Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
I agree he won't go.

I'm curious though, Does he want to go?

I/we can't know this but it's possible that he wants out and we've said no you're contracted.

He won’t go because he’s contracted and Essendon would not even entertain trading him. If he were a free agent, it would be a totally different scenario and he’d be gone IMO.

We’ve got 12 months to get our s**t together.

Rose colored glasses off - Joey D and Ben Brown are similar value, especially considering output over talent.
If we lose JD and end up with BB and a pick or 2 left over, thats a win.
The problem with Ben brown is he’s such a 1 dimensional player. If you can stop him getting the ball on the lead, he doesn’t have an impact on the game.

The problem with Ben brown his he will be a whipping boy before he even arrives... I can't handle another player our moron fans self boo and groan about all game

Most new signings are saviours, this one would be doomed before it began

unless he kicks 10 in a grand final to help us win the premiership i think most fans will reserve their right to boo him, of course I'll be saying then, cool now he can retire on a high note, immediately.

unless he kicks 10 in a grand final to help us win the premiership i think most fans will reserve their right to boo him, of course I'll be saying then, cool now he can retire on a high note, immediately.

it might be a good selling point. Ok Ben , you could be booed by 70k of your own, or stay at norf and get cheered by 15. Any noise is good noise right

My view is the opposite of most on this board, I think Brown would be a great addition to Essendon. We haven't had a lead up forward since Lloyd, and it shows. While we certainly don't have the best entries I50, we also don't have good leading patterns from our forwards putting on quality leads and demanding the footy. At least with Ben Brown, you know he will continue to give good leads, turn back, lead again and give our midfielders an actual target.

do we have the delivery Brown can make use of though?

It would be an interesting experiment for the Umps though
Do they pay a Brown flop when he's inside an Essendon F50?

Spot on.

If you can deliver to Brown and space the ground it’s essentially all over bar the shouting. We’d offer him none of that and you saw how much of a non factor he was this year when North were much the same.

Daniher creates for himself as well as anyone I’ve seen at his height which is the main reason for his success in our forward line and his main point of difference to Brown in terms of the kind of player we would be getting.

Last edited:
Spot on.

If you can deliver to Brown and space the ground it’s essentially all over bar the shouting. We’d offer him none of that and you saw how much of a non factor he was this year when North were much the same.

Daniher creates for himself as well as anyone I’ve seen at his height which is the main reason for his success in our forward line and his main point of difference to Brown in terms of the kind of player we would be getting.

No good service is often due to no good targets. Brown would be there to kick to at least. If we decide not to have a key forward because the rest of our team is no good, we might as well just give up!

Put a Full Forward in the team who leads and put the onus on the midfielders to get it to them.

Or we build a decent midfield, which we almost have, then we realise we have no forward-line?!

My only criticism of Brown would be that he's probably 2 years older than I'd like, but beggars can't be choosers, especially if JD leaves.

Stewart will kick 30 and Brown would kick 40 (assuming normal season length) assuming they're both fit. Imagine the crumbs guys like Tippa would be able to get on the end of. Also gives Stringer a lot more room/freedom to move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Schache was very cheap then sure.
He's played 2 games this year and the Dogs have Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (extremely unlike to drop outside a top 5 bid) in their academy along with Naughton and Bruce as their preferred combination. Can't see him costing more than a packet of chips at this point, or points to cover JUH

How about we give a chance to Crauford or Jones or Eyre, before recruiting some players we pretty much know aren’t going to be much more than a 1.5 goal a game players without many other tricks? Any projection beyond that is pretty optimistic.

Last edited:
How about we give a chance to Crauford or Jones or Eyre, before drafting some players we pretty much know aren’t going to be much more than a 1.5 goal a game players without many other tricks? Any projection beyond that is pretty optimistic.
Get Peter and Ben now. Then the young blokes can develop and not get #1 defender. Ben is older. Peter still young. There size demands attention. Perfect for the young blokes to grow their game and bodies. IIRC Plugger left for Sydney and Saints won a lot of games early. Opposition couldn't read them. They read us well and truly now. Peter and Big Sammy pose problems. Maybe Big Sam can spend some time forward. You never know...see Paul Salmon? ;)

Brown is a very good footballer.
Had a bad year true, but he has significant runs on the board.
However, he would be way too expensive to sign imo, especially since he refused an offer of 750 over 4

Brown is a very good footballer.
Had a bad year true, but he has significant runs on the board.
However, he would be way too expensive to sign imo, especially since he refused an offer of 750 over 4
Expensive to sign??, if anything he’ll be cheap. His market value is at an all time low with north saying they don’t want him, he rejected 3x750 because he wanted the 4 years and it might be the biggest stuff up in recent times and shows the downside to holding out. He’ll be lucky to get 500x2 at this point as there isn’t a huge market for him. (I’m against going after him btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back