Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
Yep. The resentment will sit there for Dunkley and then another club can swoop in next year now they know he’s gettable.

First time in ages that we seem to have targeted a player that other clubs didn’t realise was somewhat gettable.

Next year, a lot of clubs will go for him. Not just us.

It’s this year or it won’t happen for us IMO.
Our relationship is already established. All we need do is be supportive on the periphery during his season of bitterness. Relationship building.

For the love of god can we now never mention the name Ben Brown here again. (have fun Melbourne you both suck)
Hogan to GWS.
Might be a break for the Cats here. Include Clark to Freo and GWS get the player they're asking for.

Cats 1st, WCE 1st, Hogan to GWS
Clark to Freo
Cameron to Cats

We've been more or less mediocre at best for a few years now. The last two years we've gone 3-15 against teams that made finals. I'm one of Wright's biggest supporters, but he's shown to be a 30 goal a year forward.

We're simply not that good. Could it change? Yeah, maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I get it, and half agree with your thoughts. I'm kinda glass half full here.

Wright has played in a team where the midfield has been less than helpful since his 2016 debut. He's 24 now and he could have Merrett, Shiel, Langford, Parish, McGrath, Heppell and if we get lucky, Dunkley feeding him. His 2nd efforts are D grade but the small forwards should step up in this area to keep the ball around.

I feel we are missing that leader who possesses leadership reading mags on the shitter though. Heppell fit is great, probably incredible off field, but we're really missing that Sellwood/Pendles/Hurn type.

to round 11 we had played the bottom half of the ladder save for collingwood, wasn't a true indicator of our formlines. Once we started playing better teams we fell over showing where we were really at
True that, but the injury list around that time hurt a lot.

Adelaide should take Logan McDonald with pick 1 and lure Thilthorpe back to South Australia in a couple of years if the groin issues are resolved. Perth isn't that far from Adelaide so McDonald can get to see family without much drama.

I doubt they do it. They've been burnt so many times.

Joshua caddy is the biggest soft**** I have ever seen play on an afl field. The thing that annoys me the most about him is that with someone of his build(186/88), you'd expect him to just be a bully in the stoppages. But in reality he's scared of the ball. I hate him
Caddy idea probably not the best you're right :p

Do we give Adelaide a call about Brad Crouch as backup if they can't get what they want from the saints and to save face

Pick 8 for B.Crouch and 22

Both picks will drift back a bit

And we barely beat Adelaide who were woeful at the time, only got a draw against the Suns who had fallen away by then, barely beat Freeo and Syd. We was trash on the whole. We need to bottom out to get better, that has been a problem for years just finishing mid table. is the old Richmond syndrome. I dont mind taking all picks to the draft, be bottom 4 next year and build from there. Sure, if we can grab Dunkley we do as have a good group of 22-25 year olds.

Adelaide were starting to be not terrible by the time we played them, they played some decent football in the second half of the year once they got back to South Australia. They were a shambles in the hub, even West Coast struggled in the hub.

I think we're not as bad a side as we looked toward the end, if they spend the off-season building a reliable brand of football not premised on Daniher being a forward target, and see consistent application each week we should be OK.

Seems like the guys we're targetting for trades are all fairly hard working types too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel we are missing that leader who possesses leadership reading mags on the shitter though. Heppell fit is great, probably incredible off field, but we're really missing that Sellwood/Pendles/Hurn type.
WTF 🤨

Do we give Adelaide a call about Brad Crouch as backup if they can't get what they want from the saints and to save face

Pick 8 for B.Crouch and 22

Both picks will drift back a bit
Assuming he's still a FA. why wouldn't we offer enough to get him for free so the Crows get 2 (costs us a slide in draft points.

Adelaide were starting to be not terrible by the time we played them, they played some decent football in the second half of the year once they got back to South Australia. They were a shambles in the hub, even West Coast struggled in the hub.

I think we're not as bad a side as we looked toward the end, if they spend the off-season building a reliable brand of football not premised on Daniher being a forward target, and see consistent application each week we should be OK.

Seems like the guys we're targetting for trades are all fairly hard working types too.
Was only round 8 when we played the Crows. They lost to Kangas by 69 points the following week. Agree with you re need for consistency, but as Worsfold would (always) say, we'll learn from that performance. One of the more encouraging late season performances was against the Eagles. If we had a forward line, we might have won that. Our mids were great that day.

I dont think Dunkley is worth two 1sts. Would only offer one 1st and an upgrade swap on a lower pick. Given the state of our list I would rather split 6, 7, and 8 into 6 picks inside 25 rather than go all out for a second tier midfielder. Two firsts is top 10 player in the comp level of compensation imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back