Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
If players leave a club, do BigFooty members with references to those players in their username qualify for a free username change? Asking for a friend....
Right now anyone can change their user name.

Apologies for late night musings....

IF Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, Merrett all do actually want out. (No, I do not actually want any of them to go - but if they want out then I think we should make it happen). Then something like…

In: P7 (FA compo Daniher), P8, CFC 2021 1st, P12

Out: Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, Merrett

CFC get Merrett, 31 for 8 & CFC 2021 1st

PA get Fantasia for 31

Geel get Saad for P12

Syd/Bris get Daniher as FA

Take to the draft - 6,7,8,12,42

2 x 2021 1sts

Pick up a couple of delisted guys for a 1 year stop gap if we need to fill up spots on the list eg. Pittard. (no - I'm not suggesting he even necessrily play in the best 22 but just to fill up spots after losing so many on the list).

Load up on front ending contracts for eg. Ridley & McGrath and build up a “warchest” for significant offer at Cripps/Bont/Kelly as FA next year. Heck with losing Merrett, Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, McKenna and Hooker & Zaka coming out of long term contracts + many draftees coming in + front loading contracts for next year we could just about offer 2 of them contracts or 1 + J Cameron.

9 news tonight - they spoke to Joey’s manager. Basically said that a decision was not imminent. I’m hoping Essendon get on with things.

Also said that Brisbane were feeling positive about their dealings with the Daniher camp so far. But they’ve also expressed interest in Cameron.

Sam McClure mentioned on FC that Oliver isn’t happy at Melbourne but would likely stay. I’m hoping we’re asking a few questions there.

IF Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, Merrett all do actually want out. (No, I do not actually want any of them to go - but if they want out then I think we should make it happen). Then something like…

PA get Fantasia for 31

Geel get Saad for P12

2 x 2021 1sts

Pick up a couple of delisted guys for a 1 year stop gap if we need to fill up spots on the list eg. Pittard. (no - I'm not suggesting he even necessrily play in the best 22 but just to fill up spots after losing so many on the list).

Load up on front ending contracts for eg. Ridley & McGrath and build up a “warchest” for significant offer at Cripps/Bont/Kelly as FA next year. Heck with losing Merrett, Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, McKenna and Hooker & Zaka coming out of long term contracts + many draftees coming in + front loading contracts for next year we could just about offer 2 of them contracts or 1 + J Cameron.

No

PA get Fantasia for 31

Geel get Saad for P12

2 x 2021 1sts

I don't mind the gist but I'm an instant "No" to any plan involving us losing Merrett and loading up on picks so Dodo can * them up and botch our list once again.

If Merrett and Daniher go Sheil will regret that cup of coffee!!

Brown is a good replacement for Daniher.

If we're trading out Merrett, letting Saad walk when we could meet contract demands and Daniher and Fantasia go then we might as well trade out everyone over 25 who isn't an on field coach. Those guys as well as Hooker are the ones who I have tossed around as our most important at different stages since 2017.

You don’t win a Coleman without being a genuine gun. Only issue is I feel like he has a one dimensional game, which the rest of the league seems to have figured out.
I think it has more to do with a injured knee and a crap side. He kicked 60 3 years in a row . I doubt it took until a fourth year for them to work him out.

If Merrett and Daniher go Sheil will regret that cup of coffee!!

Brown is a good replacement for Daniher.

If we're trading out Merrett, letting Saad walk when we could meet contract demands and Daniher and Fantasia go then we might as well trade out everyone over 25 who isn't an on field coach. Those guys as well as Hooker are the ones who I have tossed around as our most important at different stages since 2017.
Merrett won't go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt we're even looking in this direction, but Tom Green for GWS looks to be a great talent. Plays like an Ox. Would love to get him.
Tom Green or Toby Greene would be okay.

Would happily straight swap Joey for Tom Green, but can't see GWS letting him go. They obviously have a glut of inside mids, but I would see them squeezing out Hopper or Hateley out before they let go of Green or Taranto (both of who have "potential brownlow medalist" stamped in their footy passports).

Rose colored glasses off - Joey D and Ben Brown are similar value, especially considering output over talent.
If we lose JD and end up with BB and a pick or 2 left over, thats a win.

No it isn't. Ben Brown doesn't move us closer to success. He could work at Geelong, but any gameplan like Richmond's (ours) that requires dynamic and lateral movement from their forwards isn't working with Ben Brown. We'd be better off saving the trading resources for the draft.

Rose colored glasses off - Joey D and Ben Brown are similar value, especially considering output over talent.
If we lose JD and end up with BB and a pick or 2 left over, thats a win.

Ben Brown is such a perfect fit for Brisbane it ain't silly. They need a foil for Hipwood that can kick straight. They play direct footy which Brown likes and keep the forward line reasonably open, they then have Cameron at Browns feet.

Joe for Brisbane is not a good fit, him and hipwood are too much alike and both are not reliable shots at goal.

Brown to Essendon is not a great fit either

A) Because he loves cats
B) that shocking hair do
C) Because Ruttens game plan is anything but direct and relies on contested beasts to win the ball and scrounge posessions (of which we do not have and Brown does not posess).

Would rather Guelfi for Jesse Hogan who I have massive concerns over due to his offield antics lack of professionalism, but talent wise should be a gun.

I think trading Merrett for two firsts isn’t at all a bad idea.

We’re not any good.
Our KP stocks are trash.
Our midfield is predictable and vanilla
We need to build from the ground up with youth.

We need to hit the draft hard.

It’s funny because the Hawks are now doing what the efc have done for the past 15 years. I wonder how long it’ll take for the penny to drop.

The way they built their juggernaut was two consecutive elite drafts.

Last edited:
I agree he won't go.

I'm curious though, Does he want to go?

I/we can't know this but it's possible that he wants out and we've said no you're contracted.

If he does want to go we should let him. Keeping Fantasia and Joe hasn't been good for us at all, both worth immensely less than 12 months and the general morale of the club seems to have been negatively effected by it.

I have a terrible feeling we haven't learnt from any of our experiences the last few years.

I agree he won't go.

I'm curious though, Does he want to go?

I/we can't know this but it's possible that he wants out and we've said no you're contracted.
pondered it earlier this year if his head may be elsewhere, or losing the LG vote might play a factor in him thinking about a move.

He has an impeccable CV.
AA before he was 22. Captained us to a win in 2016. Two time BnF winner. VC in 2017

And we felt it fit to demote him cos of defensive running.

I love that he accepted it, but carrying that lack of faith from your peers and employer on the back of what you've done for them has to weigh heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back