Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
I believe they have to be paid the value of the contract they're under if traded mid-contract? @Lore might know.
Ummm kind of.

The way I understand it is that a player delisted by their current club (i.e. not retired) before the end of their contract then they receive termination payments based on his base contract and a certain number of match payments for any years remaining on the contract. There's a lot of factors and calculations in that and I don't think it includes any incentive payments or that sort of thing.

Termination payments from the previous club are reduced by the amount paid to a player by their new club. So they can't double dip.

It's section 17 and section 18 (pp. 83-86): http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

Ummm kind of.

The way I understand it is that a player delisted by their current club (i.e. not retired) before the end of their contract then they receive termination payments based on his base contract and a certain number of match payments for any years remaining on the contract. There's a lot of factors and calculations in that and I don't think it includes any incentive payments or that sort of thing.

Termination payments from the previous club are reduced by the amount paid to a player by their new club. So they can't double dip.

It's section 17 and section 18 (pp. 83-86): http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

Does a traded player technically count as de-listed for the purposes of the above?

Ummm kind of.

i would have thought if you're traded mid-contract you just get your new contract, since you aren't necessarily being delisted as such.

From what i've read both Wright & Brodie are available cheap & GCS may pick up some salary.
I imagine with a couple of highly rated academy kids coming in for free, plus pick 5, 24 and 35, they're angling for space and cap relief.

i would have thought if you're traded mid-contract you just get your new contract, since you aren't necessarily being delisted as such.

From what i've read both Wright & Brodie are available cheap & GCS may pick up some salary.
I imagine with a couple of highly rated academy kids coming in for free, plus pick 5, 24 and 35, they're angling for space and cap relief.
It's possible but I can't see a description of that mechanism in the CBA, AFL Rules or AFL Regulations.

It's also a common trope at this time of year for a club to pay the difference just to get a particular player off their books.

It's possible but I can't see a description of that mechanism in the CBA, AFL Rules or AFL Regulations.

It's also a common trope at this time of year for a club to pay the difference just to get a particular player off their books.
yep. no idea what Wright or Brodie are on, but they would have renewed before King, Rowell, etc joined.
Suns now have talent to retain and the inflated contracts to meet the floor need to be moved. If we put 450k into Wright and they made up the difference, i'd be keen for our future 3rd.
Brodie i'm less keen on. Prefer O'Halloran & Caldwell plus hitting the draft this year. But again, if cheap and we think he's got what we need, why not.

Looks like poll responses have just about plateaued at ~200, so here are the results and I've changed it to something that doesn't require three pages of scrolling to get to the thread :)

View attachment 984223
hmmm

so the threshold looks to be somewhere in the 147-164 range to hold a player
who didn't vote for Saad!?

Apparently gc are willing to trade pick 5 for a ready made midfielder. Would you guys be willing to trade Merrett or Shiel for 5th pick plus wright and Brodie?
i would move Shiel for 5 alone, but i doubt he moves up there
Same as Merrett tbh. and i wouldn't do the deal for Merrett. We're a good chance to finish bottom 4 next year. Merrett as a FA would get us more in a better draft. 5, future 1st and we send a 2nd back (and throw in Wright & brodie :p )

Guessing they've cooled on Crouch.
Crows could put Matt up if Brad doesn't get them 2 (or even if he does. 1, 2, 5, 9...tasty)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Sam Edmund, no formal interest has been lodged for Brodie or Wright, we're not in the hunt for Crouch, Witherden is gettable but not linked to anyone, and Constable will be looking for a new home but Edmund didn't link him to any particular club either.

Think those are the only ones there we've got any interest in

Looks like poll responses have just about plateaued at ~200, so here are the results and I've changed it to something that doesn't require three pages of scrolling to get to the thread :)

View attachment 984223
Can we get a new pole on all players that have been suggested to be traded in i.e Brown, Witherden, Caldwell, Rhys 'Beastmode' Mathieson etc?

I'm interested to know what the Witherden supporters think he'll bring to the side, because it's not going to be line breaking running off half-back.
I've been wondering if it might serve us better for McGrath to return the the backline and to focus on using the Daniher pick/s to bring in a bigger mid to play through the middle in McGrath's place.

...cue the McGrath mid or back argument.

I'm interested to know what the Witherden supporters think he'll bring to the side, because it's not going to be line breaking running off half-back.
I've been wondering if it might serve us better for McGrath to return the the backline and to focus on using the Daniher pick/s to bring in a bigger mid to play through the middle in McGrath's place.

...cue the McGrath mid or back argument.
Natural half back with tidy skills.

Apologies if it's already been mooted, but what are the chances that Essendon enter into an agreement to pay $50k of Daniher's first couple of Brisbane seasons in order to trigger top-line free agency compo? I.e, Brisbane draw the line at $650k, only netting us an end of R1 pick (likely to be mid 20s after academy bids etc), which we then bump up?
Makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back