if Bont wasn’t in the building. We’re also trying to sign Bont up long term so shipping out his best mate wouldn’t help negotiations.

On a side note, you should be looking at Westy on our list. He’s a cannonball and just causes pure carnage in the middle when he’s afforded minutes in there. Will take Libbas spot when he finishes up.

How tall is he?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gunna need more detail

That convoluted deal has you guys giving up pick 12.

Am I right they said last week he listed three clubs in order of preference Brisbane then Sydney/Geelong? Sounded a bit flexable

My (updated) delusional deals:

1. Joe Daniher for picks 16 and 17
2. Adam Saad and pick 16 for picks 7 and 27
3. Orazio Fantasia for pick 29/31
4. Pick 27 for Peter Wright and pick 34
5. Pick 17 and 29 for pick 12 and 48 (Dogs, get 208 more points for a JUH bid with a further deal on 17 likely)
6. Pick 34 for Xavier O'Halloran
7. Pick 67 for Ben Ronke

I don't want Caldwell. I think offering him 5 years is incredibly silly but I'm seemingly in the minority on that in here. O'Halloran fits us much better and would be cheaper in money and draft value.

Pick 8 (post JUH/Campbell bids): Trade to Geelong for picks 13 and 15
Pick 9: Nikolas Cox/Zach Reid
Pick 15 (post Jones/McInnes bids): Nathan O'Driscoll (fingers crossed)
Pick 16: Jack Carroll
Pick 17: Brandon Walker bid, followed by Caleb Poulter

Use picks 41, 61 and 72/73 to match any bid for Cody Brand and Josh Eyre.

That convoluted deal has you guys giving up pick 12.
Enough points coming back with that package of picks to cover it. Granted we’d have to cut a few more from our list to be able to take those picks in as useable points but we’ve got plenty of deadwood at the end of the list ready to chop.

doesn’t matter anyways as it’s an unrealistic hypothetical. Point was that if that kind of value or package was offered, we’d be idiots to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back